Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

3 Pages<123
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
William Schlafer  
#21 Posted : Monday, July 2, 2018 6:13:13 PM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 81 time(s) in 68 post(s)
Originally Posted by: weiliwen Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: William Schlafer Go to Quoted Post
Jay Ford Thurston gave a few ideas in his article this month on where to find good fishable water. I can second his ideas about quizzing bartenders and looking for tribs off bigger streams.

-Bill

He spelled Mat Wagner's name wrong, twice. At least he's consistent.

He's not alone with that. I've been botching both Mat and Geri (Jerri) names for years.

Jay's articles are kind of like reading Melville's Moby Dick. An exercise of both the mind and the tongue.
Smile

-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
shebs  
#22 Posted : Monday, July 2, 2018 8:26:48 PM(UTC)
shebs

Was thanked: 22 time(s) in 18 post(s)
Hey now, be nice to Jay, he's a hell of a lot better writer than our old buddy from Richland Center LOLLOL
A bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work. ~Author Unknown
Modern Translation, with respect for the Notorious B.I.G. : "Fuck Money, Get Fishes"
WI-fly  
#23 Posted : Tuesday, July 3, 2018 11:07:50 PM(UTC)
WI-fly

Man

Was thanked: 21 time(s) in 15 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Buckman Go to Quoted Post
Having just moved into Northern Illinois several months ago, I just recently have found the time to break away from work and home improvement projects to start exploring into Wisconsin as well. Over the years I have had the pleasure to live in some good trout states; PA, CO and MI and I was curious to see how WI would stack up. Armed with a couple books on Wisconsin trout waters, I did what most people are posting to do here in this thread: go explore!

Closest county that I wanted to scout was Dane County, so I took two half days last week to scout around. I've never seen so narrow of water be so deep and so productive at the same time. It was definitely a different type of fishing for me seeing how I could almost jump over the creek plus the vegetation was quite high. Brook trout were biting nicely on spinners both days, even with some slightly blown out conditions from all the rain. I did land a nice 17" brown on a jig as well and it really just set the tone to continue to explore and scout throughout the DA. For me it was great to finally find a "local" creek 1 1/2 hrs away that I can hang my hat on while I try to reach further out. Getting that first fishing spot in a new state eased my mind a bit for sure and gives me confidence to continue to venture out.

Anyhow, just my .02 as well, it really is about scouting for me. I also did a lot of reading back on these threads looking for info on some of the counties that I was interested in.

If you want to check out Vernon and/or La Crosse counties, give me a ring. I'm not a guide; just a guy looking for another reason to get on the water and drink a streamside beer. I'm away from Wisco until mid-July, but happy to connect after that.

Curt -- 608-317-3747
=============
Curt Rees
Coulee Region Trout Unlimited
Catch fish, have a good time, protect the resource.
CRTU Facebook
CRTU Instagram
Buckman  
#24 Posted : Thursday, July 5, 2018 11:37:57 AM(UTC)
Buckman

United States

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Originally Posted by: WI-fly Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Buckman Go to Quoted Post
Having just moved into Northern Illinois several months ago, I just recently have found the time to break away from work and home improvement projects to start exploring into Wisconsin as well. Over the years I have had the pleasure to live in some good trout states; PA, CO and MI and I was curious to see how WI would stack up. Armed with a couple books on Wisconsin trout waters, I did what most people are posting to do here in this thread: go explore!

Closest county that I wanted to scout was Dane County, so I took two half days last week to scout around. I've never seen so narrow of water be so deep and so productive at the same time. It was definitely a different type of fishing for me seeing how I could almost jump over the creek plus the vegetation was quite high. Brook trout were biting nicely on spinners both days, even with some slightly blown out conditions from all the rain. I did land a nice 17" brown on a jig as well and it really just set the tone to continue to explore and scout throughout the DA. For me it was great to finally find a "local" creek 1 1/2 hrs away that I can hang my hat on while I try to reach further out. Getting that first fishing spot in a new state eased my mind a bit for sure and gives me confidence to continue to venture out.

Anyhow, just my .02 as well, it really is about scouting for me. I also did a lot of reading back on these threads looking for info on some of the counties that I was interested in.

If you want to check out Vernon and/or La Crosse counties, give me a ring. I'm not a guide; just a guy looking for another reason to get on the water and drink a streamside beer. I'm away from Wisco until mid-July, but happy to connect after that.

Curt -- 608-317-3747

Awesome, thanks for the offer. I'm going to slowly work my way to that part of the state over the next few months I hope. I still have to hit the popular ones like BEC closer to me...too few hours in the day!
Buckman  
#25 Posted : Thursday, July 5, 2018 1:14:38 PM(UTC)
Buckman

United States

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Gurth Go to Quoted Post
Yeah… I'd skip Dane County altogether. Nothing much here. Flapper Laugh

Seriously though, good that you found success already. Wisconsin is blessed with great fishing waters. Unfortunately for you, it's a bit of a drive from your home to the edge of them.

I live in DC and do well and have many options within 1 – 20 miles of my house. I hit these frequently out of convenience and some are downright great streams.

I will say though that if you enjoyed what you found around here, just wait till you go a bit further.

Thanks, really liking what I see so far from these small creeks. I've studied up pretty well on the DNR maps (my son works for the MI DNR, so would kill me if I didn't!), and I have a few WI trout books; the one I have studied closest is "The Flyfisher's Guide" by Motoviloff updated to the 2016 version.

William Schlafer  
#26 Posted : Thursday, July 5, 2018 5:17:56 PM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 81 time(s) in 68 post(s)
Nothing beats just getting out there and exploring. Be sure you identify multiple streams to visit in case you run into competition out there. The next bridge or the next valley over often has a decent stream worth fishing, but it's always a good idea to have a plan to minimize wasted time driving around.

Be sure to report here what you saw and how it went.

Good luck!
-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos