Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Hoggies  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, June 26, 2019 5:32:48 PM(UTC)
Hoggies

Man
United States

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 13 post(s)
Y'all know how it goes... You search something on Amazon and bunch of the same thing (but CHEAPER) shows up in the results. The description is algorithm-friendly word salad. It has high review scores... but the reviews are essentially worthless in terms of information about how the product performs. In the face of common sense, you order it anyways. Since, as a forum goon with a low triple digit post count, I'm marginally more credible than some guy giving a five star review that says "great love it havent fished with it yet", here are some short reviews (feel free to add your own):

Kastking - I bought a 5 pack of the Rubicon 9' 0x leaders for like $7 because sometimes a polyleader isn't the right leader. They're pretty functional (although I've been taking about 18-24" off the tip right away)... I haven't really had any issues with memory / curling in a couple days of fishing with them. However, one of them had a really short tag end on the perfection loop, which caused it to pop out after fishing it a while. Fortunately, my highly marginal skills and the non-existent bite that day prevented the defect from causing me to lose a fish, and I re-tied a better loop on it. Final ruling: DEECE, due to low cost and decent performance.

Crazy Shark: I ordered a magnetic net release from these guys for $6. It came in a box with a picture of pliers on it and included a coil lanyard (very chintzy, I hung onto it with the idea in my head that I'd repurpose it, but I can't find a piece of gear small enough to trust it with), a caribiner (lost it), and some split rings (which were too small to go around my net hoop). The magnet sticks pretty well but getting it to snap on behind my back is kind of a b. Overall I'd say the e-commerce gods hit me with a BURN on that one. I'm not going to link it, lest others get burnt.

Aventik: for father's day, my wife said "we were too busy to go buy you a gift during the week, so just order something on your Amazon list instead." So order I did. I went with the "WindCutter Line Switch Single Hand Casting Spey Loading Zoom Welded Loop-WF6F (New)" for my 6 weight because description aside, the taper diagram looked like RIO Big Nasty or SA Titan, I mostly fish streamers, and for 18% of the MSRP of those lines, it didn't appear to be of 82% lower quality. I spooled it up the other day, and the spool is one of those two-piece deals that comes apart if you twist it, which helped in the process of unrolling it so I could do a double loopty to attach it to my backing. Once I was done with that, I tied on some yarn and casted around the yard a bit to feel it out. It's definitely full weight heavy and I was able to overhand cast the whole head (the front half is light green, the back half is gray, and the running line is chartreuse) and shoot another 15' of running line. It was also pretty breezy out and it didn't seem to get thrown off too badly in the wind. Pending results from getting it in the water, I'm pretty sure this is a SCORE. I also ordered a reel for my backup/loaner rod from the same company, but it's on the slow boat from China so I don't have anything to say about it right now.

Sponsor
William Schlafer  
#2 Posted : Thursday, June 27, 2019 1:29:40 AM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 152 time(s) in 120 post(s)
I've given up trying to get good deals on Amazon for fishing staples. Especially leaders. I now buy them from my local fly shop at full price. The off brand crap you get online just isn't worth it.

With tippet and tippet rings, a good quality leader will last for many outings.

You only pay for quality once.

-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
Hoggies  
#3 Posted : Friday, June 28, 2019 4:00:51 AM(UTC)
Hoggies

Man
United States

In general I agree (all my ≤3x are name brand... I give myself enough to deal with when I'm fishing dries without my gear going haywire), but those cheapies worked out ok for something to screw around with and have some mulligans built in. I had a couple cabela's ones (post Bass pro buyout) and I'd say that the kastking ones are pretty similar if that helps anyone for a frame of reference.

I also refuse to roll the dice on tippet rings. Rio only.
Hoggies  
#4 Posted : Sunday, July 7, 2019 8:56:30 PM(UTC)
Hoggies

Man
United States

That Aventik line is kinda finnicky. I took it out bass fishing Friday morning and it turned everything over pretty well (the biggest streamer I used was a #2 with a bunch of fur in it), but it either wouldn't shoot very well, or easily shot everything I had out and then still had enough force to bounce back. Probably bad form on my part and I'm not super used to casting in a boat.