Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

3 Pages<123>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Poctuk_xboctuk  
#11 Posted : Monday, September 10, 2018 2:15:44 PM(UTC)
Poctuk_xboctuk

Man

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I have spent a lot of time on that stream, and aside from one time have never been skunked. The one time I was skunked I brought a beginner with me who Sasquatched through the tall grass, scaring off every fish an animal in the county in the process. There’s a lot of walking to the holes, and a lot of stealthiness. But when it’s on it can be quite good. There are some big trout in there, but don’t expect to catch them without paying your dues: which includes getting eaten alive by bugs, sloshing around in boggy filth, falling in the gopher holes, and shaking your fist and a lot of blown opportunities. Coincidentally I was at my local Orvis store where when mentioning that I just fished this creek the sales rep said: “nobody fishes is that stream“, implying that it’s too hard to fish. Moral of the story: don’t believe the hype that it’s too hard to fish, and just because a guy works at a fly shop doesn’t necessarily mean he knows what he’s doing. You gotta put in your dues, and stick with a stream until you figure out how to unlock it.

I also like its neighboring stream, since were talking in riddles I will call it a stream of tales, which many also say isn’t worth it for similar reasons, but quite easy and fun when you’ve read the plot.

Tight lines, and stay patient.
thanks 1 user thanked Poctuk_xboctuk for this useful post.
briz on 9/10/2018(UTC)
briz  
#12 Posted : Monday, September 10, 2018 4:00:36 PM(UTC)
briz

Man

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Poctuk_xboctuk Go to Quoted Post
I have spent a lot of time on that stream, and aside from one time have never been skunked. The one time I was skunked I brought a beginner with me who Sasquatched through the tall grass, scaring off every fish an animal in the county in the process. There’s a lot of walking to the holes, and a lot of stealthiness. But when it’s on it can be quite good. There are some big trout in there, but don’t expect to catch them without paying your dues: which includes getting eaten alive by bugs, sloshing around in boggy filth, falling in the gopher holes, and shaking your fist and a lot of blown opportunities. Coincidentally I was at my local Orvis store where when mentioning that I just fished this creek the sales rep said: “nobody fishes is that stream“, implying that it’s too hard to fish. Moral of the story: don’t believe the hype that it’s too hard to fish, and just because a guy works at a fly shop doesn’t necessarily mean he knows what he’s doing. You gotta put in your dues, and stick with a stream until you figure out how to unlock it.

I also like its neighboring stream, since were talking in riddles I will call it a stream of tales, which many also say isn’t worth it for similar reasons, but quite easy and fun when you’ve read the plot.

Tight lines, and stay patient.

shhhh no its too hard to fish and pressured.
Had a pleasant and interesting walk along it after the floods in full sun and didn't get skunked
madguy30  
#13 Posted : Tuesday, September 11, 2018 1:29:04 AM(UTC)
madguy30

Was thanked: 10 time(s) in 9 post(s)
That stream has quite a few fish in it and some nice ones too.

It's tough to fish due to the mud/silt and banks but has some spots that can be fun. I've hit it in the winter the last few seasons to get my fix with the tenkara rod and have seen/caught plenty of fish. It's kind of unusual compared to the typical riffles and such in a lot of driftless streams so the fish hang out in odd places but they're around.

Certainly not a go-to. But at least it's there.

Not sure about the 'educated' thing...it's like any other body of water with fish in it--if fish are feeding or hungry they hit, if not, they don't.

I tend to go for a run after fishing and it's a pretty good place for that too.
Gurth  
#14 Posted : Tuesday, September 11, 2018 1:34:23 PM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

Was thanked: 62 time(s) in 49 post(s)
don’t believe the hype that it’s too hard to fish, and just because a guy works at a fly shop doesn’t necessarily mean he knows what he’s doing.

So true…

We've got a couple here that seem to be… how to put it… fronting a bit? I can tell right away that they don't have a good knowledge base of the streams in the area and I don't bother to engage them despite their attempts to draw info out of me.

Then there are the ones like Larry up in Hayward who take one look at you and see right through your bullshit and make you feel like a noob.

To be fair though, compared to him, most of us are.

I like him and his curmudgeonly way. Tells it exactly as he sees it and doesn't beat around the bush. Has been quite helpful to me.

Edited by user Tuesday, September 11, 2018 1:45:49 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Private correspondence at: jkschind "at" tds.net
weiliwen  
#15 Posted : Friday, September 14, 2018 3:29:58 PM(UTC)
weiliwen

Man
United States

Was thanked: 24 time(s) in 19 post(s)
Strike two!

I went back to the creek, a slightly different place. Beautiful water, lots of hiding places for the trout, water temps were perfect at 62, but I didn't see a single trout, not even swimming away from me. I used hoppers and pink squirrels. I guess I could have put on some other nymphs, but without seeing a single fish, why?

