Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

3 Pages<123
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
rschmidt  
#21 Posted : Friday, June 14, 2019 2:45:19 AM(UTC)
rschmidt

Was thanked: 62 time(s) in 51 post(s)
Gnats were extra thick in the N Driftless tonight. I ate a few but also landed a tank. :)

UserPostedImage

Not the longest, but tank of an 18.

Ron
weiliwen  
#22 Posted : Friday, June 14, 2019 2:45:22 AM(UTC)
weiliwen

Man
United States
Location: Madison, Wisconsin during the week and Lincolnshire, Illinois on weekends.

Was thanked: 45 time(s) in 39 post(s)
Today a buddy of mine told me he was on his way up from Delavan to fish Vernon Creek and did I want to join him? Nothing against my buddy, but the stories about the gnats made me reluctant. Nevertheless, I said I would meet him there after I finished work for the day. He got there around 3PM, and I was expected to turn up around 5. At 4 PM he called me to tell me he'd had enough, the gnats had sucked him dry, he was going home. I dodged a bullet there.
Bob Williams, "Weiliwen"
big_river_bum  
#23 Posted : Friday, June 14, 2019 2:53:34 AM(UTC)
big_river_bum

Was thanked: 29 time(s) in 24 post(s)
i've fished 2 or 3 evenings a week the last month and haven't found the gnats to be bad. there around, but nothing a cig and some buggins doesn't take care of

did fish sunday afternoon and they were terrible when the sun finally came out. plus i got a few decent parsnip burns on my arms
Pete  
#24 Posted : Monday, June 17, 2019 2:22:52 PM(UTC)
Pete

Was thanked: 21 time(s) in 18 post(s)
I now know all too well that the gnats aren't just a problem in the Driftless: they're making fishing difficult south of the border too. My wife got home Friday afternoon and commented on the high winds. I thought that sounded perfect, that it would keep the mosquitoes and gnats off of me; no such luck. I was covered up pretty well but anywhere there was a break in the wind, from a few trees or some low ground, the biting insects were there. My hands were about the only things exposed and they found them. Lots of antihistamines and anti-inflammatories are making life bearable, but next time, I'm going out with permethrin-treated gloves.
JGF  
#25 Posted : Monday, June 17, 2019 4:21:15 PM(UTC)
JGF

Man
United States

Was thanked: 20 time(s) in 17 post(s)
Spent most of the last 2 weeks out in the Driftless and the gnats are awful. However, Buggins or something similar works great, you just have to reapply often, ever hour or 2.

On the fishing report, cloud cover is good, bright sunny skies are not.
shebs  
#26 Posted : Monday, June 17, 2019 4:57:03 PM(UTC)
shebs

Was thanked: 59 time(s) in 48 post(s)
I was out yesterday, and can confirm that vanilla extract is a fantastic repellant. It's a bit sticky and makes you smell like a birthday cake, but a rag soaked in it and dabbed on ears/neck every few hours works like a charm.
A bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work. ~Author Unknown
Modern Translation, with respect for the Notorious B.I.G. : "Fuck Money, Get Fishes"
thanks 2 users thanked shebs for this useful post.
Mark Dahlquist on 6/18/2019(UTC), billybigbilly on 6/20/2019(UTC)
weiliwen  
#27 Posted : Thursday, June 20, 2019 4:49:18 PM(UTC)
weiliwen

Man
United States
Location: Madison, Wisconsin during the week and Lincolnshire, Illinois on weekends.

Was thanked: 45 time(s) in 39 post(s)
Any recent reports on malicious bugs? The masochist in me wants to head down to my nearest trout stream, brave gnats, skeeters, ticks, wild parsnip, and tall grass overhanging the banks, to get a bit of fishing in.
Bob Williams, "Weiliwen"
billybigbilly  
#28 Posted : Thursday, June 20, 2019 5:11:20 PM(UTC)
billybigbilly

Man

Was thanked: 14 time(s) in 12 post(s)
Originally Posted by: shebs Go to Quoted Post
I was out yesterday, and can confirm that vanilla extract is a fantastic repellant. It's a bit sticky and makes you smell like a birthday cake, but a rag soaked in it and dabbed on ears/neck every few hours works like a charm.

I might have to try that trick, but the thing is I heard bear hunters do the same thing to attract bears. So whats worse gnats or bears LOL
PaulH  
#29 Posted : Tuesday, June 25, 2019 2:21:38 AM(UTC)
PaulH

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I just got off a stream not far from La Crosse, and caught a good number of browns, but I'd have quit much sooner if I didn't have gear for dealing with gnats. This year, with the gnats being especially bad, I'm always carrying an insect net to wear over my hat. Visibility through the netting suffers a bit, so I keep the net up on my hat if the bugs aren't too bad. When the gnats get really nasty, I pull it down over my face. I've just ordered a longer one, with enough mesh to tuck into a shirt, as the ones I have will let a few get it around my neck. Still, it makes it tolerable to fish in a cloud of the little $#!+s.

Tight lines,

Paul