Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

3 Pages<123
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Guillermo  
#21 Posted : Wednesday, August 29, 2018 2:02:38 AM(UTC)
Guillermo

Was thanked: 24 time(s) in 22 post(s)
Panther martins and Mepps french spinners are the 2 lures I keep around for when I get the urge to spin fish, or if the creek makes fly fishing impossible and spinners are the only way. You just can't use the really small ones or you'll be gut hooking trout left and right.

Contrary to popular opinion, I think Mepps french spinners are just as effective as panther martins. I think they especially shine on spooky trout and calm water because they tend to hit the water with less of a splash. French spinners have a local cult following for Langlade county brookies and big browns.
thanks 1 user thanked Guillermo for this useful post.
s.t.fanatic on 8/29/2018(UTC)
NBrevitz  
#22 Posted : Wednesday, August 29, 2018 5:39:02 AM(UTC)
NBrevitz

Man

Was thanked: 34 time(s) in 29 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Guillermo Go to Quoted Post
Panther martins and Mepps french spinners are the 2 lures I keep around for when I get the urge to spin fish, or if the creek makes fly fishing impossible and spinners are the only way. You just can't use the really small ones or you'll be gut hooking trout left and right.

Contrary to popular opinion, I think Mepps french spinners are just as effective as panther martins. I think they especially shine on spooky trout and calm water because they tend to hit the water with less of a splash. French spinners have a local cult following for Langlade county brookies and big browns.

Yep, I only use the #2 Panthers in the winter if the fishing is really, really slow, but for summer fishing even #6s can get swallowed pretty easily.

And that makes sense, wasn’t Mepps headquartered in the area for quite a while? I think they work and I genuinely like their Salmon spinners, but between the clevis and the light weight they just don’t fish well on a lot of the streams I frequent. If I’m fishing a big shallow riffle they’ll get pulled out.
"I fish because I love to: Because only in the woods can I find solitude without loneliness."
Guillermo  
#23 Posted : Wednesday, August 29, 2018 5:49:15 AM(UTC)
Guillermo

Was thanked: 24 time(s) in 22 post(s)
Originally Posted by: NBrevitz Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Guillermo Go to Quoted Post

Yep, I only use the #2 Panthers in the winter if the fishing is really, really slow, but for summer fishing even #6s can get swallowed pretty easily.

And that makes sense, wasn’t Mepps headquartered in the area for quite a while? I think they work and I genuinely like their Salmon spinners, but between the clevis and the light weight they just don’t fish well on a lot of the streams I frequent. If I’m fishing a big shallow riffle they’ll get pulled out.

Yep, they're still headquartered in Antigo.
s.t.fanatic  
#24 Posted : Wednesday, August 29, 2018 2:32:47 PM(UTC)
s.t.fanatic

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
I'd go the crawler rout with no sinker unless absolutely needed or #7 floating Rapala. He may have trouble with snagging bottom with spinners.
jfinn  
#25 Posted : Tuesday, September 25, 2018 5:12:36 PM(UTC)
jfinn

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I'm going to be taking the boy out this Saturday finally after having to delay it almost a month due to my schedule and mother nature. I will let you guys know how we do and hope to get another member of my family hooked on trout.
thanks 3 users thanked jfinn for this useful post.
William Schlafer on 9/25/2018(UTC), weiliwen on 9/25/2018(UTC), Gurth on 9/25/2018(UTC)