Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages<12
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
WI-fly  
#11 Posted : Thursday, January 10, 2019 5:55:10 PM(UTC)
WI-fly

Man

Was thanked: 27 time(s) in 20 post(s)
I just spent a few hours on Mormon Creek this past weekend, and sad to say that there are no fish left anywhere in the stream. No sense for anyone to come wet a line, because all the fish are gone. No need to check out Mormon Creek, such a sad situation. All the fish are gone. Stay home or go to Vernon County. [sarcasm font]

Nice write up and photos Bill. I appreciate all you share. [non-sarcasm font]
=============
Curt Rees
Coulee Region Trout Unlimited
Catch fish, have a good time, protect the resource.
CRTU Facebook
CRTU Instagram
Gurth  
#12 Posted : Thursday, January 10, 2019 6:49:29 PM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

Was thanked: 115 time(s) in 91 post(s)
Yeah... thanks Bill.

I don't worry too much about animals or fish or even the streams in these situations, at least not long term.

Trout have evolved to survive floods, even of epic proportions.

The stream will fix itself in short order as it has over the eons.

Bill - remember the beaver dam on the sidewalk stream? Not six months after it's removal, I couldn't find any trace of it and I knew where it had been and was actively looking for it as a waypoint on my trek that day.

It made a significant footprint in its area and was completely gone.

Hopefully everyone who was affected is coming along.

Having had water damage in my house, I know how that can linger with you. I still watch the radar and hope that the heavy rains will go north or south and check that the sump is keeping up when we're getting pounded.

Can only imagine what it's like for folks who live in a valley and have been through a flood like that.

“Harvest eaters... release trophies.” -Gurth
Private correspondence at: jkschind "at" tds.net
William Schlafer  
#13 Posted : Thursday, January 10, 2019 8:02:36 PM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 136 time(s) in 111 post(s)
Originally Posted by: WI-fly Go to Quoted Post
I just spent a few hours on Mormon Creek this past weekend, and sad to say that there are no fish left anywhere in the stream. No sense for anyone to come wet a line, because all the fish are gone. No need to check out Mormon Creek, such a sad situation. All the fish are gone. Stay home or go to Vernon County. [sarcasm font]

Yes, I agree. There actually are no Trout left in Mormon Creek. What I saw must've been chubs and suckers. Wink

When I drove though the area in late August my camera battery decided to act up, so I didn't get all the photos I could have. I drove the entire length of Cty Hwy P, from the Kickapoo River to Coon Valley. It was surprising how bad the damage looked in some places, yet places nearby looked nearly untouched. The rain amounts and the damaging flooding was very localized. A number of secondary roads and bridges were out, so I didn't venture into those places.

I have to say also that the stream bank armoring and other work done by TU, WDNR and local groups really did make a difference. This was most evident along Weister Creek, which has been hammered historically by multiple floods. Where work was done, the water flowed over and around the terrain bordering the creek with reduced erosion or damage.

What was heartbreaking was the damage to many of the picturesque farms along the Timber Coulee that I've fished many times over the years. I wanted to stop and talk to those folks, but many were gone, along with their livestock and buildings. Really sad to see the damage to the Skogdalen Lutheran Church and cemetery along Rullands Coulee.

Tough farmers live there, descendants of immigrants used to hardship. Hope they all recover from this flood.

-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
William Schlafer  
#14 Posted : Thursday, January 10, 2019 8:16:53 PM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 136 time(s) in 111 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Gurth Go to Quoted Post

Bill - remember the beaver dam on the sidewalk stream? Not six months after it's removal, I couldn't find any trace of it and I knew where it had been and was actively looking for it as a waypoint on my trek that day.

I've noticed that local TU groups have stepped up their efforts to trap and remove Beavers. It wouldn't surprise me if the Beavers on that stream were trapped. One of my other favorite streams had multiple Beaver dams appear a couple years ago along it's headwaters. This was disappointing as the dams were sure to mess up the spawn migration.

The flood last fall wiped out those dams, along with much of the their food source: Willow and Birch saplings growing along the banks. I know that Aldo Leopold TU have been aggressively going after Beavers on the Sauk county streams they've invested heavily in.

A few Beaver dams are OK, but they can get out of hand quickly if there's plenty of food and few predators to keep them in check. I've also seen them ruin entire stands of trees by eating the bark around the bases of hardwood trees, effectively killing them.

-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
Gurth  
#15 Posted : Thursday, January 10, 2019 8:34:41 PM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

Was thanked: 115 time(s) in 91 post(s)
Those beaver were trapped. Ran into the trapper last year on that road along the ridge and he had his cages in the back of his truck (empty as this was after removal).

Chatted with him a bit. Believe he was with the DNR or county or something.

Asked me if I’d seen any.
“Harvest eaters... release trophies.” -Gurth
Private correspondence at: jkschind "at" tds.net
madguy30  
#16 Posted : Friday, January 11, 2019 2:10:34 AM(UTC)
madguy30

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 12 post(s)
Originally Posted by: WI-fly Go to Quoted Post
I just spent a few hours on Mormon Creek this past weekend, and sad to say that there are no fish left anywhere in the stream. No sense for anyone to come wet a line, because all the fish are gone. No need to check out Mormon Creek, such a sad situation. All the fish are gone. Stay home or go to Green County. [sarcasm font]

Nice write up and photos Bill. I appreciate all you share. [non-sarcasm font]

Fixed the bold for you. :)

It's insane how fish can withstand the kind of situations like last summer and be fine when it's all done.