Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

8 Pages«<5678>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Gurth  
#61 Posted : Tuesday, July 9, 2019 5:19:41 PM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

Was thanked: 167 time(s) in 130 post(s)
Last night's lake rests about an hour north of my place in Madison, but point taken.

Pretty crazy the opportunities I have within 90 minutes from a multi-species perspective and also with the diversity of environments that I can visit.

From bluegill to musky and brook trout to chinook.

Been fishing all my life but it's become THE passion over the past 5 years or so and I'm enjoying the learning curve on many species in many places that I never really targeted before or visited.

Can't believe I wasted all that time raising kids and coaching on weekends.

Flapper

Just wait till I get my boat… hopefully this fall.

“Harvest eaters... release trophies.” -Gurth
Private correspondence at: jkschind "at" tds.net
NBrevitz  
#62 Posted : Tuesday, July 9, 2019 7:44:04 PM(UTC)
NBrevitz

Man

Was thanked: 69 time(s) in 56 post(s)
Nice Pike for a metro area Gurth!
"I fish because I love to: Because only in the woods can I find solitude without loneliness."
weiliwen  
#63 Posted : Tuesday, July 9, 2019 8:01:01 PM(UTC)
weiliwen

Man
United States
Location: Madison, Wisconsin during the week and Lincolnshire, Illinois on weekends.

Was thanked: 45 time(s) in 39 post(s)
I'm also considering a boat - probably just a 14' aluminum boat with a 5HP outboard, not a fancy flecked fiberglass bassmaster with 200HP on the back. Back West, I had one that I used constantly, mostly trolling for trout, kokanee, or salmon in local rivers and lakes. I'm just too stout to be comfortable on a kayak.
Bob Williams, "Weiliwen"
Gurth  
#64 Posted : Tuesday, July 9, 2019 8:56:03 PM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

I’m not thinking of anything fancy but will go with a 16 footer.

Trolling motor, no middle bench, 15-25hp, and raised platforms.

Live well would be cool but doubt I’ll find all that within my budget.
Gurth  
#65 Posted : Tuesday, July 9, 2019 9:00:40 PM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

Originally Posted by: NBrevitz Go to Quoted Post
Nice Pike for a metro area Gurth!

Haha thanks but it wasn’t. Was up near Westfield. Came from a 45 acre lake though.

Pretty funny that I’ve been fishing waters where pike live for 40 years and that was the first 30+ I’ve caught. Goes to show that they really aren’t that common at that size in many areas.

I’m gonna concentrate on a 40 next year in Canada.

I don’t normally have goals like that but a big pike is something I’d like to tangle with.
Gurth  
#66 Posted : Monday, July 29, 2019 2:47:30 PM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

I don't know if it's a dog days of summer thing or if I'm just not that good at all this, but haven't had a big day on the warm water for a while now. I've caught a few nice fish here and there, but overall numbers and action have been low.

Went out yesterday and hit two small lakes and managed a small largie and a small gill on the first and a decent/average largie and a micro-pike on the second.

Stopped at a marginal trout stream briefly on the way home and got a little smallie (go figure).

Was excited and tried a few more bends to see if there were more or larger ones around, but that was the only smallie although I did have a PM on and if I really wanted to target them I'd have gone to the van to get an X-rap.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Anyway, it's to the point that my next outing may be a trouting. Either that or maybe I'll go dam hopping.

Need a fish count day soon.

#firstworldentitledproblems
William Schlafer  
#67 Posted : Monday, July 29, 2019 5:39:05 PM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 195 time(s) in 150 post(s)
Got to love the ambition of that Blue Gill!

-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
Gurth  
#68 Posted : Monday, July 29, 2019 5:45:29 PM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

For whatever reason, gills hit big poppers like that fairly often. I've caught several now and have had numerous hits that were clearly not bass and assume were gills.

I gotta think it's more of a defensive/territorial response than wanting to eat.

I watch them chase crank baits that are longer than them also.
Gurth  
#69 Posted : Tuesday, September 17, 2019 12:49:52 PM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

Could see that Monday evening was gonna be warm and sunny, so decided to do a kayak outing – maybe the last of the year as I don't really like being on the water in a yak unless it's warm and pleasant out.

That and this is prime trout time.

The resident pervert/flasher was out to greet me…

UserPostedImage

Laugh

Have never seen a heron do this and he stood like that for quite some time.

Fishing was a bit slow, but it was gorgeous out on the water with only the slightest breeze and the late summer sun – warm, but not oppressive.

This is a non-motorized 50 acre lake and there was only one other person out. Peaceful bliss.

Managed 4 small pike, 3 solid-if-not-spectacular-but-certainly-not-small largies and a rock bass right at the end.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Took me a long time to find the largies as I started with top water and fishing the drops and deep water weeds – all of which have yielded nice bass and pike in this lake – got nothing this day but the little pike.

Finally found some largies tucked into shallow water near shore right in the reeds. Was a tough retrieve, but a well placed plunk got the bites and then I reeled myself over to the fish that would hang up eventually.

Also took me a while to figure out the correct lure. Have lots of $10-$20 this and thats and I finally got my first three bass on an orange Mister Twister with a pink jig head – an old standby for largies and about the cheapest lure possible.

UserPostedImage

Also got one on a popper along some pads which was fun coz I love me some top water fishing. Only had one other strike on a popper though and it missed.

All of the bass action happened in a short window between 5:00 and 6:00 and then shut off.

The third largie in the reeds did this to my rod…

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

…snapped in two places when it swam under the yak… and then got away.

Pretty much a brand new rod (3rd time used) and now the 4th that I've broken this season – the other 3 were a different brand and had their tips break off.

This one was a light medium and clearly, I should have gotten a medium instead. Brand was 13 Fishing. I really liked the feel of this rod and it wasn't a cheapie. Couldn't believe when it shattered in my face.

The bass was good sized - best of the night - but not a super-giant toad or anything.

Still have never had a GX2 break and I'm so much harder on those and have even caught 20+ inchers on my 5' ULs. Probably makes a difference that the trout can't/don't swim under me.

That and GX2s are just really durable.

Thing is that I don't like the feel of the heavier GX2's so want a reasonably priced bass/walleye rod and want the extended butt section.

Whatever… still a very enjoyable float and if that's the last one of the year… a good way to end the open water season.

And I get to go rod shopping!!!

Flapper

thanks 1 user thanked Gurth for this useful post.
William Schlafer on 9/17/2019(UTC)
Pete  
#70 Posted : Tuesday, September 17, 2019 1:16:43 PM(UTC)
Pete

Was thanked: 21 time(s) in 18 post(s)
I know this is the wrong thread, but as it's more current, you're probably watching it more closely, so I'll ask here: How did your buddies do deer hunting over the weekend? It seemed awfully warm to be hauling a deer out of a ravine. A lot of seasons are open as of Saturday, but it's hard to get excited about hunting until it cools off some and more leaves hit the ground. I'll stick to fishing until that happens.