Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages<12
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Life of Riley  
#11 Posted : Thursday, January 30, 2020 6:53:46 AM(UTC)
Life of Riley

Korea, D.P.R.O.

Was thanked: 20 time(s) in 10 post(s)
I have a sling pack and not a vest. I don't like a vest because then I can't see if I'm going over my waders. I have a magnet on my net and attach it to my shoulder strap. I will admit that I think this would be easier with a vest keeping the net centered in my back.
William Schlafer  
#12 Posted : Saturday, February 1, 2020 2:56:28 AM(UTC)
William Schlafer

Was thanked: 207 time(s) in 159 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Mark Dahlquist Go to Quoted Post

I'll second that!

I'm a big fan of this product. I've use Rose Creek Net Release clips for years and have never had one fail, or wear out. Most fishing shirts have a loop on the back below the neck that you can use to attach the clip. As long as your net is not too heavy or large, it works well. I also have a Rose Creek clip attached to a Carabiner that I hook onto my belt when I choose to ditch the vest.

I once saw a guy who had a web belt worn across his chest (like a bandolier) that he used to hold his fish pliers, tippet holder, assorted do-dads, and a net clip on the back for his net. Nice thing about this setup was that it was easy to remove and put back on.

-Bill
“You'll never look back on your life and wish you had spent more time in the office." -- Brian Trautman, Captain SV Delos
madguy30  
#13 Posted : Saturday, February 1, 2020 3:56:55 AM(UTC)
madguy30

Was thanked: 14 time(s) in 13 post(s)
Originally Posted by: William Schlafer Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Mark Dahlquist Go to Quoted Post

I'll second that!

I'm a big fan of this product. I've use Rose Creek Net Release clips for years and have never had one fail, or wear out. Most fishing shirts have a loop on the back below the neck that you can use to attach the clip. As long as your net is not too heavy or large, it works well. I also have a Rose Creek clip attached to a Carabiner that I hook onto my belt when I choose to ditch the vest.

I once saw a guy who had a web belt worn across his chest (like a bandolier) that he used to hold his fish pliers, tippet holder, assorted do-dads, and a net clip on the back for his net. Nice thing about this setup was that it was easy to remove and put back on.

-Bill

I actually just thought about the carabiner angle. Could just hook it on to a belt and use a loop for the net at the waist.

I'll see how it goes tomorrow (and maybe I'll get to use the net!).
madguy30  
#14 Posted : Saturday, February 1, 2020 11:38:26 PM(UTC)
madguy30

Was thanked: 14 time(s) in 13 post(s)
For anyone losing sleep wondering how my outing with the net went, a polychord 'sling' over my shoulder worked just fine for my uses. That might change. I didn't use it on a few fish but I can see the practicality of using one for a fish that won't stop for unhooking it.

Got caught on a few things but not too bad and I tend to wade more than fish from the bank.

Thanks for the replies again...some great ideas.
mmalyuk  
#15 Posted : Sunday, February 2, 2020 1:15:51 AM(UTC)
mmalyuk

Was thanked: 34 time(s) in 24 post(s)
Rose Creek net release for me too!
weiliwen  
#16 Posted : Sunday, February 2, 2020 2:36:43 PM(UTC)
weiliwen

Man
United States
Location: Madison, Wisconsin during the week and Lincolnshire, Illinois on weekends.

Was thanked: 54 time(s) in 46 post(s)
I looked at the Rose Creek Angling web site, but couldn't figure out what the method the net release uses to attach the two sides of the release together - is it Velcro?
Bob Williams, "Weiliwen"
Hoggies  
#17 Posted : Sunday, February 2, 2020 2:57:04 PM(UTC)
Hoggies

Man
United States

Was thanked: 22 time(s) in 21 post(s)
Originally Posted by: William Schlafer Go to Quoted Post

-Bill

Along those lines, Umpqua recently released a modular system that uses molle loops to attach all the components (pockets, bottle holder, patches, tool holders, net holster, tippet minder etc) to a wading belt or their packs, but it also opens up a ton of options outside of their products since it's a standardized attachment system for military stuff.
rschmidt  
#18 Posted : Monday, February 3, 2020 1:34:26 PM(UTC)
rschmidt

Was thanked: 68 time(s) in 56 post(s)
The stronger 12# SF magnet was a total improvement. My net remained fastened even when bush whacking! Too bed I only had to use 1x in 6 hours of fishing!! Melt was serious and the fish were not on where I was on Saturday. Sunday looked pointless here anyway, but my youngest boy turned 24 and a nice superbowl party took precedence. Looks like some constant, cooler weather ahead. Things should improve. Pretty lackluster early season for me ....so far!!! Happy Fishing!!!!