Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
William Schlafer  
#1 Posted : Thursday, May 2, 2019 8:54:10 PM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 162 time(s) in 127 post(s)
In this month's Trout magazine (from Trout Unlimited) there's an article called "Great Waters" which highlighted what the author thought are the greatest rivers in the US - a bucket list of sorts for Trout fishermen.

Listed along with legendary waters such as the Yellowstone, Deschutes, Gunnison and Pere Marquette, was our Kickapoo River.

They describe the Kickapoo rightfully as the heart of the Driftless Area and laud it's "big wild fish, abundant hatches, generous access and a diversity of options from big water to creeks you can step across."

They claim to have chosen the Kickapoo to represent the area, simply because they liked the way it sounds. It is pretty cool.

-Bill

“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
Sponsor
Pete  
#2 Posted : Friday, May 3, 2019 1:00:02 AM(UTC)
Pete

Was thanked: 20 time(s) in 17 post(s)
Just read it. The photo with the river flowing towards the bluff makes me want to pack my gear, drive through the night and be on the water as soon as it’s light enough to see.
weiliwen  
#3 Posted : Friday, May 3, 2019 3:51:23 PM(UTC)
weiliwen

Man
United States
Location: Madison, Wisconsin during the week and Lincolnshire, Illinois on weekends.

Was thanked: 42 time(s) in 36 post(s)
"Abundant hatches," hmm. The first time I fished the Deschutes in Oregon, I bumped a streamside bush, and CLOUDS of caddis rose up off of it. I was amazed, and doubt if there less than 25,000 caddis on that bush, and every other bush along the stream. That river has the most prolific hatches I've experienced. Plus salmon flies the size of your little finger dropping into the river to the delight of hungry trout.

I've never seen that here, but maybe I just haven't been around at the right time. I do love the Kick, but last autumn after the floods it didn't treat me well at all. All my trout fishing so far this year has been closer to Madison.

Edited by user Friday, May 3, 2019 3:54:17 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Bob Williams, "Weiliwen"
William Schlafer  
#4 Posted : Saturday, May 4, 2019 8:39:15 PM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 162 time(s) in 127 post(s)
It doesn't seem to happen as much are SW Wisconsin as it did in the past, but a Hex hatch is an awesome thing to experience. Back in the early 80s and they were so thick around Winona they used plows to clear them off the bridge roadway. The clouds of bugs could be tracked on radar. Used to be some big hatches along Black Earth Creek and the Wisconsin River too.

BWOs were popping off today in good numbers along two Dane County streams I visited.

-Bill

Edited by user Saturday, May 4, 2019 8:40:28 PM(UTC)  | Reason: added text

“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
s.t.fanatic  
#5 Posted : Monday, May 6, 2019 2:02:14 PM(UTC)
s.t.fanatic

Was thanked: 16 time(s) in 16 post(s)
Originally Posted by: William Schlafer Go to Quoted Post
It doesn't seem to happen as much are SW Wisconsin as it did in the past, but a Hex hatch is an awesome thing to experience. Back in the early 80s and they were so thick around Winona they used plows to clear them off the bridge roadway. The clouds of bugs could be tracked on radar. Used to be some big hatches along Black Earth Creek and the Wisconsin River too.

BWOs were popping off today in good numbers along two Dane County streams I visited.

-Bill

The lower end of the Main Branch Whitewater River will produce a HEAVY hatch of HEX. I have fished it many times after dark and have seen it. However, trout numbers on the Main Branch have gotten so low over the past few years its hardly worth fishing anymore. I'm sure other marginal waters will as well If your there at the right time to catch it.