Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
William Schlafer  
#1 Posted : Saturday, July 13, 2019 12:03:04 AM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 162 time(s) in 127 post(s)
Fished Monroe, Vernon and La Crosse counties over the last two days. Six streams visited. All were very fishable, with clear water on the smaller streams to moderate and heavier stain on the larger water. Air temps were fairly comfortable through the morning hours, but started to get a bit warm by early afternoon. A light breeze helped cool things off nicely. There were a few gnats about, but they were tolerable with the breeze. I didn't see any significant bug hatch on any stream.

The bite was a bit off, with the Trout very reluctant to fully commit to eating the fly. Lots of refusals and last second misses. I tried everything in my fly boxes, streamers, bead head nymphs, dry flies, terrestrial patterns and hoppers. The only thing they would eat with any consistency was a size 16 purple Hippie Stomper. The miss-to-hook up rate was about 10:1. The sun is the big limiting factor and may account for their reluctance to eat. But I did manage to catch enough to satisfy me for this trip.

Some early AM Brown Trout.
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

One of my favorite places in the Driftless Area. I love fishing this tiny stream. Every rock, every possible bit of holding water has a Trout hiding nearby.
UserPostedImage

Amazing Brookies of all colors and patterns. No biggies, but real fighters and a ton of fun to catch.
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

Finished the day by managing to break my fly rod, yet again. I've lost track how many times this has happened to me. This one was all my fault. Made a classic bad move late in the day when I was hot and tired by jerking on a snag and letting the leader warp around a ferrule. The stress in two spots on the rod was enough to snap it like a piece of dry spaghetti. The good news is that I'm told Echo now sells the tip end section separately; you no longer have to send the entire rod back just to get a replacement.
UserPostedImage

This stream had good looking water but it was obvious that it would be a bear to walk it's banks is with those tall weeds and even taller banks. Having slogged through that stuff just a week ago, I decided that it just wasn't worth it and moved on to the next stream.
UserPostedImage

Went to another old favorite creek in a cow pasture. Easy walking, good fishing and the occasional shade tree to rest under. Can't beat that.
Once again, it was the Hippie Stomper to the rescue. Everything else was just ignored. I stopped in Viroqua at the Driftless Angler Fly Shop and stocked up the day before. Sure wish I could find some 0.5mm purple foam to tie up some of my own in the smaller sizes.
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

Spreading manure, old school Amish style.
UserPostedImage

Such a serene place. Took six Browns out of this fine run.
UserPostedImage

Ended the day the way every day should end, enjoying a nice cold beer!
UserPostedImage

The Hillsboro Brewing Company has a wonderful little brewpub, appropriately enough right in downtown Hillsboro, on the eastern edge of the DA. A perfect place to me to stop on my way back to Milwaukee. Great beer and food. Highly recommend it if you find yourself in the area.
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

My kinda place, with antique tractors parked in front.
UserPostedImage

-Bill

Edited by user Saturday, July 13, 2019 12:05:10 AM(UTC)  | Reason: damned typos!

“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
thanks 4 users thanked William Schlafer for this useful post.
rschmidt on 7/13/2019(UTC), EddieRivard on 7/13/2019(UTC), Gurth on 7/14/2019(UTC), mmalyuk on 7/14/2019(UTC)
Sponsor
Smis  
#2 Posted : Saturday, July 13, 2019 12:15:38 AM(UTC)
Smis

United States

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Love the looks of that small boulder strewn creek
thanks 1 user thanked Smis for this useful post.
William Schlafer on 7/13/2019(UTC)
shebs  
#3 Posted : Saturday, July 13, 2019 1:52:59 AM(UTC)
shebs

Was thanked: 53 time(s) in 43 post(s)
Originally Posted by: William Schlafer Go to Quoted Post

This stream had good looking water but it was obvious that it would be a bear to walk it's banks is with those tall weeds and even taller banks. Having slogged through that stuff just a week ago, I decided that it just wasn't worth it and moved on to the next stream.

That's why you should get in the water!

Seriously though, those are some nice bookies. Good work.
A bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work. ~Author Unknown
Modern Translation, with respect for the Notorious B.I.G. : "Fuck Money, Get Fishes"
thanks 1 user thanked shebs for this useful post.
William Schlafer on 7/13/2019(UTC)
William Schlafer  
#4 Posted : Saturday, July 13, 2019 2:50:52 AM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 162 time(s) in 127 post(s)
Originally Posted by: shebs Go to Quoted Post

That's why you should get in the water!

Seriously though, those are some nice bookies. Good work.

Oh god no, not that stream. That bend at the top of the photo is about five feet deep with at least a couple of feet of silt below that. And all I have are hip waders.

This creek has lots of treacherous spots and 20' high bank walls in places, along with the epic weeds. Last time I was there was about six weeks after the big flood that raged through the area last year. Everything was leveled flat (including 100 yards of the corn field next to the stream) which made it somewhat easier to get in there. But there was lots of debris, rock, downed fences and rubble fields to climb over and around. There are two pretty nice pools right at the access point where I took the photos, but it was just about impossible to bust out of there to explore further.

I could fish that Brookie stream for the rest of my life and die happy. There are an amazing number or Trout in there. And a few bigs hiding. Someday I might try mousing at night on that stream to see if I can coax them out.

Thanks!
-Bill

Edited by user Saturday, July 13, 2019 9:42:40 PM(UTC)  | Reason: damned typos!

“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
shebs  
#5 Posted : Saturday, July 13, 2019 4:56:13 AM(UTC)
shebs

Was thanked: 53 time(s) in 43 post(s)
That sounds like a stream Ron and I need to fish BigGrin
A bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work. ~Author Unknown
Modern Translation, with respect for the Notorious B.I.G. : "Fuck Money, Get Fishes"