Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
skiumah  
#1 Posted : Monday, January 21, 2019 3:15:18 AM(UTC)
skiumah

I'm new to tying and so far have only tied pink squirrels. Anyone have any recommendations for some easy to tie flies that will catch fish?
Sponsor
Pete  
#2 Posted : Monday, January 21, 2019 3:48:50 AM(UTC)
Pete

Was thanked: 21 time(s) in 18 post(s)
I’d suggest the San Juan worm and the Teeny nymph. They don’t get any easier than those two and they’ll catch fish too. You’ll be learning thread control and managing materials, as well as knots. You can easily move on to more complex patterns from there.
William Schlafer  
#3 Posted : Monday, January 21, 2019 4:11:22 AM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 190 time(s) in 148 post(s)
Woolly Buggers. Simple to tie and effective in most conditions. Search YouTube for fly tying videos. You can learn a lot from just watching those.

-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
weiliwen  
#4 Posted : Monday, January 21, 2019 1:46:20 PM(UTC)
weiliwen

Man
United States
Location: Madison, Wisconsin during the week and Lincolnshire, Illinois on weekends.

Was thanked: 45 time(s) in 39 post(s)
Pheasant tails and gold ribbed hare's ears are also easy to tie, and very effective. I tie a hare's ear flymph that's not much more than a regular hare's ear with a soft hackle collar that works great fished in the surface film.
Bob Williams, "Weiliwen"
fifly333  
#5 Posted : Monday, January 21, 2019 2:08:12 PM(UTC)
fifly333

Man

Tying the hippy Stomper is pretty easy. There is a few variations of it that is easy. Good luck on your tying.
WI-fly  
#6 Posted : Monday, January 21, 2019 2:24:55 PM(UTC)
WI-fly

Man

Was thanked: 31 time(s) in 23 post(s)
I agree with Bill on the woolly bugger. It is typically a bigger fly, and you don't have to be too precise as you put it together. Plus, there are so many variations of it that you can get fancy as you get better. Yesterday I tied a couple WBs that included rubber legs, a cone head, and hackle.

For smaller flies, a zebra midge isn't too complicated. Just thread, wire rib, and a bead.
=============
Curt Rees
Coulee Region Trout Unlimited
Catch fish, have a good time, protect the resource.
CRTU Facebook
CRTU Instagram
3fe  
#7 Posted : Monday, January 21, 2019 3:53:37 PM(UTC)
3fe

Even simpler than the Woolly Bugger, is the Woolly Worm. The tail proportion is not an issue. You clip the tail to length.
If you have a rotary vise, it's great practice on the chenille and hackle winding.
The first trout I caught on a fly I tied, was on a Woolly Worm, some 30 years ago.
JGF  
#8 Posted : Monday, January 21, 2019 8:51:49 PM(UTC)
JGF

Man
United States

Was thanked: 20 time(s) in 17 post(s)
To echo others, woolly buggers are great. They catch fish and for learning to tie flies, they're large, you learn a lot of good techniques, and there are about a billion variations on them. I'm not much for patterns - I look at it like cooking - add a bit of what you like and what goes together.

My biggest piece of advice when learning to tie is to learn techniques that you'll apply to other flies and think about proportion as you're tying. WB's are great as you can mess around with different body techniques and weighting of the flies. You can also play around with proportions a bit and see how they look and work differently in the water.

One of the most intimidating part of fly tying is working down to smaller flies. Tie a Griffith's Gnat or an Elk Hair Caddis - basically WB's without tails and with a wing for an EHC - in 12's or so for a bit and work down to more typical fishable sizes.

A few other things I'd learn to tie: simple scuds - no need for all the bells and whistles but a good shaggy body with some weight will catch fish (and teach you to loop dub), Hares-ear and PT type nymphs, Zebra midges (size is challenging but they're simple), and after a bit, a few other dry flies like stimulators (If you can tie an EHC, you can tie a stimmie), start with wingless mayflies, work toward adding wings, etc.
skiumah  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, January 22, 2019 1:16:08 AM(UTC)
skiumah

Appreciate the advice everyone! Going to give some of these a shot.
William Schlafer  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, January 22, 2019 3:09:24 AM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 190 time(s) in 148 post(s)
Originally Posted by: fifly333 Go to Quoted Post
Tying the hippy Stomper is pretty easy. There is a few variations of it that is easy. Good luck on your tying.

Speaking of Hippie Stompers, the inventor of that fly, Andrew Grillos, will be appearing at the The Driftless Angler Fly Shop in Viroqua on June 1st 5-9PM. A chance to get tips and rub elbows with a true rockstar fly tier.

-Bill

“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos