Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
MrPlastic  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, July 4, 2018 1:06:33 PM(UTC)
MrPlastic

Man
United States

Hello, I haven't posted much but I do read things here regularly and have a question for those of you who know. I caught a few rainbows fishing the streams around Poynette, WI and noticed on one that the pectoral? fins (under the gill plate) were worn down to nubs or maybe never formed fully, also noticed dorsal fins on two fish that were shorter than normal they felt stubby and lacked the thin fan like end of the webbing. these were all 10 to 14 inch rainbows that I presume were stocked but would these fish have been stocked this year? Or can they survive with deformed fins through winter?
Sponsor
NBrevitz  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, July 4, 2018 3:18:54 PM(UTC)
NBrevitz

Man

Was thanked: 35 time(s) in 30 post(s)
Originally Posted by: MrPlastic Go to Quoted Post
Hello, I haven't posted much but I do read things here regularly and have a question for those of you who know. I caught a few rainbows fishing the streams around Poynette, WI and noticed on one that the pectoral? fins (under the gill plate) were worn down to nubs or maybe never formed fully, also noticed dorsal fins on two fish that were shorter than normal they felt stubby and lacked the thin fan like end of the webbing. these were all 10 to 14 inch rainbows that I presume were stocked but would these fish have been stocked this year? Or can they survive with deformed fins through winter?

Most Rainbows have crappy fins from the hatchery. It’s not necessarily a deformity, their fins were just rubbed raw on the concrete of the hatchery raceway. They can survive indefinitely with bad fins, I’ve caugjt holdovers up to 20 inches that had a bad fin or two.
"I fish because I love to: Because only in the woods can I find solitude without loneliness."
William Schlafer  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, July 4, 2018 7:50:19 PM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 97 time(s) in 83 post(s)
The WDNR (and some other sources) often dump spent Rainbows from the hatcheries into DA streams to be caught by fishermen. And (eventually) feed the Raccoons and other predators. As Nick mentioned, they often are a bit beat up and have deformed fins from the concrete hatchery runs.

UserPostedImage

I don't take much joy in catching these tied old Rainbows. They often don't have much fight in them. But I suppose it's better than just grinding them up for fertilizer. And it gives them a chance to swim with wild Trout towards the end of their careers. A few do surprisingly well and hang on a year or two after they're planted.

-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
MrPlastic  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, July 4, 2018 10:34:23 PM(UTC)
MrPlastic

Man
United States

Thanks for the insight! I figured it was from the hatchery but didnt think that they could last long like that.
Guillermo  
#5 Posted : Thursday, July 5, 2018 12:25:26 AM(UTC)
Guillermo

Was thanked: 25 time(s) in 23 post(s)
Yep that's just par for the course with stocker bows. If you happen upon a rare wild bow from one of the handful of wild populations in Wisconsin, you'll see the drastic difference. They'll be infinitely more colorful, and have beautifully shaped and smooth fins.

Edited by user Thursday, July 5, 2018 12:26:22 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified