Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
ogandrews  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, October 16, 2018 12:18:48 PM(UTC)
ogandrews

United States

Hey everyone, just stumbled across this forum last night while looking for information on this topic. I am mainly a bass/esox fishermen but have been trout fishing the driftless as well for a few years now and loving it. I have caught my fair share of good sized browns from trout streams on spinners and small rapalas, but I have stumbled on somewhat of a pattern in the bigger rivers this year. I spend a lot of time floating or wading the “larger” rivers of se mn which trout streams dump into. During the spring winter and fall, I have been hooking into the biggest trout of my life using smallmouth tactics like soft plastic tubes and paddle tail swimbaits like keitechs or jackall rythem waves. On average these fish are much bigger than the ones I have found in true trout streams, although in lower numbers. I have found that these browns love the mid depth fast moving pools just before a big set of rapids, as well as bridge pilings. For some reason i haven’t had the same luck in pools bellow fast water or the riffles themselves. Has anyone else had luck catching browns in larger rivers not designated for trout?
Sponsor
Hoggies  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, October 16, 2018 5:38:30 PM(UTC)
Hoggies

Man
United States

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 6 post(s)
Meat eaters go where the meat is, as long as it's cold enough.
shebs  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, October 16, 2018 7:01:23 PM(UTC)
shebs

Was thanked: 26 time(s) in 22 post(s)
A lot of those larger rivers will have occasional springs too where those fish can hunker down. But especially early season, larger/non-des water is where I often hunt for bigs.
A bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work. ~Author Unknown
Modern Translation, with respect for the Notorious B.I.G. : "Fuck Money, Get Fishes"
Deanglr  
#4 Posted : Monday, October 22, 2018 6:24:11 PM(UTC)
Deanglr

United States

New member here.
This will be a long few months til trout season opens again.
I've read about the strong smallie populations in the Grand and Platte riversheds, want to try these areas.
I've done a lot of lake smallie fishing, not much in streams, especially in winter.
Note: stream being "wadeable" is pretty important to me - some bad experiences in deep muck this year have given me religion in this regard.
Any thoughts/experiences to share?
Thanks!