Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

3 Pages<123
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
NBrevitz  
#21 Posted : Saturday, October 5, 2019 12:58:33 AM(UTC)
NBrevitz

Man

Was thanked: 69 time(s) in 56 post(s)
Not saying you need the boot, far from it, but don’t call someone out when you don’t even know the regs. There are Trout north of Dakota County, contrary to popular opinion.
"I fish because I love to: Because only in the woods can I find solitude without loneliness."
weiliwen  
#22 Posted : Saturday, October 5, 2019 4:17:48 PM(UTC)
weiliwen

Man
United States
Location: Madison, Wisconsin during the week and Lincolnshire, Illinois on weekends.

Was thanked: 45 time(s) in 39 post(s)
Back on topic, I'll be up in the Wisconsin Driftless next, the last, weekend of season in the state. I'm hauling up the trouble and strife, so a fair amount of time will necessarily be spent on farmers' markets and autumn foliage, but I'll still wet a line.

In an act of total commitment, I'm leaving my go-to rods at home and am taking a 9' 6-weight to toss some big articulated streamers (think Circus Peanut). Any advice on current colors popular with the local trout would be appreciated. Otherwise, I'm starting with whitish.

Edited by user Saturday, October 5, 2019 4:18:31 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Bob Williams, "Weiliwen"
NBrevitz  
#23 Posted : Sunday, October 6, 2019 1:55:12 AM(UTC)
NBrevitz

Man

Was thanked: 69 time(s) in 56 post(s)
Originally Posted by: weiliwen Go to Quoted Post
Back on topic, I'll be up in the Wisconsin Driftless next, the last, weekend of season in the state. I'm hauling up the trouble and strife, so a fair amount of time will necessarily be spent on farmers' markets and autumn foliage, but I'll still wet a line.

In an act of total commitment, I'm leaving my go-to rods at home and am taking a 9' 6-weight to toss some big articulated streamers (think Circus Peanut). Any advice on current colors popular with the local trout would be appreciated. Otherwise, I'm starting with whitish.

My streamer buddy likes huge black buggers when the water is up and stained like it is now👍
"I fish because I love to: Because only in the woods can I find solitude without loneliness."
thanks 1 user thanked NBrevitz for this useful post.
weiliwen on 10/6/2019(UTC)
William Schlafer  
#24 Posted : Sunday, October 6, 2019 2:58:05 PM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 193 time(s) in 149 post(s)
Yes. Bigger dark colored streamers when the water is dirty, lighter colors when it's clearer. Same thing for smaller bead head nymphs and scuds. A streamer jerked and twitched like a baitfish in distress will usually draw the attention of bigger Trout.

-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
Pete  
#25 Posted : Tuesday, October 8, 2019 1:14:34 AM(UTC)
Pete

Was thanked: 21 time(s) in 18 post(s)
I wish I could remember where I read it-maybe In Fisherman because it was discussing lure selection-and the author suggested imitating the colors of a spawning trout, probably because a male getting ready to spawn is battling with other males. I’ve had some success using yellow streamers on browns in late September. Hoping to get after some brook trout this weekend, so will tie a few streamers with some orange in them before then. The male brookies will either attack it or flee downstream to the next county.
WI-fly  
#26 Posted : Tuesday, October 8, 2019 12:20:36 PM(UTC)
WI-fly

Man

Was thanked: 31 time(s) in 23 post(s)
Originally Posted by: weiliwen Go to Quoted Post

I caught Driftless (La Crosse and Vernon Cos) fish yesterday on a dark streamer with orange accents. Water had decent color to it. As was said above, have some dark and some light. I don't think precise color shade has ever made a difference to me. The typical streamer that I tie is based on Frick's Fix -- jig hook, barbell eyes, maribou tail with a little sparkle, chenille or dubbed body, and then I tie in colored legs at the neck but snip them off at the point of the hook. Easy fly to tie and it just plain works.

Don't leave your terrestrials at home. Hoppers, hippie stompers, Chernobyls, beetles, ants all continue to catch fish on aggressive takes.
=============
Curt Rees
Coulee Region Trout Unlimited
Catch fish, have a good time, protect the resource.
CRTU Facebook
CRTU Instagram
weiliwen  
#27 Posted : Tuesday, October 8, 2019 12:38:35 PM(UTC)
weiliwen

Man
United States
Location: Madison, Wisconsin during the week and Lincolnshire, Illinois on weekends.

Was thanked: 45 time(s) in 39 post(s)
Thanks, Nick, Bill, Pete, and Curt! I have just the run to toss these through.
Bob Williams, "Weiliwen"
thanks 1 user thanked weiliwen for this useful post.
kiss on 10/9/2019(UTC)
WI-fly  
#28 Posted : Tuesday, October 8, 2019 12:40:43 PM(UTC)
WI-fly

Man

Was thanked: 31 time(s) in 23 post(s)
Here are the streamers I tied up yesterday. Not fancy, but they work well.

UserPostedImageUntitled by Curt Rees, on Flickr
=============
Curt Rees
Coulee Region Trout Unlimited
Catch fish, have a good time, protect the resource.
CRTU Facebook
CRTU Instagram