Driftless Trout Anglers

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages<12
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Hoggies  
#11 Posted : Sunday, February 9, 2020 7:58:51 PM(UTC)
Hoggies

Man
United States

Was thanked: 22 time(s) in 21 post(s)
I'm going with some guys who went the same time last year... They were on fish in 2-15 feet of water. I have a 15' polyleader (airflow salmon extra super fast) but I might get a sink tip or full sink line if I don't end up buying a new rod.

As of right I have baitfish patterns sizes 2-6 (clouser, home invader, zonker, zoo cougar, bananarama), buggers size 4-10 with and without beads, some small crayfish patterns, foam poppers in the 2-6 range, and a couple articulated streamers. The only ones I have trouble getting to send are some "trophy craws" that came from big y... They're a dungeon front end with a split rabbit strip on the back hook so it looks like a crayfish. It's like trying to cast one of those slippers that's shaped like a bear's foot.
madguy30  
#12 Posted : Sunday, February 9, 2020 8:16:32 PM(UTC)
madguy30

Was thanked: 14 time(s) in 13 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Hoggies Go to Quoted Post
I'm going with some guys who went the same time last year... They were on fish in 2-15 feet of water. I have a 15' polyleader (airflow salmon extra super fast) but I might get a sink tip or full sink line if I don't end up buying a new rod.

As of right I have baitfish patterns sizes 2-6 (clouser, home invader, zonker, zoo cougar, bananarama), buggers size 4-10 with and without beads, some small crayfish patterns, foam poppers in the 2-6 range, and a couple articulated streamers. The only ones I have trouble getting to send are some "trophy craws" that came from big y... They're a dungeon front end with a split rabbit strip on the back hook so it looks like a crayfish. It's like trying to cast one of those slippers that's shaped like a bear's foot.

A big woolly bugger I think also looks like a crayfish. Tends to do really well in places where there's a lot of crayfish and smallmouth.

I can't bring myself to get a sinking line although maybe it'd be fun to tinker with. A few years ago I was having smallmouth come from like 15 feet down to hit hoppers on a really clear water lake so I know they'll move far just to eat if needed.

I'm attempting to plan a small yakpacking voyage in June somewhere up north and am already excited to find a mix of species.
Hoggies  
#13 Posted : Sunday, February 9, 2020 8:47:42 PM(UTC)
Hoggies

Man
United States

I saw those new (and expensive) multi-density sink tips and thought I might be able to do a dumbed down version by using polyleaders on full sink line.
Colorado to MN  
#14 Posted : Sunday, February 9, 2020 8:55:35 PM(UTC)
Colorado to MN

United States

Was thanked: 9 time(s) in 7 post(s)
I saw those new (and expensive) multi-density sink tips and thought I might be able to do a dumbed down version by using polyleaders on full sink line.

If you look on eBay, you can find discontinued Scientific Anglers full sink lines for less than $40. At least when I bought it last fall. The moderate price lines cast just as well as the super expensive lines. My all-time favorite fly line is SA aircel.
madguy30  
#15 Posted : Sunday, February 9, 2020 10:20:33 PM(UTC)
madguy30

Was thanked: 14 time(s) in 13 post(s)
Does a poly leader work pretty well to get a fly down at least a bit more than typical?

Never really looked into them...might be an option.

Hoggies  
#16 Posted : Monday, February 10, 2020 1:32:31 AM(UTC)
Hoggies

Man
United States

Originally Posted by: Colorado to MN Go to Quoted Post

If you look on eBay, you can find discontinued Scientific Anglers full sink lines for less than $40. At least when I bought it last fall. The moderate price lines cast just as well as the super expensive lines. My all-time favorite fly line is SA aircel.

If I pick up an 8 weight (thinking maybe an Echo Ion XL), I may overweight with 9wt aircel because Amazon has it for under $20 right now.

cschub13  
#17 Posted : Tuesday, February 11, 2020 12:48:26 AM(UTC)
cschub13

Man

I take a fly rod to the BWCA every year I go up. I started out using a 5wt for smallies, pike and walleye, and you should not have a problem fighting most fish on a 6wt. The last few years I have upgraded to an 8wt because we started going in early May for big pike and lake trout, and that certainly handles any sized smallie no problem.

For the most part, you should be just fine with a floating line or sink tip line. That time of year, in my experience, smallies are generally still pretty shallow, and usually right up against the shoreline at dusk. Clousers, bunny streamers, and poppers will be deadly.

Edited by user Tuesday, February 11, 2020 12:50:13 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified