Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Pete  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, September 18, 2019 5:55:48 PM(UTC)
Pete

Was thanked: 21 time(s) in 18 post(s)
I started fishing a local-it's practically walking distance from home-pond a little earlier this Summer. I've gotten a mix of bass, bluegills and crappies; nothing huge, all have been handled easily on my 5 weight.
It's a fun place to scratch the itch when I don't have time to travel farther afield.
But. I've been bitten off by something the last five times I've been there (most recent was last night). It's possible that one or two could be due to bad knots, trying to tie too fast in fading light. But all five can't be blamed on my knot tying. I caught decent fish on the same outings on the same knots and there were no nicks or fraying. I thought it could be a catfish fraying the knot or maybe a small pike. Things have been practically identical: a hard hit, no head shaking, a quick run away from me and then a limp line. After it happened last night, I looked into my fly box to pick out something else and a fish jumped right where I'd just been bitten off (I've had this happen often enough that a fish is trying to shake out the fly/lure left in its mouth). I didn't get a great look at it because I wasn't watching that exact spot when he jumped, but it wasn't anything huge. It did have the elongated body of the [i]Esox[i] family. I'll have to go back with some wire or a heavy mono tippet, just to confirm what's been giving me all this trouble. And it looks as if not everything in there is small. The place is full of frogs and when I walk the banks, a lot of fish will spook away from right under the overhanging grass out towards deeper water. Many are small, but judging from the wakes, there may be some bigger fish hanging close to the banks, waiting for a frog to make a mistake.
Sponsor
Mark Dahlquist  
#2 Posted : Friday, September 20, 2019 12:24:59 PM(UTC)
Mark Dahlquist

Man

Was thanked: 29 time(s) in 21 post(s)
Sounds like a pike. Use a stronger leader?
-Mark
Board Owner
UserPostedImage