Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Skimmer  
#1 Posted : Thursday, May 2, 2019 5:18:51 PM(UTC)
Skimmer

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 3 post(s)
I encourage everyone that can to send a message or make the meeting. This is one of my favorite spots to camp in the driftless and I for one would hate to lose it. I messaged the Parks board, and if I'm off on Monday I will make the trip to the meeting.

Copied form the Driftless Angler Fly Shop Facebook page.

ALERT! If you enjoy fishing camp creek in the meadow between Viola and county road G, take a look!

The Viola Park lies along Highway 56 east of Viola, and is used heavily by campers, picnickers and anglers who fish Camp Creek on the public fishing easement between County G and Highway 56. It is owned by Richland County but was deeded to the county by the Village of Viola years ago.
A motorcycle club, the Speed Valley Motorcycle Club, has built a track between the park and the creek. When it began it was reported to only be used to test bikes from S&S Cycle a couple of times a year. But now the club wants the county to give up the park so it can revert to Viola and the club can then buy it from Viola.
This Monday, May 6 at 5 p.m., the Richland County Parks Commission will meet at the Richland County Ag Center conference room to consider the request that would take the park away from the public.
The Ag Center is at 26136 Executive lane, Richland Center, on the north side of Highway 14 next to Kentucky Fried Chicken. If you can show up and speak in favor of keeping the park in public hands, we hope we can convince the Parks Commission to do so.
Thanks to Dave Barron of Jacquish Hollow Anglers (608-585-2239 or 608-604-6690) for bringing this to the attention of anglers.

You can contact the Richland County Parks Commission at 608-647-2100

Or leave a comment on their facebook page. Richland County Parks Commission

We don't want to lose access to one of the best stretches of PUBLIC water on Camp Creek. Please let your voice be heard. Please do not accuse the commissioners of any wrong doing. They are doing their job and holding a public hearing on the matter. Just express your concern about giving up public lands that we all use, and appreciate!

Edited by user Thursday, May 2, 2019 5:19:23 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Sponsor
William Schlafer  
#2 Posted : Thursday, May 2, 2019 5:48:31 PM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 128 time(s) in 106 post(s)
Not sure how big the dirt track racing group is, but I would think the campers, fishermen, group picnics, family gatherings (and now DTA TrapFest) that use this little park greatly outnumber them. I'm not opposed to them having a track, but with the flooding the area often receives you would think there would be a better location.

Once you give away pubic parks or lands, you never get them back. Wish I could attend the meeting, but will be contacting the RC parks department to voice my opinion.

-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
Skimmer  
#3 Posted : Thursday, May 2, 2019 6:45:17 PM(UTC)
Skimmer

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Response from RC Parks

"Thank you for your concern. It was brought up at the county board meeting that there is a deed restriction that says if the county doesn't want to manage the park, it is to go back to the Village of Viola. There is no public hearing about it. Viola Park is on the agenda every month like the other parks the commission manages."
William Schlafer  
#4 Posted : Thursday, May 2, 2019 9:03:25 PM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 128 time(s) in 106 post(s)
Yeah, this isn't going to end well.

I'm sure there's plenty of incentive by Richland County to dump the park back to Viola. Both areas have limited budgets and certainly Viola could use the cash after all the flood problems last year.

Would be a shame to see the little park go away. It was a great downstream egress or ingress point for the creek. Would be great to see the Kickapoo Valley Reserve, or one of the conservancy groups step in and purchase it, or offer a land swap with the MC group.

I guess we should enjoy our visit there during TrapFest. Might be the last time we do.

-Bill

Edited by user Friday, May 3, 2019 1:11:03 AM(UTC)  | Reason: damned typos!

“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
trapper  
#5 Posted : Thursday, May 2, 2019 10:19:34 PM(UTC)
trapper

Was thanked: 37 time(s) in 33 post(s)
I spoke with the Parks folks and will report back after the meeting on Monday. Lots of issues and some misinformation .
Call them and voice your concerns.
Get Reel
trapper  
#6 Posted : Friday, May 3, 2019 8:09:13 PM(UTC)
trapper

I spoke with Viola Village President and he gave me the history of Viola Park. Richland Cty can not sell park without giving first right of refusal to Village of Viola. Richland Cty must keep and maintain as Viola does not want it back nor do the village want the county to change anything. County board Chairman never mention a thing to village President in a 45 minute discussion last evening about Viola Park.
Couple of meth heads got their asses kicked out of Lafarge and Viola. They stayed 40 days at Viola Park and are gone now along with their meth lab.
Let the tug be your drug and you wont end like these two meth heads.
Have a great harvest season
Get Reel
thanks 1 user thanked trapper for this useful post.
SquareEgg on 5/3/2019(UTC)
big_river_bum  
#7 Posted : Saturday, May 4, 2019 10:18:21 AM(UTC)
big_river_bum

Was thanked: 22 time(s) in 17 post(s)
Originally Posted by: trapper Go to Quoted Post
I spoke with Viola Village President and he gave me the history of Viola Park. Richland Cty can not sell park without giving first right of refusal to Village of Viola. Richland Cty must keep and maintain as Viola does not want it back nor do the village want the county to change anything. County board Chairman never mention a thing to village President in a 45 minute discussion last evening about Viola Park.
Couple of meth heads got their asses kicked out of Lafarge and Viola. They stayed 40 days at Viola Park and are gone now along with their meth lab.
Let the tug be your drug and you wont end like these two meth heads.
Have a great harvest season

interesting. i drove by the campground last week and noticed it looked like someone had set up shop permanently lol

too bad they got kicked out before trapfest. i love tweaking while fishing a good sulphur hatch Flapper
trapper  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, May 7, 2019 12:39:22 AM(UTC)
trapper

Possible changes to rules at Viola Park in the future. Trapfest is a go.
I spoke with the man who runs the cattle next door.
As for now, he will allow fishers to access the pasture using the stile he provided next to Viola Park. Please respect the place. If you see anyone abusing the pasture or Viola Park, get any info and report it to the gas station in Viola and tag me so it can be handled
Get Reel
JGF  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, May 8, 2019 12:22:30 AM(UTC)
JGF

Man
United States

Was thanked: 19 time(s) in 16 post(s)
Thanks for the update, Trapper.