Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Pete  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, February 27, 2019 6:54:14 PM(UTC)
Pete

Was thanked: 18 time(s) in 15 post(s)
Not much to report, but as the site has been pretty slow lately, I don't mind taking up some bandwidth.

I went to the outflow of a water treatment plant on the Fox River on Saturday (wet, but not as windy as Sunday). It usually produces some small smallmouths and some even smaller walleyes. Not this time-some construction has been done and it changed the dynamics. I can't wade across it now, or at least couldn't in the high water on Saturday after the rain and snowmelt. I lost a white Deceiver to a snag early on. I put on another white streamer, this time one tied on a jig hook with a large strike indicator above it. At one point, something didn't look right. The indicator didn't go under, it didn't dart upstream or anything like that, but it wasn't flowing dead-drift in the current. I set the hook and felt a heavy fish. That's where the good news ends: the heavy fish turned out to be a carp and the only fish I caught. It's not the first time I've had carp hit a streamer. If I'd been targeting them, I'd probably slow roll a nymph right along the bottom. But they must eat their share of minnow when the opportunity presents itself because I've had them chase streamers pretty aggressively, at least on occasion.

The day wasn't a total bust: I shared the water with an eagle who was perched on a nearby island. But I'll be glad when the snow is gone and the water has warmed to the point where I can go after smallmouths in the feeder streams.
Sponsor
Gurth  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, February 27, 2019 8:24:06 PM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

Was thanked: 107 time(s) in 86 post(s)
I hear ya Pete. This weather is getting old. It’s one thing to have the warm water fishing screwed but the trout fishing is messed up lately too with snow or wind or ice every third day.

I can only organize the tackle box for Ontario so many times ffs.

Hope to jump on a stream after work on Friday before the next arctic blast this weekend.
“Harvest eaters... release trophies.” -Gurth
Private correspondence at: jkschind "at" tds.net
Hoggies  
#3 Posted : Thursday, February 28, 2019 4:20:52 PM(UTC)
Hoggies

Man
United States

Was thanked: 9 time(s) in 9 post(s)
I've been thinking about trying to catch some carp in downtown Rochester. There are paths all along the river and after this winter there should be a bunch of sandy shallow spots built up. Call it low-rent flats fishing. If nothing else it would be good practice casting to fish... They don't seem to spook easily.