Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

55 Pages«<4748495051>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Jumpsuit  
#481 Posted : Wednesday, May 15, 2019 2:54:09 AM(UTC)
Jumpsuit

Man

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Dear God gurth, that is a magnificent fish! I love fishing cranks and am continually suprised at how big you can go with size, and browns just don't care like northern and muskies. I couple weeks ago after landing a 19" and I thinking I had the big fish of the morning I had a mid 20's that dwarfed it just make my ML set up with 8 lb p-line look like a joke as he broke me off after about 45 seconds . I couldn't help but just sit there afterwords and laugh at how powerful big browns are . Btw are you still using 10 lb power pro or did you switch back to trilene XT?
thanks 1 user thanked Jumpsuit for this useful post.
Gurth on 5/15/2019(UTC)
Gurth  
#482 Posted : Wednesday, May 15, 2019 3:33:53 AM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

Was thanked: 133 time(s) in 105 post(s)
Thanks Jump and everyone else.

I have a photo with the Rap still in its mouth that I didn’t share and it looks puny even though it’s a 4.175 inch lure. They might bite on a musky lure, who knows?

That setup has 20lb PP and is on a 6 foot medium light Berkley Lightning Rod.

Also have a 6.5 foot medium Lightning Rod, also with 20lb.

Bought them primarily to use for bass and walleye but love them for Raps on a stream. Call them my Speys as the butt is long and they can be cast two-handed. Really light and sensitive and responsive considering their action.

They aren’t good with Martins though.

I have a couple of Light Ugly Stiks with 10lb PP that I use for PMs when going after bigs.

I use ULs with 10lb PP for smaller water and have a 4’8” ugly with 6lb mono for really small water.

Haha. There’s a long answer to your short question.

I’m a full convert to Power Pro now and like it a lot.

Edited by user Wednesday, May 15, 2019 12:26:33 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

“Harvest eaters... release trophies.” -Gurth
Private correspondence at: jkschind "at" tds.net
NBrevitz  
#483 Posted : Wednesday, May 15, 2019 6:56:13 AM(UTC)
NBrevitz

Man

Was thanked: 59 time(s) in 49 post(s)
Helluva fishThumpUp ThumpUp
Thats a Brown I'd actually try to catchLaugh
Seriously though, well done man, awesome PB and way to expand your repertoire with the stickbaits. I did the same thing with jigs last year and they've firmly become a staple of the box.
"I fish because I love to: Because only in the woods can I find solitude without loneliness."
thanks 1 user thanked NBrevitz for this useful post.
Gurth on 5/15/2019(UTC)
s.t.fanatic  
#484 Posted : Wednesday, May 15, 2019 11:18:45 AM(UTC)
s.t.fanatic

Was thanked: 16 time(s) in 16 post(s)
Awesome fish!!! For me it;s jigs for numbers #11 original floating Raps for Bigs and PMs as a last resort. I love fishing raps but unhooking a large angry trout with a lure in its mouth that has 9 hooks can get interesting to say the least.

As far as color goes on the raps, Perch is my go to, black and gold next favorite, followed by brown trout.
thanks 1 user thanked s.t.fanatic for this useful post.
Gurth on 5/15/2019(UTC)
Gurth  
#485 Posted : Wednesday, May 15, 2019 12:19:02 PM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

I actually bought that orange Shadow Rap on Sunday and then caught that guy later the same day.

The Shadow Raps that I've been able to find are mostly in the silver and/or blue spectrum and I wanted something that looked a little more like a small brown trout or a sucker. They don't really have many in the earth tones or browns or yellows.

Trout will bite on and some days prefer the orange (copper dots) Panther and I've got brown/orange X-Raps (Rusty Crawdad) that have worked, so figured it could be a good choice.

For X-Raps, I use the River Perch and the Rusty Crawdad although I have several other variants of both as well as some Husky and Classics.

I like the Shadow Rap (deep) coz it gets down with one jerk and suspends there – even with the current.

Just don't want to use it in an area with a lot of snags.

I have an old classic Rap in the brown trout variant and haven't tried it yet although it's been riding in my stream box with me. Have had it for years (decades?) now and can't remember where it came from.

Nick – jigs are next on the list for expansion. I've got a bunch of maribou that I bought. Now to get comfortable with them.

Edited by user Wednesday, May 15, 2019 1:04:26 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Pete  
#486 Posted : Wednesday, May 15, 2019 6:56:01 PM(UTC)
Pete

Was thanked: 20 time(s) in 17 post(s)
Sorry for the delay I replying, but I just saw your photos and the subsequent posts now. Two feet plus of brown trout: that's an amazing fish; congratulations.

Just curious about a couple of things: were you fishing upstream or down? Are crank baits effective being retrieved with the current? And how did the fish hit? Crush it sideways, head first or hit from behind? All of those things matter to me as a streamer fisherman; not much difference between body baits and streamers as far as techniques.

Congrats again; how do you plan on topping that this Summer?
thanks 1 user thanked Pete for this useful post.
Gurth on 5/15/2019(UTC)
Gurth  
#487 Posted : Wednesday, May 15, 2019 8:00:49 PM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

Originally Posted by: Pete Go to Quoted Post
Sorry for the delay I replying, but I just saw your photos and the subsequent posts now. Two feet plus of brown trout: that's an amazing fish; congratulations.

