Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Life of Riley  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, June 6, 2018 3:51:01 AM(UTC)
Life of Riley

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I've been looking at sling packs so I don't have to shove all my tackle in the kangaroo pouch in the front of my waders. And sometimes it'd be nice on a7 hour slog to have a bottle of water and a sandwich. My buddy has a fish pond one and likes it. I don't fly fish at all if that makes a difference. Thanks for any input. There's some cheap ones on amazon I've looked at too.
Sponsor
FloorCheese  
#2 Posted : Thursday, June 7, 2018 1:06:08 AM(UTC)
FloorCheese

Man
United States

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Depending on your budget, lots of options are available. I fish with a simms headwaters sling pack on long outings and want to bring some cold ones and some tackle. Can't say I love it, but gets the job done. It doesn't have the best way to carry a net, but doesn't move around much and I can fill it up without feeling like I'm being weighed down.
Hoggies  
#3 Posted : Thursday, June 7, 2018 2:30:30 PM(UTC)
Hoggies

Man
United States

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 6 post(s)
What do you use for tackle boxes? That will have the most bearing on how well your stuff fits into a "fly fishing" sling (I use the flambeau model 2003 boxes that are about the same size as "large" streamer boxes... 7" L x 4.125" W x 1.5" D and they fit into the box pockets in my Simms Waypoints stuff fairly well, maybe a little on the snug side).

Edit: full disclosure- I use the Simms Waypoints chest pack and backpack (but I got the large sling for Christmas and exchanged it because I couldn't use the chest pack with it.

Edited by user Thursday, June 7, 2018 5:41:42 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

SquareEgg  
#4 Posted : Friday, June 8, 2018 5:59:56 PM(UTC)
SquareEgg

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
I got the Fishpond Summit sling just before a recent Colorado fishing trip and am very pleased with it. For an extended trip it easily held snacks, water, extra reels, fly boxes, misc. gear, and a jacket. There is a spot on its side to strap in an extra rod or rod tube as well.
I bought this for the same reason you're in the market- Wader pouch was being over-filled. But I'm really excited to use this once I start wet wading this summer.
Djo  
#5 Posted : Saturday, June 9, 2018 10:00:33 PM(UTC)
Djo

I have a smaller Orvis sling pack. I like the size but it would be too small for carrying water and lunch. The quality is high and the features are generally well thought out. There is no good way to carry a net and I find that the strap slips off my shoulder particularly when wearing a rain coat. I glued a piece of on old yoga mat on the strap which helps some. Overall they work but like all solutions for carrying stuff while fishing, they are not perfect.
David
WI-fly  
#6 Posted : Monday, June 11, 2018 3:20:27 AM(UTC)
WI-fly

Man

Was thanked: 22 time(s) in 16 post(s)
I also have the Simms Waypoint sling pack (medium one). It's not big enough to carry a raincoat or lunch, but it does have a divider if you wanted to keep a tallboy kind of cool. Most of my fishing trips don't keep me away from the car all day, so I'm able to make it back to get lunch and other refreshments out of my cooler.
=============
Curt Rees
Coulee Region Trout Unlimited
Catch fish, have a good time, protect the resource.
CRTU Facebook
CRTU Instagram
AutobotTrainer  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, June 20, 2018 3:21:37 PM(UTC)
AutobotTrainer

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I've been using this low cost sling for a couple of years now.

UserPostedImage

It is the right size, sits perfectly on the low back/right side when casting but moves nicely to the front when I need it. I put my net on the high carabiner you see in the pic. I like it better than having it on my back like most vests you see, that way I'm not soaking wet after a release.

You can kinda see it in this pic:

UserPostedImage

It has perfect spots for fly cases, and the little front pocket you see is where my dry fly dressing and extra strike indicators go. I'm telling you, I love this thing. I've used a lot more expensive set-ups from those big name sporting good stores, and they just didn't have the right shape or compartments.

For $20, you can't go wrong!

amazon listing
No thing created by man is infallible.
MrPlastic  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, July 4, 2018 3:15:24 PM(UTC)
MrPlastic

Man
United States

I have the same one as Autobot above and will agree that its great for the price. Out of personal preference I sewed the strap short to get it to ride high on my back. The pack doesnt stick out much and swings under my arm easy for access while wading.

Only negative is that my streamer box fills the big pocket and my beer space is severly limited, lol.
skippie  
#9 Posted : Friday, August 31, 2018 4:13:40 PM(UTC)
skippie

United States

I looked for a long while, I ended up going with the Fishpond Delta sling pack. Love it.