Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
William Schlafer  
#1 Posted : Sunday, April 21, 2019 12:53:28 AM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 190 time(s) in 148 post(s)
Got out this weekend for a two day fishing trip. Visited one of my favorite Brookie streams on Friday and blundered into a big BWO hatch.
UserPostedImage

It's a very small stream, and typically hard to fish as the water is usually very clear and the fish usually spooky. To add to the difficulty factor the sun was beating down and the wind was gusting. But the Brookies were oblivious while chowing down on the emerging bugs, sweeping back and forth in the shallow water. I took five out of this spot, not near the obvious cover on the left, but right out of the shallow water just below the water fall. Even when I overcast and lined them, the Trout just swam back out into the open after a few seconds to continue feeding.
UserPostedImage

A tiny BWO (size 16) fished below the surface was the trick. I took five out of this run before deciding to move on. Not giants, but this is a small stream known more for numbers than size.
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

This guy was nearly solid green in color with a yellow belly, compared to the others which have red bellies. Interesting and beautiful.
UserPostedImage

Another bunch were stacked up under this overhanging sandstone outcropping. Lots of fun to float a cast up and let the current pull it into the shade. The water here was barely a foot deep right up against the rock. I found Trout everywhere on this creek.
UserPostedImage

Another fun and interesting run. The Brookies were tucked under the cut on the left. The water and the air was alive with emerging and flying bugs. Occasionally a Trout would jump straight up out of water while taking them in the film or as they popped off the surface. I sat down at one point in the shade and just watched for awhile. So cool.
UserPostedImage

Just for fun I tied on a Pink Squirrel and drifted it downstream to the pocket water and holding spots and then aggressively stripping it back. This is a deadly tactic that almost always triggers aggressive strikes. Caught a bunch like this in the 8-10" range. They fought well above their weight and great fun to catch in the shallow rocky water.
UserPostedImage

There's lots of evidence in the area of last years flood, with downed trees and debris in and around the stream. A couple tricky casts into this tangle got me a couple more Brookies until a snag finally claimed my fly.
UserPostedImage

I probably caught close to 40 Brookies in 2 1/2 hours. Could've got a bunch more if I stuck with it, but I was out of time and was too tired to continue.

Such a beautiful stream.
UserPostedImage

Saturday I tried another small Brook Trout stream in the next county over. Once again the sun beat down and the water was clear. I was hoping for a similar hatch as the day before, but it didn't seem to be happening here. The Trout were glued to their cover and would only reluctantly come out to play.
UserPostedImage

There were no surfacing Trout to be seen, and anything fished on the surface was ignored, so I focused on small bead heads drifted though holding water and riffles. After awhile I managed to put eight into the net using my downstream drift and strip tactic, but it was pretty slow compared to the day before.
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

I stopped at another stream but it was a fruitless effort. Spent an hour chasing spooking schools of Trout upstream before giving up. A little stain on the water or maybe some cloud cover would've helped greatly.

But I'm pretty happy with my 2 day effort. Always fun to catch Brookies!

-Bill

Edited by user Sunday, April 21, 2019 1:02:07 AM(UTC)  | Reason: damned typos!

“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
thanks 3 users thanked William Schlafer for this useful post.
mmalyuk on 4/21/2019(UTC), EddieRivard on 4/21/2019(UTC), Gurth on 4/21/2019(UTC)
Sponsor
EddieRivard  
#2 Posted : Sunday, April 21, 2019 4:07:45 AM(UTC)
EddieRivard

Was thanked: 26 time(s) in 18 post(s)
Looks like an awesome day! ThumpUp
William Schlafer  
#3 Posted : Sunday, April 21, 2019 6:41:31 PM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Thanks Eddie!

The bite on Friday is one of the strongest I've seen in awhile. The Trout were very active despite the strong sun and crystal clear water. Under those conditions, plus a strong wind yanking my fly and line around, I would've expected to catch maybe 3 or 4. But on Saturday with identical conditions (but on a different stream) it was very weak and a non-existent hatch.

Every time I think I'm starting to get this business figure out, I get thrown a curve. It keeps the chase interesting and fun.

-Bill

“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
big_river_bum  
#4 Posted : Sunday, April 21, 2019 9:34:44 PM(UTC)
big_river_bum

Was thanked: 29 time(s) in 24 post(s)
during a good hatch and faced with a difficult obstacle like that downed tree i'll often sneak around and cast from upstream with a lot of slack. let the current lake the fly/line where it needs to go. it's bizarre how different an experience it is catching then on dries from upstream. works good hopper fishing too

bill, you sure know how to find the brookies around here. great day
madguy30  
#5 Posted : Sunday, April 21, 2019 10:18:36 PM(UTC)
madguy30

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 12 post(s)
Originally Posted by: William Schlafer Go to Quoted Post
Thanks Eddie!

The bite on Friday is one of the strongest I've seen in awhile. The Trout were very active despite the strong sun and crystal clear water. Under those conditions, plus a strong wind yanking my fly and line around, I would've expected to catch maybe 3 or 4. But on Saturday with identical conditions (but on a different stream) it was very weak and a non-existent hatch.

Every time I think I'm starting to get this business figure out, I get thrown a curve. It keeps the chase interesting and fun.

-Bill

Yeah I was out Saturday and fish weren't as active as I would have figured. Just a few here and there and saw hardly any rising.

Water was also turbid in some streams and not others. Was basically a perfect April day though.
NBrevitz  
#6 Posted : Sunday, April 21, 2019 10:45:16 PM(UTC)
NBrevitz

Man

Was thanked: 69 time(s) in 56 post(s)
I love Brookies, glad you got into some! Maybe check further down and you’ll find bigger fish. That said, those fish aren’t bad!

Saturday was weird for me. I went to SE MN, which is unusual for me to begin with. My first spot is a known trophy haunt. I saw an absolute horse, but only landed fish up to 18. That said, they were suicidal, just like the fish you described. Further west on the Rush Creek complex was more of the same, until I got into a small trib, where they were spooky as all hell.

I fished 4 streams, getting blanked over 300 yards of one, 3 fish in a half mile of another, 12 fish in 90 minutes at a trophy spot chucking 15s... And then 30 fish in 3 hours at my last stop...

Trout are weird...
"I fish because I love to: Because only in the woods can I find solitude without loneliness."
billybigbilly  
#7 Posted : Monday, April 22, 2019 4:04:55 AM(UTC)
billybigbilly

Man

Was thanked: 14 time(s) in 12 post(s)
Great looking Brook trout! I can't wait now that statewide trout is open here in MN to get to some of the smaller brook trout streams I got my start on!
William Schlafer  
#8 Posted : Monday, April 22, 2019 4:59:03 PM(UTC)
William Schlafer

FYI;

I sent a buddy to the same stream. He fished it Sunday and got skunked. Makes me feel good, in a perverse kinda of way, like I really know what I'm doing. I think I just lucked into an exceptional hatch at the right place and time.

However, that stream has been good to me for many years now. Trapper first clued me into it (thanks again Trap!)

Trout are weird!

-Bill