Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

96 Pages«<8384858687>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
billybigbilly  
#841 Posted : Monday, July 8, 2019 2:55:19 AM(UTC)
billybigbilly

Man

Was thanked: 14 time(s) in 12 post(s)
Originally Posted by: NBrevitz Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: billybigbilly Go to Quoted Post
I'm going to try to get out tomorrow, does anyone know how the streams are around the St. Croix river?

It’s a huge river with tons of tribs. What county?

Sorry for not responding I was on the stream, water in Washington county is great!
NBrevitz  
#842 Posted : Monday, July 8, 2019 4:02:57 AM(UTC)
NBrevitz

Man

Was thanked: 68 time(s) in 55 post(s)
I'm going to try to get out tomorrow, does anyone know how the streams are around the St. Croix river?

Sorry for not responding I was on the stream, water in Washington county is great!

I know damn well where you were haha
"I fish because I love to: Because only in the woods can I find solitude without loneliness."
billybigbilly  
#843 Posted : Tuesday, July 9, 2019 8:33:27 PM(UTC)
billybigbilly

Man

Was thanked: 14 time(s) in 12 post(s)

I know damn well where you were haha

I thought you would! I didn't have any troubles with the locals, caught my largest brown yet and had a good time! ThumpUp
cschub13  
#844 Posted : Thursday, July 11, 2019 7:03:52 PM(UTC)
cschub13

Man

How's it looking out there? Thinking of taking my dad out Saturday, but I'm also a little worried about the heat and water temps.
madguy30  
#845 Posted : Friday, July 12, 2019 1:40:46 AM(UTC)
madguy30

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 12 post(s)
Originally Posted by: cschub13 Go to Quoted Post
How's it looking out there? Thinking of taking my dad out Saturday, but I'm also a little worried about the heat and water temps.

Was in the Viroqua area yesterday. Some streams were chocolate milk, some had a bit of stain, and one was actually pretty normal for clarity. I don't monitor temps but all felt good and cold wet wading.

Whatever recent rain there was must have been pretty concentrated. All were within 10-20 miles of each other so it really changed quickly.

Camped in the Kickapoo Valley Reserve and was fun filtering water from one of the springs coming out of the bluff. Obviously filtering or treating the water is still important/needed but I'd bet that water was well filtered as it was. It was colder than the trout water.

Edited by user Friday, July 12, 2019 1:42:31 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

weiliwen  
#846 Posted : Friday, July 12, 2019 12:46:33 PM(UTC)
weiliwen

Man
United States
Location: Madison, Wisconsin during the week and Lincolnshire, Illinois on weekends.

Was thanked: 45 time(s) in 39 post(s)
When I was in the area for Trapfest, I was surprised at how the micro-climates in Vernon County can affect streams differently. Like you saw, MadGuy, you could nearly walk across some streams, they were so muddy, when others had 3 or 4 feet visibility.

I'm going up this weekend as well, hope to see some of you there. My vehicle has a DTA sticker on it, so you'll know (Mazda CX7, "black cherry").
Bob Williams, "Weiliwen"
Zugbug  
#847 Posted : Friday, July 12, 2019 2:17:04 PM(UTC)
Zugbug

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 3 post(s)
I initially tried Richland County yesterday. Conditions were very bad.....really muddy, maybe 6” of visibility at best. So, I traveled down to Grant County. Conditions were better, but the creek in question, which almost always runs clear, was significantly stained but fishable. There were cows in the upstream pasture, so they might have been in the creek.
William Schlafer  
#848 Posted : Friday, July 12, 2019 11:10:27 PM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 188 time(s) in 146 post(s)
Fished today and yesterday (7/11 & 7/12) in Monroe, Vernon and La Crosse counties. The smaller creeks were gin clear. A couple of the larger creeks were moderate to heavily stained. The West Fork looked great with a perfect stain. Not many fisherman out either day. Good flow and water temps on all streams. The sun and afternoon heat is the big limiting factor right now.

-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
weiliwen  
#849 Posted : Saturday, July 13, 2019 11:10:48 PM(UTC)
weiliwen

Man
United States
Location: Madison, Wisconsin during the week and Lincolnshire, Illinois on weekends.

Was thanked: 45 time(s) in 39 post(s)
I’m sitting at the Westby Rod and Gun Club waiting for their signature burger. I drove up from Madison and fished a stream I’d never fished before. I did very well on the Pink Squirrels I’d tied earlier in the week. I had a Real Big Trout on for a full minute before he spit the hook. Still a little bummed at that but what are ya gonna do? The place was amazing - it looked like it had been improved very recently with rock. There wasn’t even any grass around there.

A tale of two days. This morning I got up at first light and hit my favorite run on the N Fork Bad Axe. I’ve never been skunked there until today. Mat at Driftless Angler said the river has fished badly all year, but I did well there in May.

In spite of my better judgement I figured I should go out at 11AM. To another run I know (or knew) well on the S Fork Kickapoo. Boy that run has changed since the Jersey Valley Reservoir dam blew. Now it’s mostly shallow and wide. I did catch a couple Browns of no great size but saw schools of a hundred or more chubs of some sort and - I kid you not - a bluegill on a nest!

Too exhausted and par-broiled to continue I went to dinner. I may make it out around sunset.

Edited by user Saturday, July 13, 2019 11:19:39 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Spelling error

Bob Williams, "Weiliwen"
thanks 1 user thanked weiliwen for this useful post.
William Schlafer on 7/14/2019(UTC)
William Schlafer  
#850 Posted : Sunday, July 14, 2019 3:04:55 AM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 188 time(s) in 146 post(s)
I got back from my two-day trip last night, and today I was just too wiped out to do much of anything. Hot & humid weather can just suck the energy right out of you.

-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos