Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
weiliwen  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, January 14, 2020 5:59:50 PM(UTC)
weiliwen

Man
United States
Location: Madison, Wisconsin during the week and Lincolnshire, Illinois on weekends.

Was thanked: 54 time(s) in 46 post(s)
I see the Fly Fishing Film Tour 2020 will be coming by the Barrymore Theater here in Madison on March 5. Even though too many of the films seem to me to be either too hipster or too heartstring-tugging, I try to go every year, and will this year.

Fly Fishing Film Tour 2020

Anybody else from DTA going?
Bob Williams, "Weiliwen"
Sponsor
Colorado to MN  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, January 14, 2020 6:24:23 PM(UTC)
Colorado to MN

United States

Was thanked: 10 time(s) in 8 post(s)
While I'm sure the footage will be spectacular, it's just another example of what is wrong with fly fishing today. Hard pass.
Pete  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, January 14, 2020 6:50:24 PM(UTC)
Pete

Was thanked: 25 time(s) in 22 post(s)
Milwaukee and Chicago are having showings that same week. I too could do without the hipster aspect of it, but some of the scenery and fish are amazing. I'll likely attend the Thalia Hall in the Pilsen neighborhood of Chicago show.
weiliwen  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, January 14, 2020 7:38:29 PM(UTC)
weiliwen

Man
United States
Location: Madison, Wisconsin during the week and Lincolnshire, Illinois on weekends.

I definitely understand your complaints, but since I live in Madison Monday through Thursday nights, and generally just go home and read until it's time to go to bed, this seems like a decent way to, as the Green Day song says,"peel me off this velcro seat and get me moving."

I live north of Chicago Friday through Sundays, and would normally go then, but I have other things to keep me busy then.
Bob Williams, "Weiliwen"
EddieRivard  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, January 14, 2020 8:01:14 PM(UTC)
EddieRivard

Was thanked: 29 time(s) in 20 post(s)
I like how every one of the little films has the token, "Putting on the waders and boots" scene. How about you just stab my eyes out with a scratch awl. That being said I enjoy going because it about as close as I get to the local fly fishing babe population at any given time of the year. ThumpUp
weiliwen  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, January 14, 2020 8:45:25 PM(UTC)
weiliwen

Man
United States

I do admit that I rarely see folks in those films that resemble myself or the folks I fish with They might sell hundreds, rather than dozens, of tickets if they did pay attention to the "silent majority."
Bob Williams, "Weiliwen"
madguy30  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, January 15, 2020 11:17:50 PM(UTC)
madguy30

Was thanked: 14 time(s) in 13 post(s)
I went a few years ago and there were two films that I liked--one about a couple of life long friends that go up to Alaska and have this really true bond. Their camp had a funny tournament where you could only fish with one fly, and it had to be made from materials from camp. That's closer to what fly fishing is for me.

The other one was just about people going up to a really remote area of Canada and fishing some fun water.

The rest were fratty 'the tug is the drug' types and I think I left early.
NBrevitz  
#8 Posted : Friday, January 17, 2020 1:50:54 AM(UTC)
NBrevitz

Man

Was thanked: 76 time(s) in 63 post(s)
I wish there was a market like this for spin-fishing videos. I’d love to get some awesome footage of my Canadian adventures for big Brookies, but I rarely fly fish, and there’s very little interest in what I do...

It sucks when you have a raging passion but you’re caught in between the two extremes of the sport that is Trout fishing.

I’ll probably go this year, if nothing else to see a bunch of friends I haven’t seen much of in a while. It’s a good networking event I suppose😂
"I fish because I love to: Because only in the woods can I find solitude without loneliness."
thanks 1 user thanked NBrevitz for this useful post.
stan b on 1/17/2020(UTC)
weiliwen  
#9 Posted : Friday, January 17, 2020 1:57:49 PM(UTC)
weiliwen

Man
United States

Myself, I'd love to see a spin-fishing trout movie. Maybe we need to make a Driftless Trout Anglers film, showing fly- and spin-fishers, starring all the folks who post here!
Bob Williams, "Weiliwen"
thanks 3 users thanked weiliwen for this useful post.
stan b on 1/17/2020(UTC), NBrevitz on 1/18/2020(UTC), Hoggies on 1/18/2020(UTC)
William Schlafer  
#10 Posted : Friday, January 17, 2020 10:52:18 PM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 203 time(s) in 157 post(s)
I've gone to these in the past, they're a good mid-winter distraction. But I'll pass this year. Most of those films usually turn up online at some point anyway.

I can highly recommend the Big Land short film by Chase and Aimee Bartee, which I think might be part of this years film tour. An awesome canoe trip though the most remote parts of Labrador chasing native Brook Trout.

-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos