Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Mark Dahlquist  
#1 Posted : Friday, May 17, 2019 11:58:46 PM(UTC)
Mark Dahlquist

Man

Was thanked: 29 time(s) in 21 post(s)
47 now and this past winter I hurt my rotator cuff dealing with an ice dam on my roof. A couple weeks of rest and back to normal. And now I fished Sunday 1/2 day, Monday 1/2 day, Tuesday 1/2 day, and Thursday full day. So 2.5 days or 20 hours fishing this week and I have fishing elbow. I assume this is tendinitis meaning a tare or overexerted the muscle and joint. Feels like tendon to me similar to the shoulder. We are only strings pulling over bone with muscle.

Anyone else have had fishing elbow? Advice? Ice and rest I assume.

Walleye still new to me. They have some of The lightest and fastest bites around. And for the two dozen I landed I had the same or more that came unbuttoned. So many casts and drifts and hook sets. Some big fish too like that 25lb+ buffalo and hooking into big pike but walleyes too they really fight pound per pound.

BTW I was river fishing with 10lb Power Pro. The eyes did not seem line shy but still only 2-3'of visibility. IMO light line not needed for eyes or trout or most fish for that matter.

Edited by user Saturday, May 18, 2019 12:01:17 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

-Mark
Board Owner
UserPostedImage
Sponsor
rschmidt  
#2 Posted : Saturday, May 18, 2019 1:12:42 AM(UTC)
rschmidt

Was thanked: 55 time(s) in 47 post(s)
Take Motrin prophalactically. Since my bike accident, compound fracture left leg, compound fracture left arm, collarbone busted with 4 pins...i walked 9 miles today to fish. Even at 100+ outings a year, I feel great. The Motrin before and after leave me without sore or stiffness. On the elbow, rest it and find some PT exercises to strengthen it. R
NBrevitz  
#3 Posted : Saturday, May 18, 2019 1:35:26 AM(UTC)
NBrevitz

Man

Was thanked: 59 time(s) in 49 post(s)
I’ve been dealing with some stuff too. I managed to hurt myself pretty badly in the weight room, and while it’s gotten much better, my entire left side is still out of whack. Lesson learned, don’t get your legs too out of balance strength wise, and never neglect the glutes and hamstrings!
"I fish because I love to: Because only in the woods can I find solitude without loneliness."
NBrevitz  
#4 Posted : Saturday, May 18, 2019 1:36:18 AM(UTC)
NBrevitz

Man

Was thanked: 59 time(s) in 49 post(s)
And yes, I’ve gotten fishing elbow a couple times after week long Canada trips.
"I fish because I love to: Because only in the woods can I find solitude without loneliness."
Mark Dahlquist  
#5 Posted : Saturday, May 18, 2019 2:36:14 AM(UTC)
Mark Dahlquist

Man

Stretches help. We as fisherman need to warm up. Athletes!
-Mark
Board Owner
UserPostedImage
William Schlafer  
#6 Posted : Sunday, May 19, 2019 3:13:27 AM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 176 time(s) in 137 post(s)
Messed up my elbow (inside and outside tendons) over doing it playing golf. Got so bad I couldn't play golf, or barely stand to cast or hang on to the fly rod. Found a great physical therapy guy who pressed and stretched the muscles and connective tissues over several visits. Gave me a Styrofoam roller to use in conjunction with some stretching exercises. After a week or so, my arm was back to full strength.

-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
Mark Dahlquist  
#7 Posted : Thursday, May 30, 2019 10:51:39 PM(UTC)
Mark Dahlquist

Man

Been a couple weeks since the injury. Realized fishing just gets it inflamed again. Going to an orthopedic next Thursday. I hear it can take 1-2 years in some instances. Ugh.

-Mark
Board Owner
UserPostedImage
Pete  
#8 Posted : Friday, May 31, 2019 1:42:01 AM(UTC)
Pete

Views messages in topic : 591

Was thanked: 20 time(s) in 17 post(s)
Don’t let him talk you into surgery, at least not right away. Maybe it will turn out to be necessary and helpful, but there’s always time to seek a second opinion. Sometimes rest, PT or medication can solve the problem without the long recovery of surgery.

Not all, but some surgeons can be quick to cut: if your only tool is a hammer, everything begins to look like a nail. If your only tool is a scalpel....

Good luck. I hope you get a speedy and full recovery.
Gurth  
#9 Posted : Friday, May 31, 2019 2:43:16 AM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

Was thanked: 147 time(s) in 115 post(s)
I’ve wondered what I’d do if I hurt my arm. Pretty sure I’d try to learn lefty.

Hurt my neck and right shoulder really bad in a hockey fall into the end boards about 10 years ago. My shoulder still isn’t right although it’s a ton better than it was in the year afterwards.

I do a lot in my job with a mouse which absolutely made the nerves blow up. Learned how to mouse lefty and now that’s actually my default.

I’ve no doubt that I could learn to fish lefty. Would take a bit but learning to mouse lefty gives me a ton of confidence that it would be possible.
“Harvest eaters... release trophies.” -Gurth
Private correspondence at: jkschind "at" tds.net
Mark Dahlquist  
#10 Posted : Friday, May 31, 2019 3:56:46 AM(UTC)
Mark Dahlquist

Man

Thanks! I switched out my reel to lefty and wow was it weird to set and reel in. My brain was backwards. I do a lot of typing and mouse clicking. Maybe that is part of the problem? I don't know. Only hurts by my elbow so I think setting all those hooks did micro-tares in my tendon. Yeah I would not consider surgery asap unless I knew it was severe or totally torn. RICE. Rest. Ice. Compression. Elevate. And not to even stretch until the pain goes away.

Edited by user Friday, May 31, 2019 3:57:53 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

-Mark
Board Owner
UserPostedImage