Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Life of Riley  
#1 Posted : Saturday, June 22, 2019 5:05:44 AM(UTC)
Life of Riley

Korea, D.P.R.O.

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 7 post(s)
I'm wondering how those of you who access a creek/stream/river/crick by legal means of public right-of-way near a road determine what is legal as an entrance point. For instance, some streams meander right next to a road, how do you determine distance, and if you are able to make it into the stream bed without tresspassing?
Sponsor
William Schlafer  
#2 Posted : Sunday, June 23, 2019 1:58:42 AM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 198 time(s) in 152 post(s)
I think this might be the answer you're looking for, at least regarding Wisconsin streams right of way:

https://dnr.wi.gov/topic.../StreamAccessRoadROW.pdf

Not sure about Iowa and Minnesota. But you may find some information on their DNR websites.

-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
thanks 1 user thanked William Schlafer for this useful post.
Life of Riley on 6/23/2019(UTC)
shebs  
#3 Posted : Sunday, June 23, 2019 3:55:28 AM(UTC)
shebs

Was thanked: 59 time(s) in 48 post(s)
In MN it's known as the four rod rule (a rod being a surveyors tool, equal to 16.5 feet). 4 x 16.5 = 66 feet, i.e. 33 feet from the centerline in either direction.
This is almost always the case with US highways, state highways, and county roads - it gets a lot messier with township roads, however.

Edited by user Sunday, June 23, 2019 3:57:20 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

A bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work. ~Author Unknown
Modern Translation, with respect for the Notorious B.I.G. : "Fuck Money, Get Fishes"
thanks 1 user thanked shebs for this useful post.
Life of Riley on 6/23/2019(UTC)
madguy30  
#4 Posted : Monday, June 24, 2019 1:57:05 AM(UTC)
madguy30

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 12 post(s)
Originally Posted by: William Schlafer Go to Quoted Post
I think this might be the answer you're looking for, at least regarding Wisconsin streams right of way:

Not sure about Iowa and Minnesota. But you may find some information on their DNR websites.

-Bill

So basically you can get in at a bridge and walk roughly 20 feet on the bank to get in?

I typically just fish public areas so not well versed on this stuff, but am always leary when it comes to trying to get in at a bridge but the pool seeming to be very deep and tricky to wade into.
big_river_bum  
#5 Posted : Monday, June 24, 2019 5:18:10 PM(UTC)
big_river_bum

Was thanked: 29 time(s) in 24 post(s)
just pretend to trip and roll down the hill

well, since i'm here, i might as well fish
PaulH  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, June 25, 2019 2:03:39 AM(UTC)
PaulH

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Originally Posted by: madguy30 Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: William Schlafer Go to Quoted Post

-Bill

So basically you can get in at a bridge and walk roughly 20 feet on the bank to get in?

I typically just fish public areas so not well versed on this stuff, but am always leary when it comes to trying to get in at a bridge but the pool seeming to be very deep and tricky to wade into.

That's the general idea, yes. Unfortunately it's not uncommon for the water near a bridge to be too deep to wade. In Wisconsin one is technically allowed to leave the water to pass obstacles, including deep water, so it would be legal to follow the bank until it's safe to enter. Still, accessing a stretch legally doesn't mean necessarily mean it might not be problematic. I personally like to avoid not only breaking the law, but also making a landowner feel I'm not respecting his/her rights, so I don't like to enter at a bridge where I can't safely wade. I've carried a laminated copy of the state laws about stream access in case I ever needed to justify my presence somewhere, but never needed to take it out.

In Minnesota the laws are similar, but without the clause allowing you to walk on land to bypass obstacles. In Iowa, if the water flows through private property, even the stream bottom is private, so you can't fish it without permission of the land owner.

Keeping it simple, there's plenty of water with shoreline easements, and you can see maps of those on each state's web site. But if you want to try somewhere else, step one is to find out who owns the land. Check out the county web site for the county in question, and you can view a map on which you can find out who owns any parcel of land. For example, in La Crosse County, try this link:

https://lacrossecounty.m...31654010bed9aa9d258d5ad0

In that map, tap the menu icon, and check the "parcels" box, and you can see who owns any plot of land. I've only occasionally sought permission to fish on private land in Wisconsin, but I've never been denied.

Then, at least in Wisconsin, there's the option of floating the water. To fish stretches of Coon Creek that don't have easements, I once kayaked from Coon Valley to Chaseburg. It was reasonably productive, but I don't intend to repeat the adventure often. I'd get a couple of casts, then have to stow the rod to duck under overhanging trees or drag the boat over log jams. There are a great many of those log jams to contend with. It was tough going, but I'd always wanted to take a crack at the least fished spots. I caught a fair number of trout, but probably not more, or bigger, than I'd have caught if I'd have made as many casts on the stretches with public easements.

I hope that helps...

Paul