Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

3 Pages<123>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
WI-fly  
#11 Posted : Thursday, August 9, 2018 6:33:08 PM(UTC)
WI-fly

Man

Was thanked: 22 time(s) in 16 post(s)
Originally Posted by: William Schlafer Go to Quoted Post
I offhandedly mentioned the lack of thin purple sheet foam to a co-worker and got a interesting response as to why: Cosplay. Apparently kids are buying up the stuff in bulk to make costumes of their favorite comic and movie characters. Foam is easy to work with and purple appears to be popular color.

UserPostedImage

I remember a few years back when fly tying feathers got scarce and expensive when women starting using them as fashion accessories in their hair.

Crazy world.

-Bill

Bill - You should read the book The Feather Thief. It's a true account of the obsession with feathers in fashion and fly tying. It is a fantastic read. Once I started reading it, couldn't put it down.
=============
Curt Rees
Coulee Region Trout Unlimited
Catch fish, have a good time, protect the resource.
CRTU Facebook
CRTU Instagram
William Schlafer  
#12 Posted : Thursday, August 9, 2018 7:34:55 PM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 101 time(s) in 87 post(s)
Originally Posted by: WI-fly Go to Quoted Post
I offhandedly mentioned the lack of thin purple sheet foam to a co-worker and got a interesting response as to why: Cosplay. Apparently kids are buying up the stuff in bulk to make costumes of their favorite comic and movie characters. Foam is easy to work with and purple appears to be popular color.

UserPostedImage

I remember a few years back when fly tying feathers got scarce and expensive when women starting using them as fashion accessories in their hair.

Crazy world.

-Bill

Bill - You should read the book The Feather Thief. It's a true account of the obsession with feathers in fashion and fly tying. It is a fantastic read. Once I started reading it, couldn't put it down.

I blame this guy:

UserPostedImage

Dude may look like a lady (from a distance) but when he started wearing feathers suddenly the cost of good saddle hackle skyrocketed.

-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
WI-fly  
#13 Posted : Thursday, August 9, 2018 7:52:11 PM(UTC)
WI-fly

Man

That's hysterical. Related to that, I was at a friend's farm recently and she had several chickens with that long barred hackle. I told her, "If those chickens ever die, call me." I certainly got a strange look from her so I should have prefaced that with my desire for the feathers for fly tying.
=============
Curt Rees
CRTU Facebook
CRTU Instagram
OTC_MN  
#14 Posted : Friday, August 10, 2018 12:56:13 PM(UTC)
OTC_MN

Was thanked: 28 time(s) in 20 post(s)

Great book. Highly recommend it.
"Our tradition is that of the first man who sneaked away to the creek when the tribe did not really need fish."
- Roderick Haig-Brown
shebs  
#15 Posted : Tuesday, August 14, 2018 4:13:48 AM(UTC)
shebs

Was thanked: 26 time(s) in 22 post(s)

There's also a recent episode of this American life about this from NPR
A bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work. ~Author Unknown
Modern Translation, with respect for the Notorious B.I.G. : "Fuck Money, Get Fishes"
thanks 1 user thanked shebs for this useful post.
William Schlafer on 8/14/2018(UTC)
William Schlafer  
#16 Posted : Tuesday, August 14, 2018 4:38:33 PM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Originally Posted by: shebs Go to Quoted Post

There's also a recent episode of this American life about this from NPR

Excellent! Thanks!

-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
WI-fly  
#17 Posted : Wednesday, August 15, 2018 2:12:38 PM(UTC)
WI-fly

Man

Thanks Shebs. I just listened to it yesterday and this morning thanks to your recommendation. It's just as entertaining as the book.

When I was in Costa Rica this summer (after I read the book), I saw some beautiful birds there. In addition to admiring their beauty, I was also thinking about how I would like some of those feathers to add to my tying materials.
=============
Curt Rees
CRTU Facebook
CRTU Instagram
William Schlafer  
#18 Posted : Wednesday, August 15, 2018 3:55:51 PM(UTC)
William Schlafer

When I was in Costa Rica this summer (after I read the book), I saw some beautiful birds there. In addition to admiring their beauty, I was also thinking about how I would like some of those feathers to add to my tying materials.

I'm sure you're aware, but be careful, that might be illegal. Most migratory birds (including Eagles) are protected and you can get in trouble for picking up feathers found on the ground. Turkeys, Pheasants, Geese and other game birds are exempt. Hefty fines for possession of any part of an animal (or plant) on the list.

-Bill

WI-fly  
#19 Posted : Wednesday, August 15, 2018 5:38:56 PM(UTC)
WI-fly

Man

I'm sure you're aware, but be careful, that might be illegal. Most migratory birds (including Eagles) are protected and you can get in trouble for picking up feathers found on the ground. Turkeys, Pheasants, Geese and other game birds are exempt. Hefty fines for possession of any part of an animal (or plant) on the list.

-Bill

Yep. I was only thinking about it. The only thing I came home with were a couple pounds of delicious Costa Rican coffee.
=============
Curt Rees
CRTU Facebook
CRTU Instagram
NE IA Drifter  
#20 Posted : Thursday, August 16, 2018 3:18:21 AM(UTC)
NE IA Drifter

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Anyone know the history of the hippie stomper and who originally tied it? Seems to be pretty popular out in Colorado this yr...