Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Life of Riley  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, November 26, 2019 9:15:16 AM(UTC)
Life of Riley

Korea, D.P.R.O.

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 7 post(s)
I've been in love with fishing my entire life. Started out with lake fishing, and soon was into bass fishing mainly. Eventually I got into fall walleye fishing on pool 2 of the mississippi river, and after bumping into a fellow anger at the boat ramp several times, we planed to go fishing together. This trip turned into a lifelong friendship of chasing walleye and smallmouths on rivers throughout MN. My buddy grew up in Minneapolis but went to college in duluth and always told me stories of steelhead and trout fishing on the north shore. He was the one who first took me trout fishing, and showed me the wonderful world of catching gorgeous brown trout in MN and later beautiful brook trout in WI. If you're reading this you know the bond that can only be made while thigh deep in a trout creek smiling and laughing while catching and releasing trophy trout from a serene stream away from all the troubles of modern day life. I owe so much to my buddy for introducing me to a lifetime of chasing beautiful fish deep into remote streams far from the trappings of modern life. I'm writing this because my dear friend was suddenly stricken two months ago with a mysterious illness. Since then he was out of the hospital and then back in. Prognosis from the doctors has not been good. Without telling too much of his private info, he might not ever wake from his coma. It has been very difficult for me, realizing that it looks like I'll never be able to share the trout stream with my buddy again, let alone get the chance to talk to him or say goodbye. I fished many times alone after he introduced me to stream trout fishing, and found new spots and caught big browns. I would always call him and tell him about my trips, bounce ideas off him, etc. I brought him to one small stream I found and he caught a 23" hen that day, and we both had a great time. He always watched Ron's videos and really enjoyed them. He said, "I'll give Ron credit, he is always trying new water." Anyways, the point in me posting this, is to let you know to be thankful for having a good fishing buddy. Cherish those times you have spent and will spend with them. Sometimes those closest to us are ripped away when we least expect it.
thanks 4 users thanked Life of Riley for this useful post.
Gurth on 11/26/2019(UTC), Smis on 11/26/2019(UTC), billybigbilly on 11/26/2019(UTC), shebs on 11/27/2019(UTC)
Sponsor
rschmidt  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, November 26, 2019 12:22:06 PM(UTC)
rschmidt

Was thanked: 64 time(s) in 53 post(s)
All we are given is today. Peace to your friend, his family, his friends and you. R
thanks 1 user thanked rschmidt for this useful post.
stan b on 11/26/2019(UTC)
weiliwen  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, November 26, 2019 1:06:46 PM(UTC)
weiliwen

Man
United States
Location: Madison, Wisconsin during the week and Lincolnshire, Illinois on weekends.

Was thanked: 46 time(s) in 40 post(s)
L.O.R., I hope your fishing buddy does recover. Patients do beat out prognoses, and here's hoping your friend does, too.
Bob Williams, "Weiliwen"
trapper  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, November 26, 2019 1:32:08 PM(UTC)
trapper

Was thanked: 45 time(s) in 39 post(s)
Cherish the moments. The only witness to my largest stream Trout passed away 13 years ago. Avalanche and the WFSC has gone down hill since.
I relish fishing with new guys and gals. Reach out to the 20's something fishers, the passion and thill in their eyes keep me young.
Hope your friend recovers better than ever.

I recently had major surgery and hope I recover.
Get Reel
thanks 1 user thanked trapper for this useful post.
stan b on 11/26/2019(UTC)
stan b  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, November 26, 2019 4:48:36 PM(UTC)
stan b

Man

Was thanked: 23 time(s) in 17 post(s)
I'm truly sorry for your loss.
Friends, especially really good friends, are hard to come by.

"A young man has his dreams, an old man has his memories."

Cherish what you had.
Cherish every moment.

To paraphrase Aldo Leopold;
"What was BIG was the memories!"

Stan b

"So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold
thanks 1 user thanked stan b for this useful post.
ccb1 on 11/26/2019(UTC)
Pete  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, November 27, 2019 12:04:53 AM(UTC)
Pete

Was thanked: 21 time(s) in 18 post(s)
I’m so sorry to hear about your friend. It makes all other problems seem pretty minor in comparison.

Cherish the memories both of you made streamside. Next Spring when you’re out and land a fish or notice something memorable, give thanks to your friend for getting you into the lifestyle.

Hoping for the best for both of you.