Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

69 Pages«<676869
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
aikman  
#681 Posted : Monday, March 11, 2019 8:13:44 PM(UTC)
aikman

United States

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I fished the Root River on Friday. Water was good. Slow but there was a midge hatch. Anyone use a foam parachute emerger as their indicator over a zebra midge? I wish I would have tried it instead of my thingamabobber. I felt I could have got a few risers and not spooked the shallow fish. Also thinking about trading up from my St. Croix Avid 4wt. to a Sage or Scott 4wt. Thoughts on either subject?
Gurth  
#682 Posted : Tuesday, March 12, 2019 2:50:00 AM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

Was thanked: 88 time(s) in 73 post(s)
Got out today after work. Wanted to get out again before the melt and rain starts this week.

Water was a bit turbid but only slightly high. Landed 5 and had maybe a dozen short strikes. Nothing big although I did get a 10 inch brown on a size 8 X-Rap. Laugh

Best part was being able to fish till 7:15.
“Harvest eaters... release trophies.” -Gurth
Private correspondence at: jkschind "at" tds.net
Smis  
#683 Posted : Tuesday, March 12, 2019 8:36:33 PM(UTC)
Smis

United States

I was lucky enough to make it out yesterday before the brunt of the snowmelt starts and hit a new stretch of water on a popular stream south of the Wisconsin River. I started a little after 9am and fished to about 4:30pm. There's still about 8-12" of snow on the ground which didn't bother me much (better than 8 foot tall weeds and 90 degree heat IMO) and the stream was flowing clear and full to its banks. The sun was out for most of the day and the temps stayed below freezing except for a couple hours where it might have gotten as high as mid thirties. Not enough to cause a rapid snowmelt, at least the fish didn't seem to mind anyway. The day started off a little slow for me as it warmed up, but I was able to pull a decent number of fish when I was able to find slower tail out runs (e.i. bubble lines) with a little bit of depth. There was a lot of high gradient water immediately upstream of where I started and I struggled in these sections. Normally I would use heavy nymphs and split shot to short line these sections but with the clear and sunny conditions I couldn't approach these unfamiliar sections without spooking fish. Even so I had still probably caught a half dozen fish at this point.

Then around 1pm I started seeing fish rise like crazy to what I presumed to be midge hatches. Admittedly, I'm not much of a dry fly fisherman, especially when I would be using size 20 flies that I can't even see on the water. Regardless, the fish were in a feeding frenzy and were attacking flies recklessly. This was really cool to see as I went all of last season without seeing any real discernible hatches or consistently rising fish. The fish were all stacked up and the next three holes I fished I caught fish after fish to the point where it wasn't even rewarding anymore (ok it was still fun, but felt a little cheap). Most of the fish were smaller but I did get a half dozen or so browns in the 14-15" range. Used a hopper/dropper setup and anything small, with a thin profile seemed to work (e.g. copper johns, BH zebra midges, stalcup's midges, etc...)

Fished my way back downstream using a big streamer (I had gotten greedy and was trophy hunting) and got one decent brown right away, but then nothing from there. Great day on the water for me.

IMG_2068.jpg (334kb) downloaded 13 time(s). IMG_2067.PNG (3,079kb) downloaded 14 time(s).

Edited by user Tuesday, March 12, 2019 8:42:40 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Gurth  
#684 Posted : Tuesday, March 12, 2019 9:16:14 PM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

Was thanked: 88 time(s) in 73 post(s)
A buddy who fishes maybe 4 or 5 times a year and always on the same Grant County stream that he has a place on called me today and said he's going fishing on Saturday and that I should join him.

Ummmm... no, you're not. Laugh

I mean... we'll see but I fished that stream the past two weekends and there's a lot of snow lying around and that place silts up pretty easy.

I'm hoping that I can get on hard water one more time and get some more gills for the freezer. Haven't been on the ice since NYE.

Edited by user Tuesday, March 12, 2019 9:16:49 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

“Harvest eaters... release trophies.” -Gurth
Private correspondence at: jkschind "at" tds.net
Smis  
#685 Posted : Tuesday, March 12, 2019 9:59:39 PM(UTC)
Smis

United States

Originally Posted by: Gurth Go to Quoted Post
A buddy who fishes maybe 4 or 5 times a year and always on the same Grant County stream that he has a place on called me today and said he's going fishing on Saturday and that I should join him.

Ummmm... no, you're not. Laugh

I mean... we'll see but I fished that stream the past two weekends and there's a lot of snow lying around and that place silts up pretty easy.

I'm hoping that I can get on hard water one more time and get some more gills for the freezer. Haven't been on the ice since NYE.

A nice thought by your friend, but I wouldn’t bank on it
FloorCheese  
#686 Posted : Wednesday, March 13, 2019 6:38:11 PM(UTC)
FloorCheese

Man
United States

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Made it out today in between classes. I fished a stream right out my front door actually that had a nice stain. No fish to hand this afternoon unfortunately but I am going to try again later. Laugh

UserPostedImage

Edited by user Wednesday, March 13, 2019 6:40:15 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Good Luck & Good Fishing
big_river_bum  
#687 Posted : Thursday, March 14, 2019 2:37:13 AM(UTC)
big_river_bum

Was thanked: 17 time(s) in 14 post(s)
lower coon creek was up to what I assume was the top of its banks this evening. hard to tell with the snow still on the ground

not sure what to expect with such a sudden snowmelt. we don't need anymore crazy stream flooding after last year

saw a few hundred diving ducks on the big river where coon comes out. pretty crazy because we were in deep winter just a few days ago. there's not even any open water yet. they're just swimming in water on top of ice. wish i could hunt in the spring Flapper last spring was incredible. 100,000s of birds in the area for weeks