Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
billybigbilly  
#1 Posted : Thursday, July 18, 2019 6:55:25 AM(UTC)
billybigbilly

Man

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Hey everyone, I have only managed to get out fishing three times this month and I want to share what I have done.
The first trip was on July 3rd, in a East Central MN stream, the land owners on this stream have been known to be bad on this stream and since there is no easements I would have to keep my feet wet, which I did for 5 hours my longest trip yet so I am pretty happy with that.
The trip started out nicely with this nice spotted brown,
UserPostedImage
I thought to myself if this was how today was going to be it would be great, sadly it wasn't and the first half of the trip I had no other takers, There was some good water but it seemed as if there was just not any trout. I moved into a wooded section and caught some more browns and the first brookie, the stream has all 3 trout species spawning naturally so I was hoping for a trifecta. I then came out into the last stretch and was greeted with a sign that said no trespassing, and that fishing was prohibited and it would be enforced by trail cams, and roving patrols, I had a good laugh at it and continued legally on my way, I did pose for a photo with a small brown in front of a trail cam at one point Cool
The fishing was much better in this stretch and the water temp was down from 65 to 58, which is a big difference when you are wet wading.
The stretch did produce the largest fish of the year for me
UserPostedImage
This 17 inch brown came from a shallow riffle right next to an undercut bank. It took me completely by surprise and I'm lucky I managed to wrestle him into the net. It is amazing how much of a difference from a 17 incher to a 14 incher in terms of weight and strength. I never got a good picture of the fish because it wriggle out of my hand. This fish matched the size of my biggest fish last year and I hope to beat it this year.
The property had a lot of low bridges and cameras to deter anglers but since I am young and flexible I managed to duck underneath all of them.
UserPostedImage
This one was the last one before the road and the hardest, there was a deep pool made by the dam, about 4 ft deep and then right after the dam was that low bridge, I had to hold my rod in between my teeth so I could get a good grip on the streambed and haul myself up. Over all it was a pretty good trip.

My second trip was at a south central stream in MN. It is a small brook trout stream and I caught quite a few with my first one being my favorite,
UserPostedImage
The worm marking on it's back and the blue dots really made it stand out from the others.
I lost the biggest brookie while timber crushing on the stream, I was standing on a log and fishing a pool when I hooked a nice 10-11 incher, as I brought him up, it shook the hook and spent the next 10 seconds avoiding my hands, flipping in and then back out of the water and then finally right back into the pool.
My third trip ( yesterday) was to a driftless stream I never fished before. The water was 52 degrees slightly stained and high, those storms really recharged those springs, next time I fish it I will wear my waders.
I ran into some problems with this stream, It was plenty deep and had some excellent fishy water but the fish just wouldn't cooperate, I sized up and down, even changed to a spoon and some other lures, color didn't seem to matter either,. I would see a lot of fish follow and then just turn around, I saw some real big ones do that and it is frustrating when it is getting dark, your feet are freezing but you have to keep trying to entice the big one. I did manage some nice browns and some brookies.
UserPostedImage
My best brookie of the year 10 inches with some nice shoulders.
UserPostedImage
Brookies rise up, I thought it was pretty funny that this small brook trout would hit a lure half it's size in brown trout colors, maybe the brookies are starting to compete? Blink
I didn't manage to finish the whole stretch before it got to dark so I decided to start hiking up stream when I came up to a small trib that headed in the direction of the road, I decided to take that as I was still far away from the crossing. I found out why the creek was so cold, the trip had water temp at 48 degrees, and when I came to the end of the trib it opened up into a nice size pool with multiple spots of boiling sand from springs,
UserPostedImage
sorry for the bad quality of the gopro, but you can see the clean sand where the spring bubbled up, there was atleast 5 spots with the three big main ones, the pool was around 6 feet deep I guess, and I am sure it would be refreshing to swim in on a hot day, but I was looking for a way out. Luckily the pool was right on the roadbank which had even more spring seeps coming out of it, so I managed to get out.
Overall It has been a good July, I wish the fish would be more cooperative but I guess that's fishing, I know this is a long post with lots of reading but thanks for reading and happy fishing!!
thanks 2 users thanked billybigbilly for this useful post.
Gurth on 7/18/2019(UTC), William Schlafer on 7/18/2019(UTC)
Sponsor
Gurth  
#2 Posted : Thursday, July 18, 2019 12:48:22 PM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

Was thanked: 133 time(s) in 105 post(s)
Good stuff.

I haven't been out since 6/1 and will need to get a July trout if I want to get at least one in each month again this year.

Not sure why that would be important, but I've done it 2 of the past 3 years.

I guess it's just something to do.
“Harvest eaters... release trophies.” -Gurth
Private correspondence at: jkschind "at" tds.net
thanks 1 user thanked Gurth for this useful post.
billybigbilly on 7/18/2019(UTC)
William Schlafer  
#3 Posted : Thursday, July 18, 2019 3:43:05 PM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 162 time(s) in 127 post(s)
Great report!

July can be a brutal month to fish. We're bracing for temps in the 90s in the Milwaukee area over the next couple of days. Although most of the southern DA is getting a good soaking right now - which is good for the streams and recharging the aquifers. If we get some moderate temperatures in the coming weeks it should set up for great summertime Trout fishing.

Aggressiveness is one of the best qualities of Brook Trout. They'll attack anything they can get in their mouth, and will often come back a second or third time if you miss them on the first strike.

-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
thanks 1 user thanked William Schlafer for this useful post.
billybigbilly on 7/18/2019(UTC)