Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

45 Pages«<42434445>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
William Schlafer  
#431 Posted : Tuesday, June 5, 2018 1:22:01 AM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 81 time(s) in 68 post(s)
Originally Posted by: M_Cole Go to Quoted Post
Six years ago on my 30th birthday, my wife insisted that she get me a fly rod and I pursue my desire to learn to fly fish.

Welcome! All types are welcome here, spin, bait, fly... even those from south of the border. ;-)

Sounds like your wife is a keeper. You're a lucky man. Good luck with the fly rod. The learning curve is steep, but the rewards are worth it.

-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
KruddyTFB  
#432 Posted : Tuesday, June 19, 2018 1:38:59 AM(UTC)
KruddyTFB

Man
United States

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
My name is Justin, I live in east central Minnesota. I first experienced trout fishing back in 1998, as a sophomore in high school, when a friends step dad taught me how to fly fish. I lost touch with the world of trout fishing when I started my family, 11 years ago. Now my oldest two are getting big enough to throw on a pair of waders and just last year I discovered how abundant trout streams are in Wisconsin. Not the case in my area of Minnesota. I look forward to sharing stories and advise with you all.

-Justin

Edited by user Tuesday, June 19, 2018 4:07:32 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

draik11  
#433 Posted : Tuesday, June 19, 2018 3:50:39 PM(UTC)
draik11

Was thanked: 9 time(s) in 9 post(s)
Welcome to the board, Justin! Glad you can get back into trout fishing!
weiliwen  
#434 Posted : Tuesday, June 19, 2018 4:39:54 PM(UTC)
weiliwen

Man
United States

Was thanked: 24 time(s) in 19 post(s)
Welcome, Justin! In what area of Minnesota are you located?
Bob Williams, "Weiliwen"
KruddyTFB  
#435 Posted : Tuesday, June 19, 2018 10:27:01 PM(UTC)
KruddyTFB

Man
United States

Chisago County. Near Taylors Falls.
WI-fly  
#436 Posted : Thursday, June 21, 2018 5:49:16 PM(UTC)
WI-fly

Man

Was thanked: 21 time(s) in 15 post(s)
Originally Posted by: KruddyTFB Go to Quoted Post
My name is Justin, I live in east central Minnesota. I first experienced trout fishing back in 1998, as a sophomore in high school, when a friends step dad taught me how to fly fish. I lost touch with the world of trout fishing when I started my family, 11 years ago. Now my oldest two are getting big enough to throw on a pair of waders and just last year I discovered how abundant trout streams are in Wisconsin. Not the case in my area of Minnesota. I look forward to sharing stories and advise with you all.

-Justin

Welcome Justin. Lots of great people here on this board, willing to answer questions, myself included.
=============
Curt Rees
Coulee Region Trout Unlimited
Catch fish, have a good time, protect the resource.
CRTU Facebook
CRTU Instagram
Kimber22  
#437 Posted : Sunday, June 24, 2018 2:01:05 AM(UTC)
Kimber22

Man
United States

Hey y'all. Chris from Des Moines. My wife and I just moved back here from New Mexico. Back here for work, and my Mrs and I LOVE fly fishing. I started around 1989 when I picked up my first fly rod, and my new bride just learned about a year and a half ago. We took our first trip to Turtle Creek today. High flows and muddy water. Seen fish but not nary a nibble. Looking forward t next weeks vacation to go to Decorah and fish for 3 days!
thanks 1 user thanked Kimber22 for this useful post.
weiliwen on 6/24/2018(UTC)
weiliwen  
#438 Posted : Sunday, June 24, 2018 1:45:40 PM(UTC)
weiliwen

Man
United States

Was thanked: 24 time(s) in 19 post(s)
Welcome, Chris and wife! Thanks for posting first in the introductions page, that's the way to get yourself going on the right foot.

My son goes to school in Ames, 20 miles north of you, and I am planning to fish NE Iowa on my way from dropping him off August 20. I've only fished Wisconsin so far, so it's high time I expanded my range a bit.

I hope to see you along the streams one day soon. The rivers won't be high forever, and they seem to fall into good shape faster than back West (I'm from Oregon, and streams sometimes ran muddy for a couple weeks after a rain event).

Fishing the spring creeks of the Driftless is a whole lot different than western freestone creeks, and it might take a while to adjust, but be patient. Just about every valley around the Driftless has a creek, and just about every creek has trout!
Bob Williams, "Weiliwen"
Kimber22  
#439 Posted : Sunday, June 24, 2018 2:20:36 PM(UTC)
Kimber22

Man
United States

Originally Posted by: weiliwen Go to Quoted Post
Welcome, Chris and wife! Thanks for posting first in the introductions page, that's the way to get yourself going on the right foot.

My son goes to school in Ames, 20 miles north of you, and I am planning to fish NE Iowa on my way from dropping him off August 20. I've only fished Wisconsin so far, so it's high time I expanded my range a bit.

I hope to see you along the streams one day soon. The rivers won't be high forever, and they seem to fall into good shape faster than back West (I'm from Oregon, and streams sometimes ran muddy for a couple weeks after a rain event).

Fishing the spring creeks of the Driftless is a whole lot different than western freestone creeks, and it might take a while to adjust, but be patient. Just about every valley around the Driftless has a creek, and just about every creek has trout!

Thanks for the tip. The first time I took my wife up to the Jemez mountains she thought there was no way we were going to catch anything. Then I pulled in a little rainbow! Boy was she surprised! Yesterday she really picked out the pockets and fished accordingly. Can't wait to play all over around Decorah and see what we come up with.
WI-fly  
#440 Posted : Monday, June 25, 2018 10:13:23 PM(UTC)
WI-fly

Man

Was thanked: 21 time(s) in 15 post(s)
While I have never fished in Iowa for trout, I do love the Decorah area. I've been there a few times for Nordic Fest and also for my son's cross country meets. The town is so peaceful and seems to have everything you might want. If you fish there, get to the Whippy Dip for ice cream and the Toppling Goliath tap room for fantastic beers.
=============
Curt Rees
Coulee Region Trout Unlimited
Catch fish, have a good time, protect the resource.
CRTU Facebook
CRTU Instagram