Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

90 Pages«<8182838485>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
big_river_bum  
#821 Posted : Monday, July 1, 2019 1:37:45 PM(UTC)
big_river_bum

Was thanked: 29 time(s) in 24 post(s)
sorry didn't see that you asked for south of the wisconsin

looking at the rainfall totals map it looks like they got piss pounded

https://www.iweathernet....map-24-hours-to-72-hours

i fished grant county last week and both times the water was well stained. don't know that area enough to know how the streams handle rain. my guess is they're chocolate milk
thanks 1 user thanked big_river_bum for this useful post.
Smis on 7/1/2019(UTC)
Gurth  
#822 Posted : Monday, July 1, 2019 2:19:16 PM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

Was thanked: 133 time(s) in 105 post(s)
I'm usually optimistic about finding water, but I wouldn't bother tomorrow - at least out west.

Grant
“Harvest eaters... release trophies.” -Gurth
Private correspondence at: jkschind "at" tds.net
thanks 1 user thanked Gurth for this useful post.
Smis on 7/1/2019(UTC)
Smis  
#823 Posted : Monday, July 1, 2019 2:27:00 PM(UTC)
Smis

United States

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Thanks everyone,

I was looking for the smallest sliver of hope, but it’s not worth driving 7 hours round trip for blown out creeks. I might be able to sneak up Friday but otherwise I’m SOL until the end of August. Cryn
William Schlafer  
#824 Posted : Monday, July 1, 2019 2:40:55 PM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 162 time(s) in 127 post(s)
I went to bed optimistic about getting out today. All it had to do is not rain again overnight and there might be a chance on a couple streams I know of that clear quickly. Got up a 2:30AM and checked the radar and it was clear it wouldn't be worth the drive. The ground is already saturated so it won't take much to really muddy things up. The NWS has issued flash flood watches for much of the Driftless Area.

The forecast for the rest of the week isn't promising for drying things out any time soon. Timing is terrible as I have the week off.

UserPostedImage

I guess I'll just have to stay in and watch more of Ron's YouTube videos. ThumpUp

-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
s.t.fanatic  
#825 Posted : Monday, July 1, 2019 6:37:29 PM(UTC)
s.t.fanatic

Was thanked: 16 time(s) in 16 post(s)
Originally Posted by: William Schlafer Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Smis Go to Quoted Post

How long does it take creeks to bounce back after accidents like this?

I grew up on Willow Creek (Richland County WI) which suffered a major fish kill about a decade ago. An irresponsible operator spread tons of liquid manure onto a field right before a major rainstorm. The runoff killed off most of the resident fish population for miles downstream. After restocking efforts there were catch able Trout to be had several seasons later. But in many ways the stream is just now finally getting back to what it was with reproducing populations of Trout.

Willow isn't the most healthy creek out there, with lots of soil erosion, suspended sentiments and lower oxygen levels in it's lower portions. A healthier stream with better clean water sources could bounce back quicker. A good one to watch is Otter Creek (in Crawford county) which suffered a fish kill due to manure runoff earlier this year.

-Bill

S.B. W.W. river bounced back within 2-3 years without any stocking
NBrevitz  
#826 Posted : Monday, July 1, 2019 7:22:04 PM(UTC)
NBrevitz

Man

Was thanked: 59 time(s) in 49 post(s)
I went to bed optimistic about getting out today. All it had to do is not rain again overnight and there might be a chance on a couple streams I know of that clear quickly. Got up a 2:30AM and checked the radar and it was clear it wouldn't be worth the drive. The ground is already saturated so it won't take much to really muddy things up. The NWS has issued flash flood watches for much of the Driftless Area.

The forecast for the rest of the week isn't promising for drying things out any time soon. Timing is terrible as I have the week off.

UserPostedImage

I guess I'll just have to stay in and watch more of Ron's YouTube videos. ThumpUp

-Bill

Drive up to Canada on Friday and I’ll throw you some spots😂
Seriously though, NE WI is within driving distance and there’s good water there.
"I fish because I love to: Because only in the woods can I find solitude without loneliness."
William Schlafer  
#827 Posted : Tuesday, July 2, 2019 7:37:54 PM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 162 time(s) in 127 post(s)
I think I'll give it a try tomorrow. I'm going bonkers sitting at home watching the radar. If the streams aren't fishable, I'll just make it a scouting trip, with multiple stops at brew pubs along the way.

ThumpUp

-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
weiliwen  
#828 Posted : Tuesday, July 2, 2019 8:03:24 PM(UTC)
weiliwen

Man
United States
Location: Madison, Wisconsin during the week and Lincolnshire, Illinois on weekends.

Was thanked: 42 time(s) in 36 post(s)
It's just so friggin' hot and humid today. Otherwise I'd go out tonight. Instead, I will stay in and aspire to tie as many pink squirrels as you did, Bill. I saved that picture of your fly box full of them and posted it on the wall next to my fly tying station to guilt myself into getting to it.
Bob Williams, "Weiliwen"
Smis  
#829 Posted : Wednesday, July 3, 2019 12:24:05 AM(UTC)
Smis

United States

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
I think I'll give it a try tomorrow. I'm going bonkers sitting at home watching the radar. If the streams aren't fishable, I'll just make it a scouting trip, with multiple stops at brew pubs along the way.

ThumpUp

-Bill

With some direction from Gurth I found fishable water in Iowa County. The creek I fished was carrying heavy sedimentation that had about 12-24” of visibility in the morning. The water cleared up throughout the day though and by the end of the day I would say there was a moderate stain. You could pretty much make up the bottom with the exception of deeper holes. I didn’t exactly put on a clinic but I caught fish throughout the day.

The creek I was on had steep banks and tall grass so that kept me in the water which was fine by me because it kept me cool in the heat. I didn’t even mind that I accidentally dunked my waders 3 or 4 times.

Bugs weren’t bad either. They were around for most of the day and they did seem to get worse as the day went on but they were tolerable. I’ve definitely experienced much worse. With my buff on the were a mild nuisance.
thanks 1 user thanked Smis for this useful post.
Gurth on 7/3/2019(UTC)
billybigbilly  
#830 Posted : Wednesday, July 3, 2019 3:04:58 AM(UTC)
billybigbilly

Man

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 11 post(s)
I'm going to try to get out tomorrow, does anyone know how the streams are around the St. Croix river?