Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

4 Pages<1234>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Hoggies  
#21 Posted : Thursday, October 4, 2018 5:25:44 PM(UTC)
Hoggies

Man
United States

Was thanked: 17 time(s) in 16 post(s)
Starting off slow for the season... My buddy bumped some Hungarian partridge scouting a deer spot on labor day weekend, so we're going to see if we can find them tomorrow.
Hoggies  
#22 Posted : Friday, September 27, 2019 4:32:45 PM(UTC)
Hoggies

Man
United States

^^that never panned out. Saw a big ol' buck while we were checking, though.

We got permission for a huge section of private CRP that's adjacent to one of our regular pheasant spots at the end of last season. The adjacent spot is one of the better ones around here, so that's an exciting development. I still haven't found a solid woodcock cover down here.

Right now I'm in the middle of packing to head to Chippewa and trim the aspens next week. I also have a side mission to stick a walleye or northern on the fly (which mainly depends on the level of the river up there... Last year I didn't even try because it had been raining for a week before we got up and continued to rain the whole time we were there).
Twill89  
#23 Posted : Monday, October 28, 2019 7:45:00 PM(UTC)
Twill89

Spent the weekend chasing grouse in the Black River Falls area. It was my first outing of the year (hard for me to pull myself away from trout fishing before the season closes).

A dozen flushes and a about half that many shots out of the double gun, but sadly no connections. All without any dogs.

Beautiful weather though! I’m hoping to get out more through November. Bird population is suppose to be up, and it seemed like plenty were around!
Life of Riley  
#24 Posted : Tuesday, October 29, 2019 6:10:59 AM(UTC)
Life of Riley

Korea, D.P.R.O.

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 7 post(s)
I was up in Danbury grouse hunting for the first time ever this last weekend. We flushed about 4 grouse but didn't connect with any. Did get around 16 woodcock over the weekend. It was fun! Watch out for deer ticks, they are really bad. Had one removed from my back and got the medicine because the red rash showed up and I don't have any interest in getting Lyme disease.
Hoggies  
#25 Posted : Friday, November 1, 2019 2:17:25 PM(UTC)
Hoggies

Man
United States

I blasted my whole kit with permetherin before I went up. This year is the first year I didn't have any on me.

I ended up with 3 grouse and 5 woodcock. The last night of the trip a cold front came in from the north (it was blowing about 35mph all night) and that probably brought quite a few more woodcock with it. The duck hunters hadn't been doing a lot of shooting in the mornings, but the last morning we were there sounded like D-Day.

The river was running high again, but I gave the whippy stick a shot. No action. We did limit on crappies deadsticking minnows in 38' of water, though. I also caught a 14" or so rock bass with decent shoulders on it, which was pretty exciting until I saw that it was a rock bass.

I might go chase some pheasants in Olmsted county this weekend. Just about everything around the spots I hunt should be picked by now.
Gurth  
#26 Posted : Friday, November 1, 2019 2:45:44 PM(UTC)
Gurth

Man

Was thanked: 170 time(s) in 132 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Hoggies Go to Quoted Post
I also caught a 14" or so rock bass with decent shoulders on it, which was pretty exciting until I saw that it was a rock bass.

That's a freak rock bass from my experience and I would have been happy to get it and a photo would have shown up for sure.

Laugh

I honestly didn't know that could get that big. I've only ever caught the bluegill sized ones.

My dad (79yo) is from that generation of fishermen that takes home and eats pretty much whatever he catches and we got a couple rockies a few years ago and had them with some crappies and walleye that we also got.

Rock bass... really not all that good to eat. Blink
“Harvest eaters... release trophies.” -Gurth
Private correspondence at: jkschind "at" tds.net
Pete  
#27 Posted : Friday, November 1, 2019 7:58:35 PM(UTC)
Pete

Was thanked: 21 time(s) in 18 post(s)
I turkey hunted earlier in the week not far south of Green Bay. My partner and I each got one from the same flock late on Wednesday. The next day we tried scattering a couple of flocks that we found, but didn't have any success calling them back. The weather had really changed overnight: about 4 inches of snow on the ground and a strong wind out of the north. I was surprised when my partner flushed a woodcock while walking the edge of an ag field. Smart woodcocks should be in Arkansas by now, ahead of that kind of weather. But any of them who wanted to migrate under those conditions need only get in the air and they'd cover a lot of ground in a short time: just ride the north wind; they'd barely have to move their wings.

I did bring Spey rods, in the hope of fishing some of the bigger tribs in Manitowoc and Sheboygan County. But I didn't even try in that wind. It will have to wait for a calmer day, maybe on the Milwaukee next week.

The rut appears to be well under way, at least in that part of the state. Lots of bucks showing themselves during the day, chasing the does around.
Hoggies  
#28 Posted : Tuesday, November 5, 2019 3:24:04 AM(UTC)
Hoggies

Man
United States

I went after some pheasants with my FIL and his GWP this afternoon. Things started out slow and then got wild quickly.

The first spot produced one bird (the dog bumped it out of an island of trees in a picked bean field and my FIL dropped it at 50 yards with a single hail-mary shot) before we spent another hour slogging through a huge cattail slough. I had a decent flush in there where I managed to whiff both barrels on a left to right crossing shot.

Then, we went to a second spot that's the end of a long (like a mile long) finger with standing corn around the end, with the idea that we'd hunt the front part of the cover then work towards the back and end up in the honey hole shortly before sunset, then walk back in the dark.

Right out of the truck, we had a good point and the dog worked a couple birds about 50 yards through some switchgrass before I flushed them. Hens. We kept moving. No more action out front. Onto the finger.

About halfway down the finger, the dog went on point and held at about 75 yards. We caught up and I went in and kicked a rooster up. I missed my first shot but connected with the second. I reloaded and took about 2 steps and another rooster got up. That one was more of a crossing shot from right to left, which I missed, but my FIL shot it. Then a third rooster got up, FIL missed it, and I hit it with my second barrel. Teamwork makes the dream work, I guess. The birds all got up within about thirty seconds of each other, and the dog spent about 20 minutes finding the birds.

UserPostedImage

A full bag at magic hour.

UserPostedImage

Obligatory tailgate shot.
thanks 1 user thanked Hoggies for this useful post.
Life of Riley on 11/7/2019(UTC)
weiliwen  
#29 Posted : Tuesday, November 5, 2019 1:02:03 PM(UTC)
weiliwen

Man
United States
Location: Madison, Wisconsin during the week and Lincolnshire, Illinois on weekends.

Was thanked: 46 time(s) in 40 post(s)
Great work! One of my dreams is to go upland game hunting, but it hasn't happened yet.
Bob Williams, "Weiliwen"
Hoggies  
#30 Posted : Tuesday, November 5, 2019 4:23:40 PM(UTC)
Hoggies

Man
United States

Find a bird Hunter who wants to fly fish, catch the right weather in Iowa, and you can do a cast & blast.