Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Mark Dahlquist  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, July 24, 2019 1:36:38 AM(UTC)
Mark Dahlquist

Man

Was thanked: 29 time(s) in 21 post(s)
Just did a free download. Covers MN and WI pretty good. Even rates the streams based on a variety of factors. Shows public easements and areas to park. Shows class 1-3.

https://apps.apple.com/u...troutroutes/id1423989574
-Mark
Board Owner
UserPostedImage
thanks 2 users thanked Mark Dahlquist for this useful post.
William Schlafer on 7/24/2019(UTC), weiliwen on 7/24/2019(UTC)
Sponsor
weiliwen  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, July 24, 2019 12:35:02 PM(UTC)
weiliwen

Man
United States
Location: Madison, Wisconsin during the week and Lincolnshire, Illinois on weekends.

Was thanked: 45 time(s) in 39 post(s)
Thanks! I just downloaded it. Pretty funny, it says "Flyfishing Made Easy." Not unless the app includes a guy operating a field mower in front of me to knock down the grass!

I notice that their definition of Class 1, 2, and 3 are not the WIS DNR. The app's includes things like public accessibility and quality rating.

Edited by user Wednesday, July 24, 2019 12:36:51 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Bob Williams, "Weiliwen"
Mark Dahlquist  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, July 24, 2019 1:42:43 PM(UTC)
Mark Dahlquist

Man

Was thanked: 29 time(s) in 21 post(s)
The developer spent a lot of time on this and it’s free so I’m not complaining. Very easy to use. Now I just need better phone coverage. Did you notice the stream ratings? Some are legit like Rush and Kinni but some of my favs have a really low rating!
-Mark
Board Owner
UserPostedImage
Gurth  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, July 24, 2019 2:54:21 PM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

Was thanked: 167 time(s) in 130 post(s)
I have mixed feelings on these sorts of things.

I'm in the camp of social media hurting fishing – YOU KIDS GET OFF MY LAWN!!

It's become too easy to mine the internet for intel that you used to have to get by building a network of fishing friends and just plain old going out and having a look.

Once you find a spot that is excellent and that very few others know about, the last thing you want is it exposed on social media. I've heard of film makers in BC getting their vehicles vandalized coz the locals don't want their unknown local stream outed.

This site has been the best resource for trout that I've found and the network that I've developed has been incredibly helpful.

In turn, I try to help out others with (some) of what I know. Sorry… I keep a few secrets. Flapper

Luckily, like a lot of info out there, this app is wrong on a good chunk of the streams that I know well.

For instance, there's a chub stream that is rated as a 2 that people are going to go to and wonder why the bite is so slow lol.

Also… has BEC as a 1. Haha… maybe 10 years ago.

Never mind. Love it!

Will throw people off the scent.
“Harvest eaters... release trophies.” -Gurth
Private correspondence at: jkschind "at" tds.net
s.t.fanatic  
#5 Posted : Thursday, July 25, 2019 2:53:43 PM(UTC)
s.t.fanatic

Was thanked: 16 time(s) in 16 post(s)
It's misleading with it access. Snomobile trails, 4 wheeler trails, etc are for those said activities ONLY. They are not a public access for any other reason. It is the same for trout stream easements. They are for trout fishing only. No hunting, hiking, dog use, etc.

Other than that it's fine i guess. I still prefer the MNDNR maps.
mr89ia  
#6 Posted : Thursday, July 25, 2019 10:21:13 PM(UTC)
mr89ia

Downloading now, going to have to check it out!
zpope  
#7 Posted : Thursday, August 8, 2019 9:11:42 PM(UTC)
zpope

Man
United States

Appreciate the candid feedback. The app is supposed to be a helpful guide for those navigating unfamiliar waters, either because they are new to the sport or exploring new waters. The stream rating system is super tough and took a long time, but it will get better over time. Today I updated ~40 streams in the driftless after some additional research. Note that the main value of the app is really supposed to be public land, easements, road access, parking, trails, etc. Stream rating system will always be a rough guide not to replace on-the-ground exploring; your smaller secret streams will remain safe :)

And yes @s.t.fanatic, it took awhile but I do agree and have committed to making a large enhancement to public access mapping in general. Both public land and trail annotations need to be- and eventually will be- much more informative on access limitations.

-Zach
AKinMN  
#8 Posted : Thursday, September 26, 2019 12:38:46 AM(UTC)
AKinMN

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Cool. I didn’t realize that app covers northern Labrador. I’ve also always wondered how anglers are able to measure fish they don’t land.

thanks 1 user thanked AKinMN for this useful post.
shebs on 9/26/2019(UTC)
Trouts  
#9 Posted : Thursday, September 26, 2019 12:53:27 AM(UTC)
Trouts

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Originally Posted by: AKinMN Go to Quoted Post
Cool. I didn’t realize that app covers northern Labrador. I’ve also always wondered how anglers are able to measure fish they don’t land.

Lol. This troll just keeps coming back. Next bs story will be about a 35" brookie the CIA confiscated because he caught it in the Whitehouse koi pond. Of course there are no pictures because big foot took his camera as he walked "legally" halfway up the Whitehouse driveway.
“If the trout are lost, smash the state. More than any other fish, trout are dependent upon the ambience in which they are caught… At the first signs of deterioration, this otherwise vigorous fish just politely quits, as if to say, ‘If that’s how you want it…’”
thanks 1 user thanked Trouts for this useful post.
slayermikefishing on 10/16/2019(UTC)
WI-fly  
#10 Posted : Thursday, September 26, 2019 1:17:32 AM(UTC)
WI-fly

Man

Was thanked: 31 time(s) in 23 post(s)
Just downloaded it and it looks great. Very easy to use and understand.
=============
Curt Rees
Coulee Region Trout Unlimited
Catch fish, have a good time, protect the resource.
CRTU Facebook
CRTU Instagram