Just curious about a couple of things: were you fishing upstream or down? Are crank baits effective being retrieved with the current? And how did the fish hit? Crush it sideways, head first or hit from behind? All of those things matter to me as a streamer fisherman; not much difference between body baits and streamers as far as techniques.

Congrats again; how do you plan on topping that this Summer?

Thanks!

Haha… there is a far more accomplished crank bait fisherman on here than myself. Probably more than one. I'm just getting started (on streams) although knowing trout helps with the learning curve tremendously.

FWIW, as I mentioned above, I like the deep Shadow Raps as they get down fast and suspend there – even with the current.

Anyway… here's what I do which is essentially the same as with spinners except that I generally bring spinners back with a straight and consistent retrieve.

I cast across stream most of the time to an undercut and a quick jerk or two and pause and then just twitch or swim it back slowly or a jumble of both. Gotta make it look in distress or dying so that the trout will believe he can catch it without too much expenditure.

Most hits I get are right away or within the first few feet.

I'll also bring them down my shore within a foot if I'm on the deeper side and the cut is good.

The undercut at or beyond tails of corner pools are good spots, but I'm sure you know that.

In corner pools, I cast to the far side and twitch it through the deep water and also along the inner calmer water or along the outer bank.

Then I cast it above the pool and bring it over the drop. Sometimes I'll do the drop first if it's a short pool and it looks like the best lie.

I honestly get more quality fish though above or below pools than right in them.

I will also very slowly drag X-Raps upstream along undercut banks on my shore or up a deep run that I am above – got an 18 a couple weeks ago in this fashion.

The big guy hit it each time from the side and below and he was at the top of the pool in the drop spot. He hit it about halfway across the 6 foot wide pool over the deepest water although the lure was only maybe halfway down. I believe he tracked it from his prime lie each time. The hits were remarkably similar all things considered and happened in generally the same way and in the same part of the pool and from the same direction.

Sorry if that was way more than you were looking for but maybe someone newer can use some of that.

In all seriousness, I won't try to top it. I'm not a BIG-fish only guy at all and am looking forward to tall grass and gnats to force me off these marginal waters and back to more traditional trout waters.

That and an Ontario trip and yak bass & pike fishing and… Laugh

I really enjoy that I feel like I have a BIG fish season in the spring and then other opportunities come online as that one fades. Gives me things to look forward to and then savor and then put away until the next year.

Right now I'm chomping to get after bass and especially top water.

Special fish for sure and feel very fortunate. I'll be good until the next one though.

In the meantime, I'll take whatever I can rustle up – any species.
Pete  
#488 Posted : Thursday, May 16, 2019 2:32:41 PM(UTC)
Pete

Was thanked: 20 time(s) in 17 post(s)

I honestly get more quality fish though above or below pools than right in them.

The big guy hit it each time from the side and below and he was at the top of the pool in the drop spot. He hit it about halfway across the 6 foot wide pool over the deepest water although the lure was only maybe halfway down. I believe he tracked it from his prime lie each time. The hits were remarkably similar all things considered and happened in generally the same way and in the same part of the pool and from the same direction.

Thanks for the in-depth reply: there is always something to learn in this game and we can learn plenty even from-maybe especially from-those who fish differently from us. Interesting point about getting quality fish above or below pools rather than right in them. My instinct is usually to work the deep water first, as it's relatively safe for the fish and one would think they'd spend most of their time there. But things change when they are feeding: they're willing to expose themselves to some danger as long as the payoff-in the form of food-is worth it. I think it's especially true at night or in low light conditions; they'll often be feeding in thin water in riffles or tail outs.

I asked about how big fish hit minnow baits because I've so rarely seen it in a small stream. The one chase that sticks out in my mind was at a power plant discharge on Lake Michigan (for sure lake browns are different from even big browns in a stream). Shad, including some big ones were absolutely stacked in the warm water. A big brown separated one from the school and the chase took place inches under the surface. Shad are not slow, especially when fleeing for their lives, but this one never had a chance. He was so fast it was difficult to even track with the naked eye and he made a lot of changes of direction, but he never got any separation from the brown; the trout stayed inches behind him the entire way and eventually swallowed him whole from behind. I keep remind myself after that not to slow down a retrieve when I see a fish following-if he wants to eat, he can catch anything out there.

Again, many thanks for the reply.
Gurth  
#489 Posted : Thursday, May 16, 2019 3:25:06 PM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

Oh man… don't skip the tail of a corner or any pool.

I'm not talking about the tailout of a typical trout pool after a run or riffle>run on a trouty stream.

I'm talking in deeper marginal waters where there is hardly a noticeable run but more of a drop from 2 feet to 4 or 5 and then back up to 2 feet either after a corner or a mid-strait "pool" (deeper area).

I've gotten a whole bunch of high quality browns in the undercuts just downstream or right at the end of these features. Actually, far more than up at the drop.

The big one the other day is an exception to that but I attack a deep feature from the downstream up in stages and have actually gotten two bigs out of the same corner a couple times in this manner.

Love the shad story – thanks for sharing. That had to be amazing to witness. They really are incredibly fast fish.

Poor shad Sad … lol.
s.t.fanatic  
#490 Posted : Friday, May 17, 2019 3:55:38 PM(UTC)
s.t.fanatic

Was thanked: 16 time(s) in 16 post(s)
When it comes to warm weather season and crank baits, jerk hard and real fast.