Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
William Schlafer  
#1 Posted : Friday, November 2, 2018 5:49:23 PM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 97 time(s) in 83 post(s)
Now that I'm in winter shutdown I've been evaluating my gear and thinking more about expanding my fly fishing experience for next season. My thought is to dabble with targeting Bass next season, to provide an alternative when conditions for small stream Trout fishing is not ideal.

When I was a kid I used to chuck plastic worms and surface bass plugs with my trust Zebco 606 mounted to a short stiff casting rod on small ponds and impoundments that dot SW Wisconsin. These ponds were stocked by the DNR with Largemouth Bass. which would grown to impressive size eating frogs and other pond critters. Plop the lure into a opening in the lily pads and then try to horse the fish away from the vegetation when the strike came.

These days I'd like to try for Small Mouth Bass on larger warm water rivers around the Driftless Area using a fly rod and chucking streamers. There are also lots of lakes and waterways where I live around Milwaukee that would provide me with opportunities to fish, that aren't a 3 hour drive away.

I have a cheap 5W 9' combo that has spent most of it's life in the closet, but I've never been really happy with the way it casts. I've been searching for a shorter, stiffer rod. Last weekend I found the St. Croix Mojo Bass Rod and gave it the indoor waggle test. It's 7' 11" and very stiff in the first section above the handle, but still has what seems like good sensitivity towards the tip end. Enough horsepower to heft a larger fish and capable of handling larger heavier streamers. It only comes in 7, 8 & 9 weights, but this also opens up the possibility of using it in the future for even bigger prey, like Pike or Musky.

Gunner Brammer posted a rave review on YouTube.

I have a 3W St. Croix rod that I've used sporadically over the years and have been generally pleased with it's quality and value. I'd be interested in hearing comments if anyone has had any experience with the Mojo Bass Fly rod.

Thanks!

-Bill

Edited by user Friday, November 2, 2018 5:51:16 PM(UTC)  | Reason: damned typos!

“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
Sponsor
weiliwen  
#2 Posted : Friday, November 2, 2018 6:23:43 PM(UTC)
weiliwen

Man
United States

Was thanked: 29 time(s) in 24 post(s)
That's exactly what I've been looking for, a fairly short 7 weight bass rod. It's on my Christmas list now.
Bob Williams, "Weiliwen"
FisherMan  
#3 Posted : Monday, November 5, 2018 9:19:13 PM(UTC)
FisherMan

Thanks Bill, after watching the video.... I noticed that my local Bass Pro had a couple of these rods. Now they have one less.
Played with it out in the yard...... so far, I like it. I’ll have to tie on a big popper and see how well it works. It’s raining now.......
EddieRivard  
#4 Posted : Friday, November 9, 2018 3:39:56 PM(UTC)
EddieRivard

Was thanked: 20 time(s) in 13 post(s)
I've owned a 7 weight Mojo Bass since the summer of 2017. I originally bought it for mousing at night since it was the shortest 7 weight I could find. I wanted a rod that would excel in close quarters combat with big browns on small creeks. The rod worked very well for that.

I'm sure the Mojo Bass would be a fine rod for Bass and other warmwater species like Pike and Walleye but If I was you I would consider 9 foot options as well in both 7 and 8 weights.

The reason why Saint Croix made the Mojo Bass at 7'10" was so that it would be legal to use on the Bass Tournament Circuit. I'm not sure if the Bass Circuit still has that rod length rule in effect or not but a one time they had to make it because rod lengths were getting out of hand. At least that's what I gathered in my limited research.

The next thing you need for bass fishing is different lines. You'll want a floating line for fishing poppers and an intermediate or sinking line for fishing things like Murdich Minnows.

For those different lines you are going to need a reel with extra spools. Lamson Liquid is a good option for that since you can get a pretty good deal on a real that comes with three spools. Imagine the possibilities!

Most of my time this past summer was spent pursuing Musky but I also spent a lot of time exploring small to medium sized warmwater rivers for bass and pike. I had so much fun on this one little stream i found where I could catch so many 19" to 23" Pike. While a twenty inch trout is revered a 20 inch Pike is usually scoffed at. More for me I guess.

ThumpUp

Edited by user Friday, November 9, 2018 3:41:59 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Fixun sum spellun errs