Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
William Schlafer  
#1 Posted : Friday, August 10, 2018 8:26:40 PM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 95 time(s) in 81 post(s)
It seems there is almost no end to the information you can get on the National Weather Service website. Today I discovered they now track Mayfly hatches.

UserPostedImage

When Mayflies hatch in large numbers they can show up on radar scans (as shown in blue in image above) along the upper Mississippi valley. I've seen hatches so heavy they cover bridges, buildings and other structures. Needless to say, the Trout fishing is usually phenomenal during these periods.

-Bill

Edited by user Friday, August 10, 2018 8:28:28 PM(UTC)  | Reason: added text

“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
Sponsor
weiliwen  
#2 Posted : Friday, August 10, 2018 10:49:31 PM(UTC)
weiliwen

Man
United States

Was thanked: 29 time(s) in 24 post(s)
I experienced a little of this a couple summers ago on Indian Lake on the U.P. As evening neared, a big Hexagenia landed on our picnic table. "Neat," I thought. Two hours later, I couldn't see as far as the campground bathrooms 20 yards away. One woman was screaming nonstop, pausing only to breath in. They used snow shovels to make a path to the bathrooms, and a bulldozer to scrape the road clean. The next morning, all the dead bugs were lapping on the shoreline, and it looked like a 4-inch rope was stretched across every beach.

No real comparison, but back when I lived in Oregon, I went to Crane Prairie Reservoir. It's a shallow lake, and was an amazing trout fishery, with double-digit (as in pounds) fish caught every week. When they dammed up the Deschutes to make the lake, they left the trees in the surrounding area. 50 years later, those now dead trees were still there. Perfect for insect life. When I got there, all the trees looked like they'd been wrapped in blue foil. As I paddled closer, I discovered that they were 100% covered by blue damsels. It was pretty awe-inspiring. Then some dumb-ass Johnny Bass-seed planted the lake with LMB and they proceeded to eat the lake clean. No more damsel flies. Or Trout.
Bob Williams, "Weiliwen"
shebs  
#3 Posted : Friday, August 10, 2018 11:32:35 PM(UTC)
shebs

Was thanked: 25 time(s) in 21 post(s)
I've run into that hatch before. Driving across the highway 61 bridge in Hastings after sunset in late june...had to pull over and dig the ice scraper out of my trunk.
They had the plows out in bay city across the river that night.
It's usually end of June, I've seen on the 4th of july in st paul...definitely late this year.
A bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work. ~Author Unknown
Modern Translation, with respect for the Notorious B.I.G. : "Fuck Money, Get Fishes"