Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Gurth  
#1 Posted : Monday, September 2, 2019 3:16:45 PM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

Was thanked: 162 time(s) in 128 post(s)
Have been considering single hooks for some time now.

Need to eliminate or at least reduce those deep throat sets that happen with trebles on Panther Martins. As a “catch and release” trout fisherman, I’ve been wrestling more and more with the need to reduce my impact on the trout that I catch.

Rigged these up Saturday night and tried them out yesterday:

UserPostedImage

Was a smashing success and the sets resulted in mostly lip or mouth sets and only one was hooked deep in the mouth and the damage was minimal compared to what a treble typically does.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

I would imagine that I may have lost a fish or two but I don’t care anymore on 99% of the trout that I interact with.

I lose plenty on trebles too as trout are notorious short-strikers.

Would rather lose a fish than kill it anyway.

Obviously.

Pinching the barbs may be the next step if I deem that it may be helpful. Didn’t find the barbs to be an issue yesterday. Only having one hook to remove makes so much difference.

Also – didn’t hook up with any bigger fish yesterday so will see how that goes. Not that it should change anything as the no-kill philosophy won’t change.

Will leave trebles on the Raps as haven't had a trout take one of those in its mouth yet - all have been lip set.
“Harvest eaters... release trophies.” -Gurth
Private correspondence at: jkschind "at" tds.net
thanks 4 users thanked Gurth for this useful post.
William Schlafer on 9/2/2019(UTC), Smis on 9/2/2019(UTC), Twill89 on 9/2/2019(UTC), Life of Riley on 9/4/2019(UTC)
Sponsor
rschmidt  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, September 3, 2019 10:56:18 AM(UTC)
rschmidt

Was thanked: 62 time(s) in 51 post(s)
Keep track of mortality. There is no real good study to rely on, you can be a pioneer! All hooks are hazardous to fish!! Fish On!!! R
Life of Riley  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, September 4, 2019 5:52:02 AM(UTC)
Life of Riley

Korea, D.P.R.O.

Was thanked: 9 time(s) in 6 post(s)
I love this post. Were those owner hooks? I'd be interested in the exact model. I've been playing with some gammy siwash and stinger hooks (both singles) on spinners, and have set a few cranks with single hooks. I know it might take a while to whittle out the details on size and model. For now I have left barbs intact on spinners, but have pinched them down on stick baits with multiple trebles.
Gurth  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, September 4, 2019 2:04:19 PM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

Was thanked: 162 time(s) in 128 post(s)
These are what I bought…

Hooks

I grabbed 2#, 4# and 6# and they seem to be what I'll want for PMs.

Keep in mind that there are studies that find that mortality is higher when single hooks are used, but I'm not sure they are apples to apples to what I'm doing.

A single J-hook taken by a bluegill or even a trout when using live bait is more likely to be swallowed. I don't doubt that.

But a single hook on a PM? I don't think so as I'm not dead sticking a worm and even on the strike, the lure is moving away from the fish at a decent pace.

Like many studies or articles that I read… it just doesn't jive with my personal experience.

As far as I can tell, trout hit a spinner and turn away to go back to their lie. They often set themselves on a treble with this action – but not always.

My belief is that a single hook is far more likely to slide in the mouth and end up closer to the lips before engaging than a treble. On the other hand, a treble has 3 times the chance of catching one of the gill slots or somewhere else deep in the maw and then you have the possibility of a second or third hook also engaging.

In addition, the simple fact that you have a three-pronged, triangular shape will result in two of the prongs forcing the third against something that it can get stuck in.

I have nothing to base this on other than logic. I believe I'm right though.

Cup a PM in your hand with a treble and then with a single and give each a sharp tug. Which one would you rather do that with? Laugh

Anyway… we'll see how it goes.

As I said… losing trout or missing sets aren't concerns of mine.

NOT seeing that blood starting to seep from under the gills is my concern.

Doesn't happen all that often, but still way too much for my taste.

Other benefits…

Less chance of getting snagged and passes through in-stream flora easier.

No more messes with a treble in my net after a trout barrel rolls.

Keeps me more engaged in my retrieve as I will have to actually set more fish than with a treble.

“Harvest eaters... release trophies.” -Gurth
Private correspondence at: jkschind "at" tds.net
Pete  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, September 4, 2019 4:30:48 PM(UTC)
Pete

Was thanked: 21 time(s) in 18 post(s)
I used to fish spoons a lot along the lake front and messed around with replacing the trebles with single hooks on my KO Wobblers, Little Cleos, etc. Quality and quantity of hooking was at least as good, if not slightly better, with the single hooks. For what it's worth, it's supposed to be a common practice for the spoon chuckers in the Pacific Northwest.

One added advantage to the single hooks: when the Spring coho run is really on, I mean like a fish on most casts, as can occur in NW Indiana in late February and early March, it's much easier to remove a single hook from a fish and get back to casting than it is to remove two or three points from that fish. Often enough, as you're removing one tine, another can find something in which to stick in the fish's mouth. It was a lot of time that I'd rather not waste.