Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

50 Pages«<4445464748>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
madguy30  
#451 Posted : Friday, November 9, 2018 12:35:08 AM(UTC)
madguy30

Was thanked: 12 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Originally Posted by: William Schlafer Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: NBrevitz Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: William Schlafer Go to Quoted Post
Yeah, I mean really.

These repetitive fishing shows with over amped Type A personalities screaming around in $80K bass boats, with enough electronics and equipment onboard to conduct a moon landing, constantly self promoting and pitching their product endorsements... Ugh. It's done.

Give me real guys hacking their way through the bush like a couple of Voyageurs to remote and technically challenging rivers and streams to catch fish in places few would venture to go. Now that's real fishing.

Plus I'd really love to have a cool t-shirt that says: "...let that phucker sink for awhile..." with an silhouette outline of Sasquatch's head of awesome dreads.

-Bill

No kidding. I like the Lindners because they fish for everything and use new baits and techniques. At least I actually learn something watching their show. Bill Dance is funny, but I can only appreciate so many 5 lb Largemouth from private ponds in Tennessee. That’d be like heading to the DA Bridge ponds and being like, “Wow! Another 24 inch Brown!”

And don’t get me started on Mike I, losing his shit when he loses one 4 lb Smallmouth, only to catch another within 15 minutes.

I’d be game for portaging into some cool shit. I’ve got a crazy idea for next summer, 14 miles up a river in Ontario. Brookies could be huge. Could be full of Lakers in the attached Lakes. Could be fat, dumb, and happy Pike. We’ll see.

The other thing I really laugh at are fly fishing shows where the guy describes "small stream fishing tactics" while he's standing next to a 100 yard wide raging river. Really? They consider that a small stream? I wonder what they would think of some of the sidewalk sized creeks I fish? Never see that on any of these shows.

I'm also getting a bit bored watching guys helicoptering into a $1000/night luxury lodge on some remote section in Canada on private water that can only be fished if you're a paying customer. Fantasy trips to places like Patagonia or New Zealand also make for nice videos, but they're just not realistic for the 99 percent of us.

I'll die knowing I'll never have time to fish all the streams in the Driftless that I would like. So many miles of water available to us here. No fancy boats or expensive guides needed. Just a little free time, a bit of driving, and some ambition to get off the couch and go.

OK, rant over.

-Bill

Add to it a fly fishing video with rock music. Do people think such a relaxing activity needs that kind of noise?
madguy30  
#452 Posted : Friday, November 9, 2018 12:36:46 AM(UTC)
madguy30

Was thanked: 12 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Gurth Go to Quoted Post
Kind of glad they don’t do shows on little creeks like ours. Would hate to have the general public discover what we know.

The average lake fisherman would likely not believe that a 20 inch fish could come out of such tiny water.

That said, I do get a laugh when I see a show where they are on a “small” stream and it’s bigger three times over than some of the biggest places I go down here.

Lake fisherman also sometimes don't understand how much easier it is to fish small rivers and how big the fish can get.

Fine by me.
thanks 1 user thanked madguy30 for this useful post.
Guillermo on 11/9/2018(UTC)
Guillermo  
#453 Posted : Friday, November 9, 2018 1:48:51 AM(UTC)
Guillermo

Was thanked: 25 time(s) in 23 post(s)
With all the cold water and beautiful fish we have to choose from, I sometimes feel like I'm holding onto a dirty little secret that 99% of folks have no idea about. Almost nobody I run into has any idea we have the kind of brightly colored brook trout or brown trout that we do indeed have. Their idea of trout is just what comes out of Lake Michigan. Many also have the misconception that inland trout are all tiny.

I guess there's a fine line between informing more people of the kind of aquatic resources we have, and preventing overexposure and loving it to death.
shebs  
#454 Posted : Friday, November 9, 2018 1:52:47 AM(UTC)
shebs

Was thanked: 26 time(s) in 22 post(s)
Yeah I'm totally fine with no one knowing about the gold mine we're sitting on. With the exception of harvest opener, I can go just about anywhere I want with no fear of being the second guy there.
A bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work. ~Author Unknown
Modern Translation, with respect for the Notorious B.I.G. : "Fuck Money, Get Fishes"
shebs  
#455 Posted : Tuesday, November 13, 2018 1:25:41 AM(UTC)
shebs