Unlike my last visit, I got frickin' eaten alive by mosquitos, despite a liberal dose of 40% Deet insect repellent. Again, a long hike from trailhead to creek through tall and bent-over grass, very swampy.

I'll go one more time this fall a bit upstream where I was before, where it meets a tributary, and see if things are better there.
Bob Williams, "Weiliwen"
NBrevitz  
#16 Posted : Friday, September 14, 2018 4:24:16 PM(UTC)
NBrevitz

Man

Was thanked: 34 time(s) in 29 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Gurth Go to Quoted Post
don’t believe the hype that it’s too hard to fish, and just because a guy works at a fly shop doesn’t necessarily mean he knows what he’s doing.

So true…

We've got a couple here that seem to be… how to put it… fronting a bit? I can tell right away that they don't have a good knowledge base of the streams in the area and I don't bother to engage them despite their attempts to draw info out of me.

Then there are the ones like Larry up in Hayward who take one look at you and see right through your bullshit and make you feel like a noob.

To be fair though, compared to him, most of us are.

I like him and his curmudgeonly way. Tells it exactly as he sees it and doesn't beat around the bush. Has been quite helpful to me.

If you get Larry going, the man won’t stop talking. He’s got dirt on every fly shop owner in WI, I’m convinced😂
"I fish because I love to: Because only in the woods can I find solitude without loneliness."
Gurth  
#17 Posted : Friday, September 14, 2018 6:03:27 PM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

Was thanked: 62 time(s) in 49 post(s)
Originally Posted by: weiliwen Go to Quoted Post
Strike two!

I went back to the creek, a slightly different place. Beautiful water, lots of hiding places for the trout, water temps were perfect at 62, but I didn't see a single trout, not even swimming away from me. I used hoppers and pink squirrels. I guess I could have put on some other nymphs, but without seeing a single fish, why?

Unlike my last visit, I got frickin' eaten alive by mosquitos, despite a liberal dose of 40% Deet insect repellent. Again, a long hike from trailhead to creek through tall and bent-over grass, very swampy.

I'll go one more time this fall a bit upstream where I was before, where it meets a tributary, and see if things are better there.

UserPostedImage

Laugh Flapper

My guess would be that a streamer might be better this time of year in that water. I'm getting most of my hits deep right now.
Private correspondence at: jkschind "at" tds.net
thanks 1 user thanked Gurth for this useful post.
weiliwen on 9/14/2018(UTC)
William Schlafer  
#18 Posted : Saturday, September 15, 2018 3:50:22 AM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 81 time(s) in 68 post(s)
I was out today on a western Dane County stream. The mosquitoes were really nasty early on. A bit wind would've helped. But around 10:30 the mosquitoes let up and the Trout stated biting instead.

Some nice Brookies that ate my hoppers:
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

And yes, the stream really was that narrow in the the middle photo. But that little creek was deep and had big undercuts under the grass. Lots of cover for Trout, and you could usually get right on top of them.

Had to quit mid-day, due to time constraints. It was getting really uncomfortably hot anyway. Where's that nice cool September weather we normally have?

-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
weiliwen  
#19 Posted : Saturday, September 15, 2018 1:38:06 PM(UTC)
weiliwen

Man
United States

Was thanked: 24 time(s) in 19 post(s)
That's it Bill, rub it in!Laugh

Seriously, I'll get there (in ability, that is - I dunno where the stream is.) as with most things, experience, in my case time in my car and time in the water, will make the difference.

Edited by user Saturday, September 15, 2018 1:38:39 PM(UTC)  | Reason: None

Bob Williams, "Weiliwen"
William Schlafer  
#20 Posted : Saturday, September 15, 2018 5:23:36 PM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 81 time(s) in 68 post(s)
I have to admit, I got a hot tip on this great little stream from Gurth. Thanks buddy! Could've been a big numbers day if I had more time and energy.

Water flows on most of the SW Wisconsin Driftless Area streams (excluding the flood areas) are really good right now with aquifers receiving a big recharge after all the rain we got a few weeks ago. The streams are not weed choked, as they normally are in late summer and many have had silt build up washed away. The high water has also knocked down many of the weeds and brush along the stream banks, making it possible to get in some places that normally inaccessible.

UserPostedImage

The downside is that the wet and warm weather created a major mosquito and flying gnat bloom in the last week. I still have phantom itching from Friday's outing. Cover up and apply bug repellent to all exposed skin.

Hoppers and other bugs along the creeks are plentiful right now and the fish are happily feeding. Other fishermen I've talked too are saying that everything from streamers, nymphs, dry flies and terrestrials are all working equally well.

If the weather holds up, the final four weeks of the inland season are setting up for a great finish.

-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos