Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Life of Riley  
#1 Posted : Friday, January 25, 2019 9:00:23 AM(UTC)
Life of Riley

Korea, D.P.R.O.

Was thanked: 9 time(s) in 6 post(s)
I figured I'd better post this before everyone quits this forum just like Guillermo did. Any recommendations on a good pair of hippers???
Sponsor
weiliwen  
#2 Posted : Friday, January 25, 2019 2:34:38 PM(UTC)
weiliwen

Man
United States
Location: Madison, Wisconsin during the week and Lincolnshire, Illinois on weekends.

Was thanked: 45 time(s) in 39 post(s)
I bought a pair for $29 or something like that from Cabela's. They work fine for my needs, but if I were to do it again, I'd make sure that they had a boot foot with a steel shank. They're also rubber, so a bit tough to put on when they're really cold; the rubber is hard to manipulate. Obviously, a pair of Gore-Tex would be better, but they'll run 4X the price I paid.
Bob Williams, "Weiliwen"
William Schlafer  
#3 Posted : Friday, January 25, 2019 2:53:21 PM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 188 time(s) in 146 post(s)
Cableas Stockingfoot Waders are on sale right now for $49, normally $65. Pair em up with some good wading boots and your all set. Perfect for small stream Driftless Area creeks.

I've owned a number of these over the years. They're well built and last at least a couple seasons of heavy use.

If you're in the market for new boots, Simms also has a new low cost option available: The Tributary Boot is only $99. Simms quality at a discounted price. I'm having trouble finding it in the stores, but the link above will take you to the Driftless Anger Fly shop, who carry it.

-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
Gurth  
#4 Posted : Friday, January 25, 2019 3:29:01 PM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

Was thanked: 161 time(s) in 127 post(s)
I find hip waders to be almost useless. I've got buddies who swear that they're all you need in the Driftless. They're wrong.

I have a pair and do use them occasionally in skinny water or in places that I can't wade due to the bottom consistency but need to be able to portage or walk through streamside puddles.

But almost everywhere that I wade has spots that are nut deep and aren't easy to go around due to the banks or have spots that should be approached from the water.

And even the skinniest of water usually has runs or pools that are 3 feet deep.

To stay on topic, mine are cheapie Frog Toggs and work great for what I need them to do.
“Harvest eaters... release trophies.” -Gurth
Private correspondence at: jkschind "at" tds.net
Gurth  
#5 Posted : Friday, January 25, 2019 3:46:53 PM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

Was thanked: 161 time(s) in 127 post(s)
There are a few places that I never get in the water (too deep and silty) and for those, I wear the insulated boots that I salvaged from a pair of one-piece waders that became leaky.

They're waterproof calf boots now and are great at this time of year and into maybe April. They're too hot after that.

Oh yeah and still have an old pair of hip waders from maybe 5 years ago that have several holes in them. I wear these sometimes on really hot days as they allow water in and out and keep my feet from roasting.

Haven't gotten to wet wading yet – want some protection from ticks and bumping into stuff.
“Harvest eaters... release trophies.” -Gurth
Private correspondence at: jkschind "at" tds.net
tim_y  
#6 Posted : Friday, January 25, 2019 3:51:11 PM(UTC)
tim_y

My last few pairs have come from Sierra Trading Post. Normally overstocks or last season's items, and depending on what size you need, they can be hit or miss. I usually go the chest waders route and just tuck in the bibs like pants. I used to use the hips, but even in the shallowest of streams, I always find a way to take a spill.
weiliwen  
#7 Posted : Friday, January 25, 2019 6:01:53 PM(UTC)
weiliwen

Man
United States
Location: Madison, Wisconsin during the week and Lincolnshire, Illinois on weekends.

Was thanked: 45 time(s) in 39 post(s)
I've found that wading pants do me just fine most of the time. I tend to parboil in full chest waders. I'm working with Mat at the Driftless Angler to order some new Patagonia wading pants with built in boot foot. He said they'll do that for a few bucks extra.
Bob Williams, "Weiliwen"
OTC_MN  
#8 Posted : Saturday, January 26, 2019 3:19:24 PM(UTC)
OTC_MN

Was thanked: 36 time(s) in 28 post(s)
I definitely prefer waist high wading pants. Seems like with hippers no matter where you go, at some point you end up needing to cross water that's the height of the top of your hip boots - plus 1/2 inch. Wading pants aren't any heavier and are to me at least less cumbersome and floppy. Plus I can wear my regular wading boots.

I've had a relatively cheap pair of breathable wading pants from Cabelas for a while and they've been good. They go on sale sometime pretty much every spring, so you can get them for under $100. I still wear my chest waders most of the time, but almost always have my waist high pants with me. If I'm on a shallower stretch or am cooking in my chest waders I wear 'em.
"Our tradition is that of the first man who sneaked away to the creek when the tribe did not really need fish."
- Roderick Haig-Brown
rschmidt  
#9 Posted : Saturday, January 26, 2019 3:53:44 PM(UTC)
rschmidt

Was thanked: 61 time(s) in 50 post(s)
I do not use hip waders. I wade bridge to bridge and even in small streams, I regularly find spots that challenge chest waders. The heat doesn't bother me. The hip waders also have straps and parts that are more likely to fail and make you wet and unhappy over time. Happy Fishing!