Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Gurth  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, May 28, 2019 6:33:37 PM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

Was thanked: 162 time(s) in 128 post(s)
Didn't fish Saturday but did scout a local stream as a barometer and was surprised to find it a rich chocolate milk. Figured it would be silty, but this was full runoff mode blown.

Knew that my planned Sunday outing in Grant would be shot as they got more rain than us.

Decided to go yak fishing in Adams County on Sunday instead. Crossed several trout streams on the way up and all were chocolate.

Got off the lake at noon and decided to have a look at a Central Sands trout stream that runs through the area.

Knew it was there but had never stopped by as I was always up there to lake fish.

The bridge I went to was in the woods, the water was slightly stained and the bottom at my entry point was… well… sand.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Could hear riffles off in the woods and the filtered sun through the late spring leaves made this stream look very inviting. Decided to give it a go.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

The fish (all browns) were active and willing and colorful, but the size structure was very small - most were 5-9 inches.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Caught around 20 and lost just as many when they spit the hook. Multiple fish went airborne and a few even jumped 4 feet out of the water 3 or 4 times which was a hoot.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

Normally I'd get pissy only catching small browns with no real prospects for a decent fish, but the beauty of this stream wouldn't allow for that and I happily spent over 3 hours on this hike.

Hard to convey in words, but I stumbled upon a different postcard shot every 20 feet with giant downed trees - some covered in moss or other plants, wildflowers, filtered sun, giant-leafed marsh plants, golden sand, rocky runs, a high railroad bridge, several deer, etc, etc, etc…

Train arrived as I was unhooking this one…

UserPostedImage

Have never seen so much pure white as this trout had…

UserPostedImage

Certainly looks similar to fresh stocker in pattern, but no stocking has been done in this system since the 70s. Cool fish and really popped.

Eventually I came to a spot that was right next to the highway and made my exit to walk back to the van. Ran into a local and she asked how it went and I told her I got a bunch. She smiled and asked if they were all under 10 inches. Yep. Pretty much. Told her it was one of the prettiest trout streams I've seen.

Oh, and at one point had a mosquito on my hand that was biting while I had a fish on and didn't want to swat it so grabbed it with my mouth, spit it out and landed the fish. Laugh

Gangsta

Anyway… I won't fish this again knowing the limitations of the size structure, but it was an incredible walk through the woods on a beautiful day and I'm glad I did it once.
“Harvest eaters... release trophies.” -Gurth
Private correspondence at: jkschind "at" tds.net
thanks 4 users thanked Gurth for this useful post.
William Schlafer on 5/28/2019(UTC), Pete on 5/28/2019(UTC), mmalyuk on 5/28/2019(UTC), Z4c64 on 6/3/2019(UTC)
Sponsor
William Schlafer  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, May 28, 2019 8:46:39 PM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 190 time(s) in 148 post(s)
Great looking stream Gurth!

I'd fish that stream any day. I bet there's a few bigger Trout hiding in there somewhere. Looks a lot like some of those streams Ron has in his videos. Always impressed with the way he can pry fish out of impossibly tight spots at point blank range.

-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
thanks 2 users thanked William Schlafer for this useful post.
Gurth on 5/29/2019(UTC), rschmidt on 5/29/2019(UTC)
Pete  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, May 28, 2019 8:48:17 PM(UTC)
Pete

Was thanked: 21 time(s) in 18 post(s)
Thanks for this. I always intend to try and spend more time fishing the Central Sands, but it almost never happens. Lower densities of fish than in the Driftless, but there are some large fish around. They mostly show themselves during the hex hatch or at night. It's a tough place to fish on a sunny day due to such clear water.

Most of my time in the area has been spent to the east of where you were, in Marquette County. Much like the stream you were on in Adams, it is an incredibly scenic area. I wanted to try a little farther north, in Waushara County, maybe the West Branch of the White to catch a wild rainbow; Pine is supposed to produce some big fish; Willow Creek is actually more of a river and would allow for some longer casting. But it's getting late enough in the Spring now so that navigation and casting will be tough in the very near future as the vegetation overgrows. I may be better off waiting until Autumn and trying some terrestrial fishing or upstream as the browns and brooks prepare to spawn.

Thanks for the reminder that the Central Sands streams haven't gone anywhere and are still there. It was a good read. One of these days...
thanks 1 user thanked Pete for this useful post.
Gurth on 5/29/2019(UTC)
billybigbilly  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, May 28, 2019 11:01:23 PM(UTC)
billybigbilly

Man

Was thanked: 14 time(s) in 12 post(s)
Looks like some nice water, it reminds me of the trout water I started on, mine was a little smaller but it still a fun time and you can really learn how to cast accurately on those streams.
thanks 1 user thanked billybigbilly for this useful post.
Gurth on 5/29/2019(UTC)
Buckman  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, May 29, 2019 12:51:26 AM(UTC)
Buckman

United States

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Thanks for sharing, that's a good looking creek you were on. I'd like to explore up that way one of these days when I can shake free again.
thanks 1 user thanked Buckman for this useful post.
Gurth on 5/29/2019(UTC)
Gurth  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, May 29, 2019 5:32:02 AM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

Was thanked: 162 time(s) in 128 post(s)
Thinking about it... I may hit it again as it seems to be perfect Tenkara water and I have a 3wt that I swear I’m gonna get out one of these years.

So many fish that I’d think I could get a few.
“Harvest eaters... release trophies.” -Gurth
Private correspondence at: jkschind "at" tds.net
NBrevitz  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, May 29, 2019 5:29:54 PM(UTC)
NBrevitz

Man

Was thanked: 69 time(s) in 56 post(s)
I enjoy small, pretty creeks like that every now and again. Nice change of pace from mucky trophy water. Nice job and nice write up
"I fish because I love to: Because only in the woods can I find solitude without loneliness."
thanks 1 user thanked NBrevitz for this useful post.
Gurth on 5/30/2019(UTC)