Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Life of Riley  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, September 5, 2018 4:21:03 AM(UTC)
Life of Riley

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
For the sake of discussion let's assume you have a hot 2 mile stretch of river. How long will you let it rest between fishing trips? Not a trickle, but a good size trout stream. A few brook trout, but 95% browns if that makes any difference.
Sponsor
Guillermo  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, September 5, 2018 4:25:19 AM(UTC)
Guillermo

Was thanked: 24 time(s) in 22 post(s)
For a while, if I found a great stretch I'd fish it every few weeks. But in the last few years I've made a concerted effort to seek out new water and greatly expand my options. I'm at a point now where I can practically fish different water every time out for the entire fishing season. Of course, my absolute favorites will get at least a handful of trips every year regardless.
NBrevitz  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, September 5, 2018 7:24:41 AM(UTC)
NBrevitz

Man

Was thanked: 34 time(s) in 29 post(s)
It all depends. If it’s a section that sees plenty of pressure, but you’ve cracked the code on big fish, I wouldn’t worry about it. If they’re fat, dumb and happy, I wouldn’t do more than once a month, you don’t want to educate dumb fish if you can help it.
"I fish because I love to: Because only in the woods can I find solitude without loneliness."
Gurth  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, September 5, 2018 12:04:45 PM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

Was thanked: 62 time(s) in 49 post(s)
Usually, it's really hard for one spot to get back into my queue.

Had a huge day on a favorite small stream in March and have yet to get back to it. Nor have I really wanted to.

Like many around here, I've got a catalog of favorite and/or productive spots and in addition to that, I have a mental list of new places that I want/need to see/fish. Some places have been on that mental to-get-to list for a few years now as other opportunities keep bumping them.

I can see the writing on the wall that I won't even get to some of my favorites this year as time is running out on the season.

Poor me.

To the OP's original question – you can go back the next day if you want. Someone probably fished it the day before you were there and the day before that and the day before that…

The question is whether you want to go back so soon.
Private correspondence at: jkschind "at" tds.net
weiliwen  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, September 5, 2018 12:33:50 PM(UTC)
weiliwen

Man
United States

Was thanked: 24 time(s) in 19 post(s)
I am able to get up to Vernon County so seldom that I have about 6 spots that I have "tucked in my back pocket." On any given visit, I will usually hit perhaps 3 of those, and then spend the rest of my visit looking for new spots. That way, I have a combination of familiarity and exploration.
Bob Williams, "Weiliwen"
William Schlafer  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, September 5, 2018 1:20:08 PM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 81 time(s) in 68 post(s)
I've fished the same spots on the same creek on back to back days, just to see what would happen. The Trout didn't seem to care. As long as they're hungry, they seem to recover quite quickly. Trout do wander around a bit, but they tend to seek out the same feeding/holding spots year after year.

-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
Gurth  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, September 5, 2018 1:29:16 PM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

Was thanked: 62 time(s) in 49 post(s)
Think of it this way too…

Let's assume a decent/good stream. 1000 trout per mile. Maybe 200-300 are catchable size.

You had a good day and landed 20.

That leaves 380-580 that you didn't catch in those 2 miles.
Private correspondence at: jkschind "at" tds.net
Hoggies  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, September 5, 2018 4:39:44 PM(UTC)
Hoggies

Man
United States

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 6 post(s)
Guilty of that, but this season I'm averaging about 1.5-2 hours every 2-3 weeks 😖.
OTC_MN  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, September 5, 2018 7:26:06 PM(UTC)
OTC_MN

Was thanked: 22 time(s) in 15 post(s)
I'll fish a stretch, turn around and fish it again if I think it's worth it. Something turns on - the fish, a hatch, or the little light bulb over your head - half way or more through a stretch, I figure I'm better off fishing than driving. Sort of depends on where I am and how far something else is away though.

That said, it's not something I do often, because I get bored with the same water.
"Our tradition is that of the first man who sneaked away to the creek when the tribe did not really need fish."
- Roderick Haig-Brown
madguy30  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, September 5, 2018 8:56:17 PM(UTC)
madguy30

Was thanked: 10 time(s) in 9 post(s)
I've pinpointed a couple spots that I go back to throughout the winter and spring and once more in late summer.

I think they're pretty popular stretches but fish are fish and there's usually plenty around.