Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages<12
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
FisherMan  
#11 Posted : Monday, October 22, 2018 3:38:57 PM(UTC)
FisherMan

I think I will buy a cheap vest that I seen a my local store, $20-25. It’s more the classic style, but I could see if I like it better than my sling pack. I just can’t pull the trigger on a high end vest yet... not until I see if I can get use to having stuff on my chest while I fish.
Twill89  
#12 Posted : Tuesday, October 23, 2018 3:05:06 AM(UTC)
Twill89

I’ve gone back and forth with all these options too. While I prefer to go minimalist and just use the pockets I have, at the end of the day that doesn’t cut it for me for most of the year.

Last winter I bought this vest to replace a hip pack I was using, and I’ve really liked it!

https://www.patagonia.co...-fishing-vest/89166.html

It carries just the right amount of stuff from short trips to day long excursions, including food, water, and clothing layers (provided they are low bulk). I wanted an option that would work well to carry extra gear in winter, but not be heavy and hot in summer.

I enjoy it’s versatility, and honestly with everyone and their brother using hip packs and sling packs these days, I feel like a vest is a fashionable and hip choice haha! It breaths well in summer, offers plenty or organization (I keep discovering pockets I didn’t even know it had) and attachment points, and it rides well even when fully loaded.

I feel like it is a really good compromise of minimalism, carrying capacity, and functionality. I recommend it!!
FisherMan  
#13 Posted : Tuesday, October 23, 2018 4:05:31 AM(UTC)
FisherMan

I like the looks of this vest, looks like it would carry most of what I think I need. I did pick up a cheap classic style vest today at a local sporting goods store. I will try it out and see if I think I would like a vest more than my sling pack.

https://www.basspro.com/...t-hills-fly-fishing-vest
big_river_bum  
#14 Posted : Tuesday, October 23, 2018 9:40:06 AM(UTC)
big_river_bum

Was thanked: 17 time(s) in 14 post(s)
https://www.patagonia.co...ling-8-liters/48156.html

2 fly boxes, hemostats, clippers, tippet, and floatant up front

beer, extra boxes, extra rod if needed, bug spray, headlamp, extra reel, everything else in back
rschmidt  
#15 Posted : Tuesday, October 23, 2018 11:35:13 AM(UTC)
rschmidt

Was thanked: 35 time(s) in 31 post(s)
OTC_MN  
#16 Posted : Tuesday, October 23, 2018 1:24:17 PM(UTC)
OTC_MN

Was thanked: 30 time(s) in 22 post(s)
I've run the gamut from vests to slings to chest packs and back over the years. For the last couple years I've been using a Simms chest pack that detaches from the harness so I can either have just the straps, or a backpack. For short stretches, I'll just have the chest pack. For longer days, if I need to pack a lunch, water bottle, jacket, or if I'm just bringing lots of stuff, I use the backpack. (If I'm being honest, I bring the backpack the majority of the time. I carry an embarrassing number of fly boxes...Blink )

I can attach a net to the back of either one, although when I'm using the backpack, a lot of the time I just stick the net handle behind the pack itself between fish.

Nets are the one issue I have with sling packs, as much as I like them in other respects. I have a net with kind of a long handle, and prefer to have my net hanging off my back on a cord with a magnetic keeper, and that just doesn't work very well with sling packs. If I do grab my sling pack, I have a shorter handle net I can attach to my wader belt.

I don't think Simms makes the chest pack/backpack combo I have any more, but if I were looking today, I'd look hard at this from Umpqua: Umpqua Zero Sweep Kit
"Our tradition is that of the first man who sneaked away to the creek when the tribe did not really need fish."
- Roderick Haig-Brown
sasquatch  
#17 Posted : Thursday, October 25, 2018 5:10:00 AM(UTC)
sasquatch

Man

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 3 post(s)
I used to wear a cheap ass vest that was two sizes too small for years.. It was awesome. The small size made it sit very high on my shoulders so that the bottom pockets wouldnt get wet when i go nipple deep. I now wear a small de-bladdered Camelback back pack. Rides high on the shoulders, again great for deep water crossings. My motto has always been the cheaper the better. Phuck expensive vests.. I mean how much can a sleeveless shirt full of pockets actually cost to make?
"...let that phucker sink for awhile..." ~sasquatch~
Hoggies  
#18 Posted : Monday, November 5, 2018 3:33:30 AM(UTC)
Hoggies

Man
United States

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 6 post(s)
I have the Simms waypoints chest pack and backpack (maybe the same one as OTC?). Good balance of storage and access with the option to drop the back for short trips (plus the backpack is super well made and works well as a daypack for hiking, trips to the zoo with the kids etc). Buying both will run you around $200 online (steep and cheap has the backpack for $112 and the chest pack usually goes for about $75 when the sales hit).