Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
William Schlafer  
#1 Posted : Sunday, September 30, 2018 4:24:22 PM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 95 time(s) in 81 post(s)
Don't be like these guys:

UserPostedImage

Friday I was out fishing a beautiful little stream I had never been to before. I parked the car and started working my way upstream, when a red pickup truck pulled up next to my car. If full view of me fishing the stream just yards away, they geared up and hopped 100 yards upstream of me and began fishing. I had only been fishing for about 20 minutes and had planned on at least several hours at this spot.

I should've marched up and confronted them for their douche-baggery, but I just don't have the time or energy for it anymore. It's likely they would think they did nothing wrong anyway, or probably just don't care. Either way, I choose not to waste my time on them.

For your newbies out there, if you come across someone already at a bridge or an access point, move on to the next spot, or find another stream. Or at a minimum, ask whoever is there first if they mind if you fish in the opposite direction they are fishing.

-Bill

PS: and, if by chance one of these guys is you, the least you could've done was asked if it was OK instead of just pretending you didn't see me.

Edited by user Sunday, September 30, 2018 6:10:06 PM(UTC)  | Reason: added text

“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
Sponsor
NBrevitz  
#2 Posted : Sunday, September 30, 2018 11:18:45 PM(UTC)
NBrevitz

Man

Was thanked: 34 time(s) in 29 post(s)
Jackassery at its finest... I probably would’ve said something but that’s ended badly before.

This is one reason I don’t like to fish easements when I have the choice. Once I’m in, no one can get above me.
"I fish because I love to: Because only in the woods can I find solitude without loneliness."
weiliwen  
#3 Posted : Monday, October 1, 2018 1:12:04 PM(UTC)
weiliwen

Man
United States

Was thanked: 29 time(s) in 24 post(s)
Quite a dick move on their part. I, for one, count a section as "taken" if there is a vehicle parked nearby. The area has so many places to fish, there's no need to crowd others. This weekend, on the North Fork Badaxe, I only saw two other vehicles on the whole river. Plenty of room.
Bob Williams, "Weiliwen"
Guillermo  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, October 2, 2018 12:39:52 AM(UTC)
Guillermo

Was thanked: 24 time(s) in 22 post(s)
I get around this shit by fishing the most remote, out-of-the way water I find. Not only does it eliminate the jackasses and reduce the litter tainting the aesthetic value of the land, but it tends to result in more fish and bigger fish. Win-win.