Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

21 Pages«<192021
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
William Schlafer  
#201 Posted : Tuesday, July 17, 2018 11:12:55 PM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 106 time(s) in 90 post(s)
Here's a pattern on found on the net called the Blue Gill Belly Bean. It's somewhat similar to Ryan Frick's terrific "Frick's Fix" jig head fly.

UserPostedImage

It's a Smallmouth pattern, but I definitely can see it working for Trout too. It's supposed to imitate a Bluegill minnow with it's gold belly and green gill plate. The dumbbell head is tied so the hook rides up, so you can jig and bounce it off the bottom and through the rocks.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

I couldn't find the exact hook the pattern called for. The one I used is an extra heavy wire Umpqua version, but at least it has the 60 degree bend. I tied mine in a size 6, but I may tie a few more in a size smaller and experiment with orange dubbing. Can't wait to try it out.

Here's the Tim Flagler narrated video from TightLineVideo:

-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
Fishes-with-fly  
#202 Posted : Sunday, November 18, 2018 12:15:09 AM(UTC)
Fishes-with-fly

Its not about being a Pro, in fact there are a great number of us around. It’s about as they say “practice, practice, practice”. Once your skills and technique improve, so will your quality of your flies. Correct proportion, excellent technique, and consistency from fly to fly are the 3 most important aspect to fly tying.
William Schlafer  
#203 Posted : Monday, December 31, 2018 10:36:57 PM(UTC)
William Schlafer

While on holiday break from work I spent some quality time on the fly tying bench preparing some new patterns for the coming season.

UserPostedImage

This pattern really has me excited. The Wood Duck Heron uses only two materials: Wood Duck flank feathers and hen soft hackle in a nice contrasting color. I didn't have the best Wood Duck feather or hen hackle available, so I experimented using what I had. Looking forward to tying some more of these in different colors. These used a size 12 3XL hook.
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

These are Soft Hackle Streamers tied on a size 8 streamer hook. Once again, my soft hackle isn't the best, but they still turned out OK. I tied a few of these last year and they really look enticing in the water. The soft feathers pulse and wiggle just like a swimming leech or a struggling minnow. I really like the red thread used to form the head.
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

Another Tim Flagler special The Holy Grail Caddis Emerger just looks like it will catch fish. Tied on a size 14 scud hook, it's a bit of a pain to tie, requiring more dexterity than my fat fingers have. But the results are worth it. Again, I really like the red thread finish on the head. Really makes the fly pop. A good quality hackle clip really helps. Precise thread control and placement of the materials is a must to get the hackle on correctly. Fluorescing UV head cement for the wing case really gives this pattern an impressive finish. The way it shines and reflects light can't help but attract Trout.
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

The Gallagher Special is another nifty simple midge pattern using peacock hurl and small hackle feathers. Tiny is probably better, but I tied mine in size 14. It's sort of a fancy Griffiths Gnat that might just stand out in the bug soup during a midge hatch to entice a finicky rising Trout.
UserPostedImage

Although I've never really had a lot of success with them, I like the look of this Stonefly pattern called The Midnight Intruder. The Pattern called for a size 8, but I tied mine with a #12 scud hook. Once again Fluorescing UV head cement to form the wing case really makes this pattern.
UserPostedImage

The weather forecast looks pretty good for opening day (in Wisconsin) next Saturday. Can't wait to get back out on my favorite streams.

-Bill

Edited by user Tuesday, January 1, 2019 1:46:22 AM(UTC)  | Reason: corrected fly name: Holy Grail

“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
William Schlafer  
#204 Posted : Sunday, January 20, 2019 5:34:52 PM(UTC)
William Schlafer

A few years ago I caught a fine Brown Trout who coughed up several (still alive) Crayfish while I was extracting the the hook.

UserPostedImage

Most of the Crawfish patterns I found online were either too large, or didn't look like something I could tie with the materials I have. Then I ran across the Nancy P Crawfish - yet another articulated pattern by Kelly Galloup. So I tied up a bunch with various head sizes.

UserPostedImage

There's a pretty steep leaning curve when it comes to stacking and spinning deer hair. I've struggled with it in the past on other patterns and the first couple I tried to tie went straight to the recycling bowl. But I finally made a few that were acceptable. Ironically one of the better ones of the bunch was ruined at the last moment when somehow I managed to snap off the front hook point while removing it from the vise. Nuts!
UserPostedImage

One of the keys to this Crayfish pattern are the curved legs or claws in the back that pulse and undulate in the water in ways that Trout supposedly find irresistible. This seems backwards as the claws on Crayfish are in front next to the head. But this is the way is supposed to be tied, so I'll follow the formula.

UserPostedImage

I downsized mine to about 3 inches in length from the original 6, which just felt much too large for the streams I prefer to fish. Instead of 1/0 and #2 hooks, I moved down to #6 in the back and #4 in the front. The smaller size made it difficult to hold materials out of the way while trimming the deer hair and working on the front half. It's very easy to lob off rubber legs or other materials accidentally when working with a razor blade or scissors.

I found these mini hair clamps in the fly tying (women's hair accessories) isle of my local Walgreens, which came in very handy in holding materials out of the way. Only a couple bucks for six clamps.

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

Can't wait to give this pattern a go this spring.

UserPostedImage

-Bill

Edited by user Monday, January 21, 2019 1:38:14 AM(UTC)  | Reason: added photos and text