Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

93 Pages«<8081828384>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
big_river_bum  
#811 Posted : Sunday, June 16, 2019 9:55:53 PM(UTC)
big_river_bum

Was thanked: 29 time(s) in 24 post(s)
Originally Posted by: William Schlafer Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: big_river_bum Go to Quoted Post
Zoom into wisconsin on this map. I'm in stoddard right now and just southeast of town got over 4 inches of rain in the last 90 minutes

That's the last thing folks in that area need after the last couple years of flooding.

I was really hoping for a quiet summer for the DA. I drove though the upper part of Vernon county yesterday on the way back to Milwaukee. Damage from last summers flood was still obvious. Brush Creek along Hwy 33 was really hard hit. Although, there were lots of bike riders, canoe/kayakers and campers about, which is good for local economy.

All this rain is bad news also for the states downstream along the Mississippi River.

-Bill

the real heavy stuff was very localized and luckily a lot of it fell in the mississippi river valley and not all on top of the hills

i fished with my dad in crawford county today and we had excellent conditions
big_river_bum  
#812 Posted : Saturday, June 29, 2019 4:37:02 AM(UTC)
big_river_bum

https://wxow.com/news/20...es-fatal-for-1000-trout/

i used to fish the shyt out of this stream.
Smis  
#813 Posted : Saturday, June 29, 2019 11:44:14 AM(UTC)
Smis

United States

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 6 post(s)
Originally Posted by: big_river_bum Go to Quoted Post
https://wxow.com/news/2019/06/17/manure-spill-proves-fatal-for-1000-trout/

i used to fish the shyt out of this stream.

Looks like “fishing the shyt out of this stream” will have a more literal connotation for the foreseeable future, unfortunately.

How long does it take creeks to bounce back after accidents like this?
William Schlafer  
#814 Posted : Saturday, June 29, 2019 3:28:46 PM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 176 time(s) in 137 post(s)
On the sat photos there appears to be a large manure holding pond on a farm near Cty Hwy I and Oertel Road. It probably overflowed with the heavy rainstorms earlier in the week and washed into the creek. If it's anything like similar spills, there likely won't be any repercussions for the land owner. The Wisconsin DNR had it's enforcement abilities removed by the legislature a few years back, and the local DA's have little interest in getting involved as they don't view it as crime (or within their jurisdiction).

Events like this will become more and more common with the growth of large high concentration feed lots, and no oversight by regulatory agencies. Bad news for Trout streams, but also bad news for the drinking water of people who live in those areas.

https://madison.com/wsj/...b-869b-95e6f0e2fe3e.html

-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
William Schlafer  
#815 Posted : Saturday, June 29, 2019 3:48:47 PM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Originally Posted by: Smis Go to Quoted Post

How long does it take creeks to bounce back after accidents like this?

I grew up on Willow Creek (Richland County WI) which suffered a major fish kill about a decade ago. An irresponsible operator spread tons of liquid manure onto a field right before a major rainstorm. The runoff killed off most of the resident fish population for miles downstream. After restocking efforts there were catch able Trout to be had several seasons later. But in many ways the stream is just now finally getting back to what it was with reproducing populations of Trout.

Willow isn't the most healthy creek out there, with lots of soil erosion, suspended sentiments and lower oxygen levels in it's lower portions. A healthier stream with better clean water sources could bounce back quicker. A good one to watch is Otter Creek (in Crawford county) which suffered a fish kill due to manure runoff earlier this year.

-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
thanks 1 user thanked William Schlafer for this useful post.
Smis on 6/30/2019(UTC)
madguy30  
#816 Posted : Saturday, June 29, 2019 10:41:28 PM(UTC)
madguy30

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 12 post(s)
I need to trust NOAA and learn to not trust NOAA at the same time.

Shot down to Lafayette County to see if any smallmouth were around...NOAA showed lowish and steady flow for the past few days despite the rain so figured it would be turbid but at least low enough.

Was up, muddy, and fast (for that river/creek). With the heat and gnats added in I got maybe 45 minutes of fishing in. I had plenty of bug goop on but I still inhaled and breathed in plenty.

So with streams up all over, bugs everywhere, and the Madison lakes in prime blue/green slime form, gonna need other options than fishing, sadly.

Token I bet the cows had a good time watching me try to fish.
William Schlafer  
#817 Posted : Sunday, June 30, 2019 2:12:53 PM(UTC)
William Schlafer

It's so hit and miss right now.

I've had my spies in SW Wisconsin checking on things and the reports are all over the place. Some streams and rivers are high and muddy, some are running clear. Big storms are pushing down from the Twin Cities / Eau Claire area, but it's not clear if they'll reach the southern part of the DA or not. Then there's the heat and humidity. The best chance to fish is early in the morning to avoid the mid-day high temps.

I might take a chance and drive up on Monday, but not looking forward to a 2:30AM wake up call!

-Bill
Smis  
#818 Posted : Monday, July 1, 2019 12:22:33 PM(UTC)
Smis

United States

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 6 post(s)
Any reports on stream conditions south of the Wisconsin? Sounds like the area got slammed with ran overnight.

Tomorrow will be my first opportunity to get out fishing in over two months so anything short of blown out flood conditions and I’ll probably make the trip.

Thanks for any info you can provide

- Steve
weiliwen  
#819 Posted : Monday, July 1, 2019 12:59:50 PM(UTC)
weiliwen

Man
United States
Location: Madison, Wisconsin during the week and Lincolnshire, Illinois on weekends.

Was thanked: 43 time(s) in 37 post(s)
There's always places; you might have to move higher up your intended watershed to find clear water, or just huck some meat or San Juan Worms right up against the shore.
Bob Williams, "Weiliwen"
big_river_bum  
#820 Posted : Monday, July 1, 2019 1:30:39 PM(UTC)
big_river_bum

i drove around last night. a few of my standby streams for when it rains were chocolate milk. i found fishable water though. caught 10 on royal coachman from about 7:30 til dark

our 10 day forecast has scattered/isolated/widespread storms for almost everyday

my guess is you'll have to do some driving and expect to stick to smaller stuff