Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Life of Riley  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, September 4, 2019 6:07:01 AM(UTC)
Life of Riley

Korea, D.P.R.O.

Was thanked: 9 time(s) in 6 post(s)
I've got a cheap pair or forceps and also a dr. slick mitten clamps. Although obviously better than nothing, they leave much wanting when a trout is hooked solid. I'm wondering if anyone has a recommendation on something with more strength? I'm looking for something along the lines of a 5" needle nose pliers. It'd be nice to find some on a lanyard, otherwise I can just take my chances on dropping them in the creek eventually.
thanks 1 user thanked Life of Riley for this useful post.
William Schlafer on 9/4/2019(UTC)
Sponsor
William Schlafer  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, September 4, 2019 4:28:08 PM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 190 time(s) in 148 post(s)
I've been on the hunt for a pair of forceps or clamps with the features I want for some time now.

I've used Dr Slick clamps in the past. But the finger loops are a bit small for me, and the problems is worse wearing sun gloves or winter gloves in cold weather. Next problem is losing the dang things. It's happened a couple times when they became unclamped from my vest retention flap.

Attaching a zinger or similar device to prevent this adds to the annoyance to getting the fingers in the loop while dealing with a squirming Trout. It would help if there was an attachment point on the clamp outside of the loops. Like this:
UserPostedImage

I recently tried using a length of old fly line to secure the clamps to the vest. I found that this loose line dangling down gets fouled in my hands while casting, or snags on tall brush and weeds while walking.

-Bill

Edited by user Wednesday, September 4, 2019 5:28:46 PM(UTC)  | Reason: added photo

“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
William Schlafer  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, September 4, 2019 5:47:01 PM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 190 time(s) in 148 post(s)
I've also considered getting one of these fish hook extraction tools:

UserPostedImage

I'm told they work well. But you need different sizes for small dry flies to big streamers or foam bugs. And I wouldn't want to give up either forceps or a clamp for crimping shot on the line or fixing other problems that come up while fishing.

I recall seeing a hybrid tool that was part clamp and part extraction tool. But I haven't seen that available for awhile now.

-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
Twill89  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, September 4, 2019 10:53:53 PM(UTC)
Twill89

I've been using the Loon Outdoors Rogue Quickdraw forceps, and have been very happy with them.

They are much sturdier than your average forceps (not quite plier strength, but plenty for any trout application), they have large loops for bigger fingers, a scissor feature, and best of all, they have a wire gate carabiner style clip that I have actually found works really well. Definitely my favorite forceps I have used thus far.

They aren't super cheap, but I think they run around $25, which isn't terrible either.
AKinMN  
#5 Posted : Thursday, September 5, 2019 1:33:26 PM(UTC)
AKinMN

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Pinch barbs and you'll never have a need for one.
Hoggies  
#6 Posted : Sunday, September 8, 2019 2:37:09 AM(UTC)
Hoggies

Man
United States

Was thanked: 17 time(s) in 16 post(s)
Originally Posted by: William Schlafer Go to Quoted Post
I've been on the hunt for a pair of forceps or clamps with the features I want for some time now.

I've used Dr Slick clamps in the past. But the finger loops are a bit small for me, and the problems is worse wearing sun gloves or winter gloves in cold weather. Next problem is losing the dang things. It's happened a couple times when they became unclamped from my vest retention flap.

Attaching a zinger or similar device to prevent this adds to the annoyance to getting the fingers in the loop while dealing with a squirming Trout. It would help if there was an attachment point on the clamp outside of the loops. Like this:
UserPostedImage

I recently tried using a length of old fly line to secure the clamps to the vest. I found that this loose line dangling down gets fouled in my hands while casting, or snags on tall brush and weeds while walking.

-Bill

I use a zinger that's meant for a keycard/ID badge. The vinyl snap clasp isn't too intrusive in the loop.

I have a Rapala hemo/pliers that's a bit beefier than the standard gold/silver ones you see (although if I ever need to get another set, Rising and Umpqua have comparable models with better scissors and a double finger loop. Bob's tactical pliers and river grip scissor clamp are the model names. https://risingfish.net/p.../bobs-tactical-scissors/ https://www.umpqua.com/p...iver-grip-6-scs-clmp-str)
thanks 1 user thanked Hoggies for this useful post.
William Schlafer on 9/8/2019(UTC)