Was thanked: 26 time(s) in 22 post(s)
Got up north for one last weekend, and fought the cold and snow, with little success. Was beautiful, though. Been a tough year, but there are still fresh cohos in the streams even as the end of the season approaches. What a bizarre year.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage
A bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work. ~Author Unknown
Modern Translation, with respect for the Notorious B.I.G. : "Fuck Money, Get Fishes"
OTC_MN  
#456 Posted : Tuesday, November 13, 2018 5:06:59 PM(UTC)
OTC_MN

Was thanked: 30 time(s) in 22 post(s)
Originally Posted by: NBrevitz Go to Quoted Post

No kidding. I like the Lindners because they fish for everything and use new baits and techniques. At least I actually learn something watching their show. Bill Dance is funny, but I can only appreciate so many 5 lb Largemouth from private ponds in Tennessee. That’d be like heading to the DA Bridge ponds and being like, “Wow! Another 24 inch Brown!”

And don’t get me started on Mike I, losing his shit when he loses one 4 lb Smallmouth, only to catch another within 15 minutes.

I’d be game for portaging into some cool shit. I’ve got a crazy idea for next summer, 14 miles up a river in Ontario. Brookies could be huge. Could be full of Lakers in the attached Lakes. Could be fat, dumb, and happy Pike. We’ll see.

Lindners are good people - known them for a long time. (My first 'real' paycheck when I was a 15 year old kid was signed by Al...) Part of why I enjoy their show. They really, truly, just love catching stuff. They get just as excited when there isn't a camera in sight. Plus, the production quality on their show is just second to none.

Ike is actually a pretty good guy in person. He's just wound kind of tight. Ultra-competitive personality. I do think the stuff he's done to try to promote fishing in urban areas, etc., is actually pretty cool though. He's trying to make the point that you don't need a $90k ranger to enjoy fishing, so he's really bucking the trend there compared to a lot of his fellow bass tourney guys. "I couldn't have done it without my 21-foot bass boat, $18k motor and $8k electronics..." Uhh - yeah you could...

Careful what you wish for with the TV show. If you want to ruin a perfectly good fishing trip - bring a TV camera. Smile

"Our tradition is that of the first man who sneaked away to the creek when the tribe did not really need fish."
- Roderick Haig-Brown
NBrevitz  
#457 Posted : Wednesday, November 14, 2018 8:41:19 PM(UTC)
NBrevitz

Man

Was thanked: 35 time(s) in 30 post(s)
^I agree on the city limits stuff, 100%. It’s nice to show people that catching fish isn’t impossible in urban areas. He did a cool episode on Milwaukee I really enjoyed. I just don’t get him losing his mind on coming up short on one nice, but unremarkable fish.

Then again, I’ve never understood the fascination with Bass. I like them, but there are 4-5 genus groups that give me far more joy. I’ll take Panfish over Bass frankly.

The Lindners did a Nipigon episode I’ve rewatched 4-5 times. Love it. They always try new stuff, they’re not just focused on Bass and Walleye either.

A lot of the shows these days are just repetitive. Bass on plastics, Walleye on Lindy rigs, Musky on bucktails. Rinse and repeat...

I wish there were more shows with spin anglers as dedicated to pursuing Trophy native Trout in remote reaches, as fly anglers doing the same thing. I feel like a square peg in a round hole. I lot of the destinations I’d love to fish are fly only... I know how to fly fish, but the suggestion that I can’t spin fish at all means they’ll never get my $. Not over my dead body.
"I fish because I love to: Because only in the woods can I find solitude without loneliness."
Gurth  
#458 Posted : Wednesday, November 14, 2018 8:56:57 PM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

Was thanked: 74 time(s) in 60 post(s)
I hear ya nick but I just watch the trout on the fly shows and know that I’d kill it just the same or better wherever they are.
Private correspondence at: jkschind "at" tds.net
NBrevitz  
#459 Posted : Wednesday, November 14, 2018 9:57:41 PM(UTC)
NBrevitz

Man

Was thanked: 35 time(s) in 30 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Gurth Go to Quoted Post
I hear ya nick but I just watch the trout on the fly shows and know that I’d kill it just the same or better wherever they are.

100%! Unfortunately they wouldn’t let me!😂
"I fish because I love to: Because only in the woods can I find solitude without loneliness."
Confluence  
#460 Posted : Thursday, November 15, 2018 1:24:57 AM(UTC)
Confluence

Where are all of these destinatons that are fly only?
The only fly-fish only water that I have ever heard of are located in mainland Michigan, are there many more locales?