Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

25 Pages«<232425
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
madguy30  
#241 Posted : Tuesday, January 7, 2020 10:24:25 PM(UTC)
madguy30

Was thanked: 14 time(s) in 13 post(s)
Originally Posted by: William Schlafer Go to Quoted Post
In many of Kelly Galloup's videos he preaches proper tension when applying materials to a hook, and using effective thread techniques when securing them. Applying half-hitches when tying off materials helps prevent them from coming loose before you tie on the next material. A good thread base is also helpful when tying patterns like the Woolly Bugger. Wrapping hackle forward with the thread (like a wire wrap) also helps secure it from coming loose. I often apply a little head cement (or superglue) to lead wrap to keep it from spinning on the hook or coming loose as other materials are applied.

Here's a short video from Kelly on tension control and setting the thread during a tie:

One thing I've learned from watching really skilled fly tiers is the control they have with their fingers when they place materials. There are some tricks to learn, but mostly I feel that control comes with practice and experience. This is something I've struggled with now for years. Especially when stacking deer hair.

Controlling the materials, placing them properly and applying the thread effectively are the most important traits of a good fly tier.

Good luck!
-Bill

Thanks for this!

The thing I generally enjoy about fly fishing is keeping the brain working with learning different things.
madguy30  
#242 Posted : Sunday, January 19, 2020 4:18:47 PM(UTC)
madguy30

Update....I think I got a 'fix' for my materials sliding down, or at least the beads anyway.

Just wrapping a nice bundle of thread just under the beadhead creates a big 'bump' that it can't get past so it's secured.

Likely something that everyone does to begin with and I'm behind on it but just in case anyone else was experiencing the same issues.
William Schlafer  
#243 Posted : Sunday, January 19, 2020 5:58:54 PM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 203 time(s) in 157 post(s)
If you use lead wire to add weight on a Bugger pattern, a neat trick is to wrap the wire around the hook and then add a drop of superglue towards the top of the wrap (nearest the beadhead). Then quickly push the wire wraps up to the bead and hold for a second or two. Then add thread wraps over the wire and the hook as usual. That will lock everything down nice and tight to the hook.

-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
madguy30  
#244 Posted : Sunday, January 19, 2020 6:42:08 PM(UTC)
madguy30

Yeah I haven't used wire for a long time (marabou usually soaks enough water up in most situations/current) but thought of putting maybe just a couple of wraps around just to secure it.

Now I just need it to be May/June so I can see if it works. :)

Although I might throw out a bugger here and there for trout just to mess around.