Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

61 Pages«<5354555657>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Gurth  
#541 Posted : Thursday, August 22, 2019 12:22:17 PM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

Was thanked: 194 time(s) in 149 post(s)
My summer of discontent fishing-wise continues…

Got out last night and decided to give a good shot to a stream that I've only dabbled on. Great looking water (clear and cold), but a tough wade as it gets deep in the corners, has that slippery packed clay, piled up weeds and silt piles – a lot like Mt. Vernon if you've been there.

I didn't know all of this or didn't recall until I got there. Went for it anyway.

Fish were not in the mood. Spinners and Raps were ignored and I only started to get strikes when I changed the retrieve on my X-Rap to a far more aggressive one. That got them going a bit.

Even then, all I managed were a half dozen small browns. I'm sure there were many more than that around and did have a decent looking 14-15 incher swipe and miss/refuse.

Was approaching a corner when I saw a large one breach the surface about 30 yards up. Saw its head, its back and then its tail. Easily 18-20 inches and I can still picture the impressive silhouette of the rudder.

Crept up to where I could cast to it and dropped my X-Rap above where I'd seen it and brought it back through and caught… an 11 incher. Haha.

Tried a few more casts, but not to be.

Finished the stretch and headed to another stream and realized I didn't have my jerk bait box. Remembered that I had set it down during an equipment adjustment on the previous stream and didn't remember picking it back up or having it after that point.

Spent the final 45 minutes of daylight back at the first stream looking for that box. I know within 10 yards in either direction where I set it down and still couldn't find it. The tall grass can make it impossible and I was down in it deep looking.

May go back this afternoon to search again or may not. Probably $70 worth of stuff in there. Not the end of the world if I don't get it back and it'd be an hour round trip and no guarantee that I'd find it.

Grrrr

Post needs a photo, so…

UserPostedImage

Hard to see in the pic, but this one was getting some red shading down its lateral line. Was a handsome little fish.
“Harvest eaters... release trophies.” -Gurth
Private correspondence at: jkschind "at" tds.net
William Schlafer  
#542 Posted : Thursday, August 22, 2019 2:10:38 PM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 207 time(s) in 159 post(s)
Ouch. A lost box sucks.

I had a similar experience a couple years ago. It was a minor miracle I found it. I mark all of mine now with my phone number, just in case.

Nice silver halo spots on that Brown.

-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
Gurth  
#543 Posted : Friday, August 23, 2019 12:47:47 AM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

Catch of the day!!

UserPostedImage

Went back down there with an old rake handle to poke around and lift matted grass.

Found it pretty quickly...

UserPostedImage

Didn't think I really cared but I was pretty jacked to get these back. There are a couple of Livetarget herring lures in there that are discontinued and spendy.

Didn't have time to fish but was gonna go back to where I saw the big one last night. A car was parked in that section though, so just came home.

Pretty good day on the stream.
William Schlafer  
#544 Posted : Friday, August 23, 2019 12:52:25 AM(UTC)
William Schlafer

ThumpUp ThumpUp

-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
Gurth  
#545 Posted : Sunday, September 1, 2019 2:16:57 AM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

Took some moxie to cast to the spot along that far bank...

UserPostedImage

Yikes!

That thing was about 3 feet above the middle of the stream.

Only time I left the water today as I gave them a wide birth. Bees. Wasps and hornets are kryptonite for me.

Imagine actually hooking a fish and then having it jump and hit the nest. Laugh

Hit the same stream that I went to on Wednesday and this time couldn’t find a brookie to complete the trifecta.

Nothing real big but got 6 or 7 chunky bows and maybe 15 browns. Lost 3 nice bows (and a bunch of browns) including a bow that looked about 18. It swam towards me and I never could get the upper hand.

This is the second season in a row that this stream has had a nice population of bows to the point that they are in the mix and not just an oddball catch here and there. Many of the ones I got were holdovers as they weren’t brooders and were too big to be from this season.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Cool to actually expect bows and they are quite fun to battle. They also tolerate faster water than the other two species so more of the stream ends up being occupied.

Will get out again tomorrow.

Oh yeah and got stung later in the day as I was walking through the high flowering weeds. Laugh

Edited by user Sunday, September 1, 2019 2:36:10 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked Gurth for this useful post.
William Schlafer on 9/1/2019(UTC)
rschmidt  
#546 Posted : Tuesday, September 3, 2019 11:05:10 AM(UTC)
rschmidt

Was thanked: 68 time(s) in 56 post(s)
A new record day for me this past weekend. After a slow start I managed to hit a 20". This pig absolutely smashed an 18 that was cast 20 feet beyond and dragged thru his lair! and...

UserPostedImage

About a half hour later, I hit my 3rd tiger of the season!!

UserPostedImage

Thank marks the first time ever, I caught a 20"+ and a tiger on the same section!!

Happy Fishing!!!

thanks 1 user thanked rschmidt for this useful post.
William Schlafer on 9/3/2019(UTC)
William Schlafer  
#547 Posted : Tuesday, September 3, 2019 3:33:37 PM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Great looking Tiger Ron!

Too bad those things can't reproduce. They're so cool.

-Bill
shebs  
#548 Posted : Wednesday, September 4, 2019 3:40:06 AM(UTC)
shebs

Was thanked: 71 time(s) in 57 post(s)
Yesterday (Monday, labor day) I fished the next section upstream from the one Ron fished on Saturday - nothing quite so notable, but did get a 13 and a 14 inch brookie. I am beginning to believe the story I hear from the old timers that most streams cycle every 4 or 5 years. A nearby stream that for the last 2-3 years produced many upper teens browns and 13-14 inch brookies seems this year to be maxed out at 16 and 10, respectively. This particular stream maxed out right about there 3 years ago when we last fished it regularly, and this year it's produced 6 or 7 20+ browns and some really nice brookies.

I will say, my favorite thing about trout fishing is that you learn something new every day.

Edited by user Wednesday, September 4, 2019 3:42:58 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

A bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work. ~Author Unknown
Modern Translation, with respect for the Notorious B.I.G. : "Fuck Money, Get Fishes"
thanks 1 user thanked shebs for this useful post.
rschmidt on 9/5/2019(UTC)
Gurth  
#549 Posted : Tuesday, September 10, 2019 12:59:34 PM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

Got out last night and avoided the rain/storm cells that were around.

Fish were less than interested, but did manage 4 species out of the 7 fish that I landed.

The ever popular RBBW Slam!

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Laugh

Water felt like a hot tub after where I was up north over the weekend and the walleye and brookie were caught within 50 yards of each other.

thanks 1 user thanked Gurth for this useful post.
William Schlafer on 9/10/2019(UTC)
briz  
#550 Posted : Tuesday, September 10, 2019 3:20:51 PM(UTC)
briz

Man

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Found some fish

fishing friends with no interest in fish
s
thanks 1 user thanked briz for this useful post.
William Schlafer on 9/10/2019(UTC)