Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
aikman  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, January 8, 2019 3:30:28 PM(UTC)
aikman

United States

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Anyone ever fish SW Minn trout streams?
Sponsor
shebs  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, January 8, 2019 3:53:06 PM(UTC)
shebs

Was thanked: 53 time(s) in 43 post(s)
As far as I know, most of those streams are 'put and take,' i.e. stocking dependent, so I wouldn't go into it with great expectations...
Also, only the seven counties of SE MN are open early season, so you can't fish those until regular April opener.
A bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work. ~Author Unknown
Modern Translation, with respect for the Notorious B.I.G. : "Fuck Money, Get Fishes"
thanks 1 user thanked shebs for this useful post.
aikman on 1/8/2019(UTC)
aikman  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, January 8, 2019 4:32:20 PM(UTC)
aikman

United States

Thanks, I was hoping for a closer stream to fish. By the way if any of you guys get down around Branson MO. be sure to fish Taneycomo. That might be the most fun I've had fishing. We were crushing rainbows on scuds and zebra midges. My boys made the 20" club. I came up an inch short.
shebs  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, January 9, 2019 2:40:51 AM(UTC)
shebs

Was thanked: 53 time(s) in 43 post(s)
Is that a tailwater fishery, or are the trout in the lake itself? I have relatives (in-law) in Fayetteville who love to fish the White River/Bull Shoals and it sounds like a hoot, but I just can't get that excited about stockers haha

FYI as far as SW MN streams...here is the list of stocked waters in MN - it looks to me like the few trout streams down that way get 300 each brown/rainbows per year, so I'd guess it's mostly an opening day worm dunking party with minimal to no overwinter survival.

MNDNR Stocking Report 2017
A bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work. ~Author Unknown
Modern Translation, with respect for the Notorious B.I.G. : "Fuck Money, Get Fishes"
Gurth  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, January 9, 2019 3:18:22 AM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

Was thanked: 133 time(s) in 105 post(s)
I'd like to fish tail waters down there for sure.

Those bows weren't put in there at 20 inches and most likely were fry or small fingerlings when placed. Apologies in advance if I'm wrong on that.

Anyway, that's much different than a 10 inch pellet eating brown or bow put in one of our class 3 streams for the wormers that won't over winter.

Chances are 100% that we all catch some form of stockers quite often.

Unless you only fish genetically pure waters of course...
“Harvest eaters... release trophies.” -Gurth
Private correspondence at: jkschind "at" tds.net
JGF  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, January 9, 2019 4:06:47 AM(UTC)
JGF

Man
United States

Was thanked: 20 time(s) in 17 post(s)
Originally Posted by: shebs Go to Quoted Post
Is that a tailwater fishery, or are the trout in the lake itself? I have relatives (in-law) in Fayetteville who love to fish the White River/Bull Shoals and it sounds like a hoot, but I just can't get that excited about stockers haha

I've fished Taneycomo and the White River system a number of years ago. Taney is a relatively short tailwater below Table Rock Lake. It becomes lake-like after a couple of miles, at most but it's an interesting fishery. I much preferred the Arkansas tailwaters - Norfork, Red River, and Bull Shoals on the White.

There are some monster fish but I think you really have to go out of your way to get into them - right time of the year, likely at night, at the right flows, etc.

It's worth the trip.

billybigbilly  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, January 9, 2019 6:21:23 AM(UTC)
billybigbilly

Man

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 11 post(s)
I've only fished 2 of the SW streams, one I found out after I fished it they stopped stocking it, and the other where I have had some luck. Some natural reproduction occurs in that stream and I have checked it during the winter a few times and trout do still make it but it is pretty marginal water. But the trout are nice size and if the water is cool enough they are willing to bite, and I have only ever seen 1 person fish it. The trout ponds stocked in St. Peter get a lot of pressure and it may not be your cup of tea but rumor has it that one large rainbow has survived many winters and is straightening hooks to this very day. If you want you can PM me and i can help with where to find some.
thanks 1 user thanked billybigbilly for this useful post.
aikman on 1/11/2019(UTC)
aikman  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, January 9, 2019 2:24:00 PM(UTC)
aikman

United States

Thanks, I'll message you. My middle boy and I made it over to Decorah to fish a couple days right after our football season. BWO's were the ticket just south of town there by the hatchery. I couldn't believe there wasn't a fly shop or anything near by. I wish I had the time and $ to open one. I also wish Iowa would have C@R only in winter like Minn. I wonder if there's data yet that could persuade IDNR.