Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Life of Riley  
#1 Posted : Sunday, January 19, 2020 7:59:14 AM(UTC)
Life of Riley

Korea, D.P.R.O.

Was thanked: 16 time(s) in 9 post(s)
Can you bring a dog with trout fishing? I'm not sure if this is frowned upon going to fishing easements, I thought I might have read that in the MN trout book. I have a buddy who is a great lakes steelhead nut, and he's sent me plenty of pics before with his dog in them. Just for the record, this dog is super friendly and super obedient. I am a dog lover, but hate when people bring a dog that is out of control into a situation where bad things can happen.
Sponsor
AKinMN  
#2 Posted : Sunday, January 19, 2020 1:20:30 PM(UTC)
AKinMN

Was thanked: 9 time(s) in 7 post(s)
MN easement rules state you need land owner permission to bring your dog. WMAs and State Forests you can bring your dog. That said, over the years I’ve seen many dogs out on easement. I think as long as they are well behaved, not chasing cows and other anglers you’d be fine. Probably just easiest to ask. (I started bringing my dog fishing in MN last year).

I don’t believe WI has a dog rule.

rschmidt  
#3 Posted : Sunday, January 19, 2020 3:03:47 PM(UTC)
rschmidt

Was thanked: 68 time(s) in 56 post(s)
Rest in piece MoMo. Craziest dog with unlimited energy. Guaranteed to ruin your outing, by diving in every pool ahead of you. I'm not glad he's gone, but the fishing improved without him screwing it up. Hahaha. R
thanks 1 user thanked rschmidt for this useful post.
mmalyuk on 1/19/2020(UTC)
HookJaw  
#4 Posted : Sunday, January 19, 2020 3:28:21 PM(UTC)
HookJaw

Man
United States

Was thanked: 9 time(s) in 8 post(s)

I've asked the WI DNR about this before --
The email I got back said they were unaware of any existing laws about dogs & trout fishing easements, but they suggested calling the local warden for possible local restrictions.
I never did call my local warden -- 1 of my 2 dogs would be great to take out on an easement but she's scared shitless riding in my truck, so we're limited to the little section of creek that runs through my pasture.

...cruisin the 'Poo in my Gum Tree Canoe
madguy30  
#5 Posted : Sunday, January 19, 2020 4:23:06 PM(UTC)
madguy30

Was thanked: 14 time(s) in 13 post(s)
Some places have it posted that no dogs are allowed on the public fishing lands. Usually it seems to coincide with places that have cattle or go through farm land with other animals.

Occasionally a nearby farm's doggie will come down and pay a visit when I'm out and it's always fun to have some non-human company.
trapper  
#6 Posted : Sunday, January 19, 2020 9:15:33 PM(UTC)
trapper

Was thanked: 46 time(s) in 40 post(s)
I was blessed to have two Trout dogs and never had an issue. My Labs lived next door to cattle so that was not an issue. My new lab-Molly , stays at home or in the truck.
Get Reel
billfish3r  
#7 Posted : Friday, January 24, 2020 6:04:16 PM(UTC)
billfish3r

Man
United States

I always bring my dog Frodo on fishing trips. He's my fishing buddy and I just can't go fishing without him. I even bought him a granby splash dog life jacket for safety whenever we go out to sea to fish.

Edited by user Thursday, February 6, 2020 1:46:31 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified