Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Gurth  
#1 Posted : Monday, May 6, 2019 7:03:11 PM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

Was thanked: 108 time(s) in 87 post(s)
My buddy slept in Saturday morning – the final day of our up North trout trip.

I wake up every day by 5:30 because of my daily work schedule, so I decided to check out a warm water marshy area below a dam near our cabin hoping for pike or smallies.

Got there around 6:30 and locals were already fishing the grassy/firm areas near the parking area and dam – all with bobbers. I put on my waders and went down into the cattail fields about 50 yards down current and stepped to the edge where I could get at the open water.

Cast a few times with a Rap and got a bite and it felt pretty heavy and got it in to see that it was a walleye. A quick check of the regs revealed that the limit was 5 fish 15-20 inches and this one was probably 17-18. Made a basket out of my large trout net and kept the fish.

UserPostedImage

Foul hooked a crappie too…

UserPostedImage

Proceeded to fish till 8:00 and got 6 or 7 walleye...

UserPostedImage

...and then went back to the cabin to see if my buddy wanted to fish for some. He did and after cleanup and checkout, we were back in the cattails by 10:00.

UserPostedImage

Turned out to be a huge advantage to have waders and be down where we were as most of the people up by the dam were not getting anything and we were pulling them out at a fairly steady clip – clearly, they were hanging out down where we were.

He got maybe 7 or 8 walleye (2 on a fly) and a couple of solid if not huge pike (20-24) and I got another 10-12 walleye. Only 2 of my walleye were under 15 inches and the rest were comfortably 17-22 inches.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

We threw back a lot of big fish and got some others to take home. All of the largest fish were released.

Obviously they were stacked below the dam and it was a right time, right place sorta thing. That said, being out a lot causes one to run into these things from time to time. You make your own "luck."

#8 clown X-rap was best in the morning and then a shallow Shadow Rap perch pattern when we went back. Bite was dying out by noon.

Was an absolute blast and funny that catching walleye was by far the highlight of the "trout" trip.

This was on my windshield when we got back to the van…

UserPostedImage

Lol.

Piss off. You want to worry about what eater fish people are keeping on opening day? Gonna be a long day for ya.

On TU paper too.

Great.

As if some (many?) don't already think that trout fishermen have a collective stick up their arse.

My buddy quipped that we should find him and put a walleye under his windshield wiper. The visual of that slayed me haha. Laugh

Don't like the regs? Petition the people who can change them.

Got something to say to me? Come say it.

Anyway… have never gotten into sustained walleye fishing like that outside of Canada and to get so many big ones made for a very special morning.

Honestly saved the trip.

Too fun and I've got some walleye in the freezer. Yum!

Edited by user Tuesday, May 7, 2019 2:33:30 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

“Harvest eaters... release trophies.” -Gurth
Private correspondence at: jkschind "at" tds.net
Sponsor
Pete  
#2 Posted : Monday, May 6, 2019 7:55:18 PM(UTC)
Pete

Was thanked: 18 time(s) in 15 post(s)
What kind of [i]pendejo[i] gets upset by someone keeping a few eater sized walleyes? And the irony of writing his note on TU stationary, as you pointed out.

He might need a defibrillator if he watched native spearing.
Gurth  
#3 Posted : Monday, May 6, 2019 7:57:23 PM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

Haha... or if he was at any bridge pool on any brook trout stream.
Gurth  
#4 Posted : Monday, May 6, 2019 8:00:25 PM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

Thing too is that I'm all about C&R for the most part. Dipshit doesn't even know me.

I keep zero trout ever - even for buddies who want me to.

I keep no trophies ever and I keep no game fish - sorry walleye are not game/sport fish to me. They're food.

He should have seen the old codger local that I chatted with in the morning who had a stringer with 5 big walleye and 3 big pike on it.

Zugbug  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, May 7, 2019 2:54:30 AM(UTC)
Zugbug

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Maybe the critic with the TU stationery was one of the bobber guys up by the dam 😊

I am totally inconsistent. I seldom if ever keep trout, partly because keeping trout would require a creel, and one of my trout fishing goals is to reduce the amount of stuff that I'm carrying. On the other hand, legal Walleyes frequently wind up as fillets.
OTC_MN  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, May 7, 2019 12:46:18 PM(UTC)
OTC_MN

Was thanked: 35 time(s) in 27 post(s)
Looks like an awesome morning. Early season walleyes love current.

That not is something else tho. I'm all for C&R, but honestly, sometimes the only thing I can come up with to say to people like that is "Get off my side." The fact that that was on TU notepad is just...you can't make it up.

Sad reminder that the reputation of trout anglers as being tight-arsed gits is an earned one.

Walleyes are like ruffed grouse - God put them here for one reason. To be delicious. Smile
"Our tradition is that of the first man who sneaked away to the creek when the tribe did not really need fish."
- Roderick Haig-Brown
Gurth  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, May 7, 2019 1:32:04 PM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

Originally Posted by: Zugbug Go to Quoted Post
Maybe the critic with the TU stationery was one of the bobber guys up by the dam 😊

Haha. Yeah that thought crossed our minds as we could feel them watching us catch fish while their bobbers just floated in the current.

Waders can be the difference between catching fish and watching other people catch fish.

If he wasn’t there fishing for the walleye, not sure why he'd be there at all.

Originally Posted by: OTC_MN Go to Quoted Post

Walleyes are like ruffed grouse - God put them here for one reason. To be delicious. Smile

Lol. Exactly.

I have zero problem with people keeping fish to eat within the regs – including trout.

I wish people would release trophy sized fish, but that's a personal choice as long as it's legal.

If I ever feel the need to put a dead fish on my wall, I will pony up for a replica.

I don't understand why anyone would target walleye to fish for sport. I went out last night in an effort to wash away the bitter defeat of the recent trout fishing and got 7 browns from 15-19 inches. A solid night and much needed.

Even the 15 inch brown fought better than the largest walleye that I caught on Saturday.

I mean… I had a blast on Saturday – it really was fun and the best sustained walleye fishing I've ever encountered - but if I wasn't taking some home to eat, I wouldn't want to do that over and over.

Walleye are food.

Guy would have a better argument if it were smallies that we were keeping (which I wouldn't do), but even then it would be none of his business as long as they were legal.

Funny thing is that while it was my van with TU plates and a couple of trout stickers, he probably thought it was my buddy's as he was fly fishing for them at times.